aliens

Author Topic: soldier gen  (Read 6151 times)

Offline MFive

• Captain
  • Lazy Sectoid
    • View Profile
soldier gen
« on: October 04, 2012, 02:36:10 am »
would it be possible to make it so the soldiers are generated in a different  range the the max stat section in the .ruleset?

i am trying to make it so that your soldiers can lvl up to 200TU's(have been trying to let me soldiers become all that humanity has to offer, the 200m dash record would have needed 200TU's to make it in 9.6 seconds(correct me if i am wrong on that) but they just spawn with tons of TU's(i got one at 200 O.o) and was wondering if that was possible, thanks for the amazing work you guys have done

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: soldier gen
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 03:44:47 am »
The stats in the ruleset only affect new soldiers, not "levelling up".

I'm not sure what you're asking for.

Offline MFive

• Captain
  • Lazy Sectoid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 04:47:18 am »
it was perhaps ill-phrased pleas allow me to clarify.

normally your soldiers can only increase there stats up-to a specified amount, for TU's it is 80 and it is also within the range that you can receive soldiers, i am asking if you can make that a separate number, for example make it so you could receive soldiers at 80 TU's but allow them to increase it threw normal means up to, say 100 or 120(200 in my case) basically a separate set of stats for new soldiers and that of witch they can achieve.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 05:36:05 am by MFive »

Volutar

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 06:37:16 am »
Each soldier having its own progress cap? Interesting idea, if you won't be having any information on numbers for particular soldier. And you'll never know this value before you reach it.
Though realizing this will be kinda pain, because you need to have this number hidden from back-engineering. If this hiding will be possible - I'll vote for this idea. It's like some sort of surprising talents for some soldiers, without a chance of evaluating it in advance.

But I'm affraid hiding is impossible, and eventually everyone will be using this util (which will show this cap), and will be sacking soldiers just after recruiting. Or - replacing these capping values with larger ones.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 06:43:10 am by Volutar »

Offline darkestaxe

• Colonel
  • Emissary of the Brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 10:13:22 am »
I think MFive is only asking for stat caps to be included in the rulesets, although that's an interesting idea Volutar.

Lets clarify our terminology. The smallest amount of TUs that soldier can have when you buy them is the TU spawn min and the most they can have is the TU spawn max, because when you buy a soldier she "spawns" with some amount of TUs in that range. When she kicks ass on lots of missions and gets her TUs up as high as she ever can, the maximum amount of TUs she can ever achieve (without cheating/hacking) is the TU cap.

Currently in the ruleset each stat has a min and max spawn value that is used for all soldiers. In MFives idea (and common sense, it's probably in the works) each stat will have a min spawn, max spawn, and a cap specified in the ruleset. Basically, the caps are missing from the rulesets because SupSuper hasn't moved them yet.

In Volutars idea, which will likely have to wait for 1.0, the ruleset would have min-max spawn and min-max caps for each stat and each soldier would have their own caps, rolled at purchase, which determine the caps used for that soldier.

In my idea she would probably roll 45 TUs from the spawn min-max and 58 TUs from the cap min-max, because she has a vagina and I'm sexist.

Offline MFive

• Captain
  • Lazy Sectoid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 07:34:14 pm »
I think MFive is only asking for stat caps to be included in the rulesets, although that's an interesting idea Volutar.

Lets clarify our terminology. The smallest amount of TUs that soldier can have when you buy them is the TU spawn min and the most they can have is the TU spawn max, because when you buy a soldier she "spawns" with some amount of TUs in that range. When she kicks ass on lots of missions and gets her TUs up as high as she ever can, the maximum amount of TUs she can ever achieve (without cheating/hacking) is the TU cap.

Currently in the ruleset each stat has a min and max spawn value that is used for all soldiers. In MFives idea (and common sense, it's probably in the works) each stat will have a min spawn, max spawn, and a cap specified in the ruleset. Basically, the caps are missing from the rulesets because SupSuper hasn't moved them yet.

that is exactly what i was trying to ask, thanks darkestaxe for the clarification on my request :D

Offline SuperVGA

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 12:56:49 pm »
Though realizing this will be kinda pain, because you need to have this number hidden from back-engineering. If this hiding will be possible - I'll vote for this idea.
But I'm affraid hiding is impossible, and eventually everyone will be using this util (which will show this cap), and will be sacking soldiers just after recruiting. Or - replacing these capping values with larger ones.

If they're set on using utilities to make their new recruits better, they'll use it to edit their soldiers anyways.
It's always like this with offline games, and there's always a way to edit values, no matter how hard you try to hide them. You're right that it's impossible to prevent.
But this regards all game mechanics. All existing and all future ones. -So I say let cheaters cheat; they will do so no matter what.

As for the idea:
    I think it's brilliant. Maybe the min & max could follow a normal distribution rather than a uniform one, so you could feel extra lucky when you find a high outlier. :D
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 01:21:10 pm by SuperVGA »