Author Topic: Reversing to Orion - project 1oom  (Read 56438 times)

Offline Kilgore T.M. Replicant

• Colonel
  • Mangia!
    • View Profile
Re: Reversing to Orion - project 1oom
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2018, 03:55:34 am »
Looking at your code show that is indeed nearly drop in replacement, one file to change and rest of code base use fixed interface.
I expect the difficult part to be configure.ac. The video code could probably be copy/pasted from Chocolate Doom 3.0 as it is also aspect ratio corrected 320x200.

• Colonel
  • Mangia!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2018, 03:58:01 am »
I would suggest using gitter chat then. It can be linked to a regular IRC channel along the project's github, and it logsand highlights messages directed at you.
I do not agree with their terms of service. Thanks again for the bug reports!

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2018, 11:34:42 pm »
Here's a Windows build if anyone wants to try it, just drop it in your MOO1 folder. For some reason audio doesn't seem to be working on Windows.

Sent you a pull request with the fixes I had to do: https://github.com/KilgoreTroutMaskReplicant/1oom/pull/5
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 01:15:10 am by SupSuper »

• Colonel
  • Mangia!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2018, 05:17:39 am »
Here's a Windows build if anyone wants to try it, just drop it in your MOO1 folder. For some reason audio doesn't seem to be working on Windows.

Sent you a pull request with the fixes I had to do: https://github.com/KilgoreTroutMaskReplicant/1oom/pull/5
Wow, thanks! Merged. I'll see what wine says about the EXEs, but I doubt I can help with the audio issue (unless it's the complete lack of SDL_mixer).

edit: Looks like it is the missing SDL_mixer as stated in stderr (which I guess is kind of hard to see in Windows). Can't help much in fixing that.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 09:49:21 am by Kilgore T.M. Replicant »

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2018, 11:06:57 pm »
Nice catch, I fixed it and updated the download. The problem was MXE uses static libs by default, which your autoconf doesn't handle. You need to use `pkg-config --libs --static SDL_mixer` to catch all the SDL_mixer dependencies, just -lSDL_mixer won't do.

Shared libs would probably be more efficient, but that's beyond the scope of my meager "I just wanna play this on Windows" effort. :P

Offline Hythlodaeus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2018, 12:00:54 am »
Good news, just finished the game for the first time (on easiest difficulty), with no more random crashes. Still much testing to be done, especially in regards to AI, but for now I can confirm the game is at the very least finishable!

What an amazing achievement this project is, considering it is only at alpha phase!

• Colonel
  • Mangia!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2018, 06:10:29 am »
The problem was MXE uses static libs by default, which your autoconf doesn't handle. You need to use `pkg-config --libs --static SDL_mixer` to catch all the SDL_mixer dependencies, just -lSDL_mixer won't do.

Good job figuring that out! I guess the autoconf needs "--enable-static" that takes care of this. This can be hard for me to test and I hate fiddling with autocrap so I'll leave it up to the hands of kind, statically linking strangers.

Shared libs would probably be more efficient, but that's beyond the scope of my meager "I just wanna play this on Windows" effort. :P

Thanks to your efforts, I can sleep sound knowing that the code works on the most popular desktop spy platform operating system. I'd be happy if you (or someone else) could make a such a zip for the homepage could link to when I tag a v0.x release.

• Colonel
  • Mangia!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2018, 03:07:32 pm »
A quick status update:
- Experimental SDL2 support has landed on the git repo. If you have experience with SDL2, now's the perfect time to lend a hand.
- Many bugs have been eradicated thanks to the reports from Hythlodaeus. Many bugs remain. Help with testing is appreciated.

• Colonel
  • Mangia!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2018, 08:25:50 pm »
Finally managed to set up a win32 cross compiler. Thanks for the MXE suggestion!

Problem is that I can not test the binaries. Running in wine gives no music (same for SupSuper's exes) and I have no 32 bit GL libs (or something) so sdl1 is software only and sdl2 crashes on start.

If you use Windows, please grab the attached zip and report how it works. Comparisons on sdl1 vs. sdl2 would be interesting too.

(EDIT: ancient build removed)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 02:50:28 pm by Kilgore T.M. Replicant »

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2018, 08:42:26 pm »
`1oom_classic_sdl1` and `1oom_classic_sdl2` work and have sound, btw change name of readme from your "relese" because it conflict with file with same name from GoG version of MOO1

[ps]

you should probably add `ls` to console version (and pad support too :D ) because I do not see way to find all available planets, something like that:
Code: [Select]
lp [planet_name [max_dist]]       list all planets, if you add name it will sort by distance ascending, you can limit max distance
lf [planet_name [max_dist]]       list all fleets, if you add name it will sort by distance ascending, you can limit max distance
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 02:59:03 am by Yankes »

• Colonel
  • Mangia!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2018, 10:58:10 am »
`1oom_classic_sdl1` and `1oom_classic_sdl2` work and have sound

I want to be 100% sure of this: Do they have music? The sound effects for even on my wine setup.

btw change name of readme from your "relese" because it conflict with file with same name from GoG version of MOO1

Noted. I'll probably shove the other docs under doc/ to reduce the clutter.

you should probably add `ls` to console version (and pad support too :D ) because I do not see way to find all available planets, something like that:
Code: [Select]
lp [planet_name [max_dist]]       list all planets, if you add name it will sort by distance ascending, you can limit max distance
lf [planet_name [max_dist]]       list all fleets, if you add name it will sort by distance ascending, you can limit max distance

Something like this is planned, it's just that less important stuff like Windows ports get in the way. ;)

What is "pad support"?

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2018, 10:36:26 pm »
What is "pad support"?
system console vs game console :>

For music, main menu and landing screen have it. It look its work same as dosbox version.

• Colonel
  • Mangia!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2018, 05:27:43 am »
system console vs game console :>

(insert ASCII drawing of joke flying over head)

For music, main menu and landing screen have it. It look its work same as dosbox version.

Thanks for testing and the suggestions (btw, currently "l *" shows all stars).

--

I'm tempted to drop SDL2 from future win32 zips if there's no clear advantage to it. That dll is too fat for my taste. Better keep it for v0.3... If you have (or know of) a Windows version / setup where SDL1 does not work but SDL2 does then please chime in.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2018, 05:50:01 am »
Finally managed to set up a win32 cross compiler. Thanks for the MXE suggestion!

Problem is that I can not test the binaries. Running in wine gives no music (same for SupSuper's exes) and I have no 32 bit GL libs (or something) so sdl1 is software only and sdl2 crashes on start.

If you use Windows, please grab the attached zip and report how it works. Comparisons on sdl1 vs. sdl2 would be interesting too.
SDL1.2 exe works fine for me but SDL2 exe doesn't even start. ???

Music plays fine. I'm guessing it doesn't work on Wine because it's MIDI, which uses a proprietary driver for playback on Windows.

Once you need more testers, I'd suggest posting a Windows build on the GOG and Steam forums for the original game, you're sure to get a lot of victims players. :)

• Colonel
  • Mangia!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2018, 11:49:20 am »
SDL1.2 exe works fine for me but SDL2 exe doesn't even start. ???

Thanks for testing. Odd to have it not work for some and not for others. Different Windows versions? In any case, I can't debug this problem further and will leave it to the nonexisting win32 maintainer.

Music plays fine. I'm guessing it doesn't work on Wine because it's MIDI, which uses a proprietary driver for playback on Windows.

Ah, makes sense in the "it's MS"  way.

Once you need more testers, I'd suggest posting a Windows build on the GOG and Steam forums for the original game, you're sure to get a lot of victims players. :)

I fear "once" was two weeks ago. Good suggestion, but I'm hesitant on registering to such services. I doubt they take kindly to strangers from Anonymousville, IP random.

help im trapped in a microsoft port factory

(EDIT: ancient build removed)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 02:51:12 pm by Kilgore T.M. Replicant »