aliens

Author Topic: Behind the Eight-Ball Playthrough  (Read 17221 times)

Offline Wimples

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Behind the Eight-Ball Playthrough
« on: May 12, 2018, 08:45:11 pm »
I probably would not host in on Youtube since I'm don't have a channel. I could do screenshots and after-action reports.

I like to play with the FMP, but I want to add these limitations:

1. No avalanche missiles
2. Only 50 scientists (Does anyone know how long it would take to research everything? I'm guessing 2-3 years.)
3. No Plasma, Fusion, Rail or Gauss tech. Nuclear laser tech will be the go-to once it is researched.
4. UFO Extender Accuracy - no auto-shots across the map.
5. TFTD damage models
6. No Hyperwave Decoders. (This is personal. knowing the alien type inside the ship takes the fun away.)
7. No psi-amps.

Research limitations:
1. I cannot skip tech levels. All advanced weaponry, then alien alloy tech, lasers, gauss., etc. Alien explosive weaponry (grenades, elerium bombs, and rockets, etc.) can be used or researched (if I get lucky on a data slate or leader) once I am finished with alloy tech.
2. Alien corpses must be researched immediately. Live aliens can be researched at any time after the corpse.
3. Alien data slates can be researched at any time for things like medi-kits, psi-labs, etc.

The Goal: I'm going to be seriously behind in research by March and will probably be using default weaponry + alloy tech for a long time. It's going to be a trial of survival for the 2-3 years it takes to get to Cydonia.

Every soldier will get grenades and a melee weapon. I'm thinking of adding the following classes:

1. Demolition (no more than two) (Rocket launchers with pistol sidearm)
2. Heavies (Heavy/Auto cannon, machine guns, etc)
3. Grenadiers (shotguns will be default firearm)
4. Riflemen
5. Snipers (no more than two)

Roles can change depending on aliens encountered. Like flamethrowers for base defense missions involving cyberdiscs....

Anyone interested in volunteering?

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Behind the Eight-Ball Playthrough
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 09:20:59 am »
Private Reaver, reporting for duty!

(I got voluntold)

I'm a weakling but I have spirit.

Offline Wimples

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
The Adventures of Wimples and Private Reaver
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 12:03:50 am »
Behind the 8-Ball: After Action Report #1
The Adventures of Wimples and Private Reaver

(I'm not sure how to post screenshots using the forums. Could someone kindly direct me?)

Our initial skirmishes between our Interceptors and their small craft ended with 3 destroyed UFOs. Our scientists researched motion scanners shortly before our first mission against a landed UFO. It was shaped like a square, and that is when we met them. The grays...

After smoking the LZ. Private Reaver was immediately shot and went unconscious. Fortunately, we were able to revive him and treat his three life threatening injuries pronto. The two aliens staring up in our craft were quickly dispatched by Private Clark and random rocket dude #1. A third alien was eliminated by means of a grenade thrown by Private Wimples.

Quick to return to the fray, Private Reaver spotted an alien, but his injuries caused him to miss the shot. RandomRocketDude#2 cleaned up afterwards.

There were a few close calls on this mission. We learned the grays are not to be taken lightly. Garber almost got shot, and Clark ended the mission by smoking the last gray with a shotgun.

We sent Private Reaver to the hospital, and expect him out of the infirmary with a couple of weeks.

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 12:28:21 am »
(To post screenshots use the [ img ] http://www.website.com/image.png [ /img ] tags. To see how someone else did it, use the quote function to see their tags and other HTML or CSS code.)

See? I told you I had spirit!

(Don't let me out of the infirmary early. I'll try to walk with injuries.)

Offline Wimples

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 04:23:29 am »
Thanks! Can I use the img tag to link to pictures on my pc or does it have to be uploaded to the web?

I"m not used to Sectoids running right up to the ramp and shooting in very often. I couldn't evacuate due to stuff staring at me.

I've got really bad luck with retaliation, so we might be hiding in rooms melting cyberdiscs that float by soon...

Offline Wimples

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 05:14:37 am »
After Action Report #2
The Adventures of Wimples and Reaver (Hospitalized for 16 days)
January 13

We need to figure out how the aliens are seeing through smoke. One hostile gray aimed what we think is a plasma rifle and indiscriminately fired inside the aircraft. Fortunately, we were all on the ground save for Random Guy #3, who died.

Ground Mission #2 was a craft that survived the crash completely intact. We're confused how that happened, but were able to clear the site around the UFO with only one casualty. Poor Random Guy #3. We will miss him. The craft was a small, three level ship that we suspect has some access to the roof. We kept trying to throw proximity grenades on the top, but our aim was off and it kept bouncing off the side. We'll need to warn the destruction team when they arrive on site.

Our motion scanning technology came in really handy when venturing inside the craft. We found a large lift-area. We could not throw proximity grenades in the middle, but we were able to kill a couple hostiles while safely outside the door.  They seem to patrol in certain ways, so we stayed outside the door and pushed in and killed them one by one.

We've set our scientists to researching a gray corpse. Maybe they'll come up with something useful for us.

We could use more recruits.

Offline Starving Poet

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 05:34:30 am »
Sign me up!  Starving Poet is up for whatever role needs filling.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: The Adventures of Wimples and Private Reaver
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 11:05:32 pm »
Quick to return to the fray, Private Reaver spotted an alien, but his injuries caused him to miss the shot.

That's definitely why I missed the shot. Certainly has nothing to do with me playing Laser Squad when I should have been on the shooting range.

I was found at the range in the middle of the night unable to walk back to bed. What was I doing out of the infirmary? The world may never know. Hopefully this incident won't add too many days to my bedrest time.

You should give Starving Poet a rocket launcher.

Thanks! Can I use the img tag to link to pictures on my pc or does it have to be uploaded to the web?
Click Attachments and other options to post from your hard drive. If you post one of the recognized image formats, people will see the image here. But to make it large, you must post it from the web. You can use Imgur to upload images to the web for use on forums and such.
P.S.: can you post the AAR docx?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 11:11:10 pm by The Reaver of Darkness »

Offline Wimples

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 11:30:10 pm »
Reaver - I'll upload to imgur. I'll create an account before going much further so we can have picture goodness. The next mission was a total riot. I had to reset halfway through because Starving Poet lit himself on fire and died...

Also - 20% chance of alien retaliation seems to be 100% for me, at least in January. The next mission was a base defense, but it wasn't against Sectoids...

The Adventures of Wimples, Private Reaver (Hospitalized for 16 days), and a Starving Poet:
Mission 3: When Poets Warn of Danger
January 13th - literally two hours after mission 2.

On our way back to the base we found a man banging on the front of our door. At first we ignored him, but he started telling us how he spotted weird crafts flying around the area. Knowing that our radar did not detect everything, we grew suspicious.

And then it happened…

The biggest alien craft we ever saw landed. Right. Next. To. Our. Base! In a panic, we drug the newcomer into the base with us and began emergency evacuations. Not having time to evacuate him as well, we enlisted Starving Poet into the ranks.

He had the misfortune in hiding inside our storage facility located right next to the hangar and the access bay. All he could find before diving for cover was a flamethrower, submachine gun, and a proximity grenade. I sure hope he ends up ok.

We expected grays, which we were not very scared of at this point. Physically, they were weaker than we were. Although they had fast reflexes and reasonable accuracy, if this was the best the aliens had to offer then we were in for an easy war.

What we got instead was giant, two legged furry monsters and these weird, red aliens with capes that could float. Scientists called them Floaters. We still haven’t figured out why they wear capes… we suspect the furries bite, but they did not make it close enough to do any damage and were too dumb to open the doors where we were hiding.

Proximity grenades worked very well against these invaders. Starving Poet also earned himself a home after taking out one with a proximity grenade and another with a flamethrower. He also killed three of the furries before running out of ammunition. You would think aliens wouldn’t create something so vulnerable to fire…

It wasn’t long until we started hearing shooting in the hangars. None of us were in there, but the next group of floaters ventured into our defense zone unarmed. It was pretty stupid of them to do that.

It got very quiet after the last two furries walked into proximity grenades. We ended up clearing the few remaining floaters in the hangars. 25 kills overall, no deaths or injuries. Starving Poet was awarded the Bolt’s Cross, but the alien died shortly thereafter. We don’t know how to keep them alive in our environment.

Offline Starving Poet

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2018, 12:00:24 am »
I should probably retire now, I'm never going to beat that performance.

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2018, 04:07:12 am »
You can and you will, damnit!

Starving Poet, recruit to top rank faster than Kirk in Jar Jar Abrams' film?

Offline Wimples

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2018, 11:28:33 pm »
Starving Poet, recruit to top rank faster than Kirk in Jar Jar Abrams' film?

He'll have to make it past Captain Clark. One of my best friends irl who is having a very good campaign with shotguns and grenades...
I added the images in the AAR3.docx. Still working on doing something like imgur.

I should probably retire now, I'm never going to beat that performance.

I'll try not to get any of us killed. Motion Scanners have really helped. What worries me are the Cyberdiscs I'm sure I'll find on the first terror mission. And the mind control on the Lab Ship. Maybe I'll get lucky and one or both will be floater missions.

The Adventures of Wimples, Private Reaver (Hospitalized 15 days), and a Starving Poet
AAR #4: Landing Site #3
January 14th, 1999
Much Ado about Floaters

We decided to give Starving Poet a Rocket Launcher. He seems to specialize in heavy munitions, and has the strength to carry stuff nobody else wants. The day after our base defense we detected another UFO in the sky. Our Interceptor was scrambled to shoot it down, but it landed first. I wonder what is in store…

We loaded into the Skyraider and landed close by. Like really close by. Next to a UFO type we had not engaged before. Remembering our lessons from the last mission, we all quickly exited the craft to find…nothing. We decided that the need to secure the ship was a higher priority than scouting around first, and split the team into two groups. Motion scanners really paid off, as we were able to gun down all five floaters within the ship without any surprise. The ones outside the ship were handled as well, with Starving Poet getting a kill. Wimples tried to get another, but can't hit the broad side of a barn (he even missed the wall behind the floater...). We'll need to work on accuracy somehow. That floater got fragged by Captain Clark.

Offline Wimples

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2018, 12:35:29 am »
The Adventures of Wimples, Private Reaver (Still hospitalized), and a Starving Poet
AAR 5: Landed Mission 3
January 23rd
It’s really dark at night time.

It's the third time I am typing this report. The lack of sleep and having to perform emergency surgery on a comrade has really taken its toll. The fact that the gray was waiting for us to round the corner before opening fire was a surprise to us. Before this they would randomly wander around and get themselves shot. Now it seems like they are taking us more seriously. We will have to exercise extreme caution, as their flanking and traps almost got us killed.

We managed to clear up the squad of eight on this large scout without any deaths. I really wish the scientists would research weaponry instead of corpses. I feel that we are not maximizing our potential...

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2018, 09:14:44 am »
I'm liking the docx format. If it works for you it works for me.

Offline Wimples

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2018, 04:31:31 pm »
I'm liking the docx format. If it works for you it works for me.

I'm having fun with it. It lets me tell a story as I go along. I'm already annoyed at my research limitations. I'm stuck researching a reaper corpse instead of stuff that helps me kill things. Nobody is strong enough to start flinging high explosives around yet. One of the tougher baddies to fight will be the laser tanks from MiB. I'll have to smoke areas and then sneak up with flamethrowers or alloy swords. Fortunately, alloy ammo lets me kill most things, and the rest I can get with a flame thrower or sword. I'm guessing the +adds damage from strength is a one to one correlation, where the sword does 50 damage + x, where x = strength. I've one-shot a Sectopod this way with a soldier with 70 strength. Getting close can be a chore.

The cool thing about this playthrough is I've got enough grav modules to give everyone flying personal armor. My usual strategy is to avoid being shot at altogether, so nobody has armor at this point. Being able to fly let's me take advantage of sniper and rocket launching positions.

No updates today. Would like a few more volunteers if anyone wants. Once I go Skymarshall I'll need 16 soldiers.