Author Topic: Newbe questions  (Read 302558 times)

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
Re: Newbe questions
« Reply #510 on: August 13, 2018, 12:16:12 am »
Not to mention the ludicrous rarity of the shadow orb components to even make the one.

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: August 13, 2018, 01:27:24 am »
And on Cydonia:
Where is the f... brain to kill?

This still happens?  What's causing this and why hasn't it been fixed yet?  I got lucky this time and the brain did spawn, but it didn't on the first couple of times I played and had to kill all the enemies to finish the game.  I'm afraid you'll have to do the same here (kill 'em all).

Offline cc

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: August 13, 2018, 06:22:26 am »
Does EMP (grenades) do any damage to non-shields? I`m thinking of armour and health.
Unless the unit is immune to EMP damage, EMP grenades will damage health.

And about the security corridor. Does it close the hole sewers in the base for the enemy or only below the corridor? I hate hunting aliens in the sewers.
Only bellow the corridor. It helps you to keep the enemy contained since there's only a few places (Access Lift, Hangar, Summoning Circle, Luxury Spa) where they can spawn.

EDIT: Missing a ]
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 06:10:21 pm by cc »

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
  • Pet Lokk'Nar 9,99 $/hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: August 13, 2018, 11:55:35 am »
The security corridor blocks the sewers below it only. If you wanna gate the enemy entirely from going through the severs you've to use the corridor ACROSS the whole base layout.

Gas/Fire is a bit more useful to a degree but base-defence remains a pain to deal with and excess use of dogs and cheap/disposable scouts is adviced.
The free access to the severs is something I question to exist. With the extreme threats thrown at the player in form of plasma-weaponry (or cryssalisks rushing through the sever systems) it's a tedious experience I simply 'deal with'. The advantage of sneaking your own troops through the sewers is massively screwed the way the sewer sucks TUs and stamina on an increased value even worse than evil-grass.

Nerfing the TU/stamina penalty in the sewer tiles would be a buff to the enemies so the sewers are problematic regardless of viewpoint.
One solution is camping EVERY ladder that leaves the sewers. Also camping EVERY air-vent that's connected to the hangars. Piratez ain't easy you know ;)

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: August 13, 2018, 11:59:44 am »
Or wait until turn 15 after the initial slaughter and the clearing of the hangars and hope no more than 2 enemies chose the sewers.
It is especially annoying as a lot of enemies seem to stop moving once they are out of the sewers, so not even dogs or aye-phones are of much use. After a couple attacks you'll know where they usually go in that base though.

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
  • Pet Lokk'Nar 9,99 $/hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: August 13, 2018, 01:24:16 pm »
I prep for the worst across all bases. Some "standard" equipment for splash- damage, good melee-items, fire, shotguns and lots of dogs/ other aux units.

"Aggressive Retaliation" is not a good Mod to have installed and quickly inflates/deflates the difficulty. At first it's annoying but all the extra money out of the plasma-equipment quickly ramps up to a massive spike in power. The normal shedule of sentry/fighter crackdown approach can be entirely nullified once you can supply a fighter-craft that out-ranges the fighter /sentry.

Grey codex' conversion-launcher is one of the best solutions to boot. Outranges both ships and does enough damage to gun 'em down.
2x normal Seagull does it as well but you've to exchange fire now, causing downtime and costs more in the longrun.

Lancer-missiles are the "all-codex" alternative to the conversion launcher. Expensive but very reliable to do this specific job. Not the best damage potencial so no-go for big targets.
That's what the meteor-rockets are for. Once money is plenty, stockpile meteors in every base with a fighter in it and you can defeat almost every ship.

Offline LouisdeFuines

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: August 13, 2018, 06:41:51 pm »
I read all your advices and descpritions but still don`t see the point of the security corridor.

Ok, the sewers are closed UNDER that corridor, but at none point else. So the enemy just takes another room to go the sewers. And one of the most annoying things can still occur: The enemy troops go to areas in the sewers above which is no building.

So they can spread VERY wide.

And one thing about the map. How am I supposed to reach the southern aircraft on the map? I started a new game. So I don`t have flying armour yet.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 07:08:07 pm by LouisdeFuines »

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: August 13, 2018, 07:14:50 pm »
Tough luck, it happens. Just leave or wait at the edge of the water and hope all enemies leave the craft.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: August 13, 2018, 07:15:14 pm »
Yeah thats just vanilla map rng. Reworking map tilesets to prevent such things is a very labor intensive process for something that happens pretty infrequently, ie less then once a campaign. And at least that example requires rebuilding/overriding vanilla assets which is another layer of complexity. 

niculinux

« Reply #519 on: August 13, 2018, 07:23:01 pm »
I read all your advices and descpritions but still don`t see the point of the security corridor.

Ok, the sewers are closed UNDER that corridor, but at none point else. So the enemy just takes another room to go the sewers. And one of the most annoying things can still occur: The enemy troops go to areas in the sewers above which is no building.

So they can spread VERY wide.

my 2 cents, i always use these yo separate access lift from other facilities, very useful whrn the hideout is asssulted: 80% of attackers access via lift, so using the corridor will prevent to have them literally at your back, plus you can ambysh them while crossing the corridor. its near mandatory on "jack sparrow".

But i don't see why the remainimg 2-3 enemies alwsy goes in the sewers, more rarely in the corridor upstairs, i alway have to chase them to bag'em. mzybe its a (strange) ai behavior?

Offline ElGrillo

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: August 13, 2018, 07:30:03 pm »
Noob question,
Where / How do I get a BFG? after many playthroughs I've never seen those.

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: August 13, 2018, 07:43:53 pm »
The Dark Ones sometimes have them.

Offline LouisdeFuines

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: August 13, 2018, 08:11:16 pm »
In the tech tree, what does [ i ] next to an item stand for?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 08:48:48 pm by LouisdeFuines »

Offline Marza

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: August 13, 2018, 08:47:54 pm »
It means that item is available to buy from the black market when the technology is researched.

Offline wolfreal

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: August 13, 2018, 09:54:33 pm »