aliens

Author Topic: 40k Imperial Guard Operations  (Read 59161 times)

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
40k Imperial Guard Operations
« on: June 11, 2018, 12:24:28 am »
This mod is now rolled into the base 40k mod and will no longer be supported separately from the base mod. Check out the new combined version on the mod portal or the forum download page!

I'm leaving this thread open to discuss Imperial Guard-specific content, but any new versions will be released as part of the base mod.

Dioxine, Solarius Scorch, and I have been greatly enjoying bulletdesigner's 40k mod, but have been thinking that the Imperial Guard gameplay could be improved.  Therefore, we're release this mod that creates a tech tree choice between playing as the Ultramarines from the original mod, or playing as a regiment of the Imperial Guard!  The mod includes new weapons, armors, and craft exclusive to the guard so you can truly overwhelm the enemy with superior numbers if not firepower.

Only the first "tier" of weapons and craft are done right now, so expect more content in the future!

To play this mod, make sure you have Meridian's and Yankes' OXCE installed as well as the base 40k mod by bulletdesigner.

It is recommended to start a new campaign with this mod if you've been playing without it, as it makes significant changes to the research tree.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 09:15:16 pm by ohartenstein23 »

Offline Yataka Shimaoka

• Colonel
  • I'm the trouble maker
    • View Profile
Re: 40k Imperial Guard Operations
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 05:23:28 pm »
Hey! Liking it! Do tell if this one independent or do require the 40k mod

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 05:31:52 pm »
Hey! Liking it! Do tell if this one independent or do require the 40k mod

Just read previous post again.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 04:20:09 pm »
Helping with this mod is the least I can do to repay for the fun Bulletdesigner has brought to us all. Keep it up, man!

Offline bulletdesigner

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 02:52:21 am »
ho man all i can say is thks, i really appreciate all of your kindness

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 04:29:11 pm »
New version time!

1.1:
  • Added the heavy stubber
  • Reduced autogun and autopistol ammo costs
  • Moved the mounted autocannon to its own research unlocked by mid-tier requisitions
  • Added the Chimera as an early craft, slow but carries lots of troops and vehicles
  • Increased Long-Las TU cost to ensure only 2 snaps/turn, increased snap range to compensate
  • Added upgraded guard barracks to train your rookies up
  • Added missing bullet sprite for long-las
  • Fixed Hot Shot ammo appearing too early in Long-Las article
  • Fixed Lasgun pedia article showing up for IG when researched instead of Long-Las

The Chimera map is a stand-in for now, even though the smaller modified Mudranger is darn cute.

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2018, 02:37:48 pm »
Wow, very interesting mod! Too bad that Commissars won't be able to execute cowardly Guardsmen to restore morale... Or will they?  :D

Let's see where this goes.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2018, 11:10:50 pm »
Wow, very interesting mod! Too bad that Commissars won't be able to execute cowardly Guardsmen to restore morale... Or will they?  : D

Let's see where this goes.

Yes, it is planned that they will! I just hadn't written the script that would handle that yet.

Edit: New version released, including the ability to execute traitors!  Your troops can be promoted into officers now too using the recently-added soldier transformations code as well, but not all of their features are implemented yet.

1.2:
  • Added Imperial Guard Officers as a new soldier type
  • Added an Officer's Sword to inspire the troops
  • Commissars can now execute traitors to raise morale
  • Imperial Guard troops can now gain promotions
  • Traitors are now marked for your convenience
  • Valkyrie Drop Transport is no longer lost at the end of a failed mission
  • Fixed mounted autocannon showing with wrong research
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 03:32:55 am by ohartenstein23 »

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 01:18:02 am »
Thanks to bulletdesigner's MCD work, I'm releasing a new version with a vastly improved Chimera map!  It also includes turrets for the Chimera as a purchasable HWP as a preview for new mechanics I'm working on in OXCE+ that would allow for spawning the turret as part of the craft naturally instead of having to load it as a HWP.

• New map for the Chimera!
  • Temporarily added Chimera Turrets as a HWP, and increased Chimera crew size to allow for them
  • Added anti-air defense weapons for ground-based craft like the Chimera
  • Added strength and melee accuracy scaling to bayonet power
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 03:12:01 pm by ohartenstein23 »

Offline Anon011

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2018, 09:58:24 pm »
Hello, first of all i would like to say big thank you to the creator of 40k mod Bulletdesigner and creators of this submod. I really enjoy both of those mods and since i like both OpenXcom and WH40k universe I decided to help contribute something to the mod.

Secondly i have no experience at all when it comes to pixelart and modding but after few tries i managed to create few "Bigobs" weapon sprites, im sorry for not keeping original color scheme but as i said im not good at this, feel free to modify and use those sprites to your heart content. I also didnt try to make any .rul files since i dont know how to attach sprite to items.rul or research.rul and how to properly balance the thing.

Here are attached: Hand held lascanon, Hotshot lasgun, Las Carabine and Plasma. Lore wise i used Only War Core Rulebook as a reference and i attached pages used too. Those weapons meant to be something more of a tier 2 weapons as the campaign progresses.

Please tell me what you think about this

Offline Yataka Shimaoka

• Colonel
  • I'm the trouble maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2018, 12:30:26 am »
Looks nice! Hopes this finds good use for the mod, specially with the I.G at play

Offline bulletdesigner

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2018, 12:34:38 am »
thks, for all the help we really appreciate.
We already have some of those sprites ( you can see all in the resources folder in the mod, if you want search to make something new),  carabine looks good, hotshot needs some retouches, maybe it will be used in the future (personally my hand are full maybe ohartenstein will add more weapons)
Adding guns the hard work is in the hand object´s where we have to make the weapon face all directions in units hand, the main reason it´s hard to keep adding guns (IMO)

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2018, 12:35:27 am »
Hi Anon011 and welcome to the forums! Thanks also for the sprites, any new artwork is appreciated around here. Although, the lascannon and plasma rifle are already in the mod - you can see all the weapons by the 'quick battle' option from the main menu - I might use the carbine with some minimal tweaking and the outline of the hostshot lasgun will be useful once I am ready to introduce those.

You chose a good reference for the weapons - if you look at the in-game codex, many of the line art images will look familiar.

Offline Anon011

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2018, 01:37:52 am »
Thank you for the warm words very much guys! I really appreciate it.

Spoiler:
I also wanted to create a sprite for Bullgryns/Ogryns with could fill the role of close combat unit for IG since compared to Space Marines they kinda lack this option. But this was far outside of my skill range so i guess ill just leave this idea floating here. For this purpose i tried to re-purpose Chtonite sprite from excellent Solarius Scorch The X-Com Files mod as it kinda fits posture wise and size but as i said, its outside of my skill range and i didnt menage to produce anything worthy of posting here.

Offline Anon011

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2018, 08:18:23 pm »
So i decided to tinker little bit more with sprites, i know mine are obviously sub par and to be honest pretty ugly but i decided to share them regardless as they maybe might be useful in some case.

Here we have: Bullgryn (as i said in post earlier repurposed Chtonite from "The X-Com Files", Tau repurposed from Eldar sprite and 3rd image is another Tau variant.

Obviously those sprites are nowhere near finished or final but since i dont know what else i could do with them ill just post them here.