Author Topic: Reversing to Orion - project 1oom  (Read 55436 times)

Offline Hythlodaeus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Reversing to Orion - project 1oom
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2018, 06:46:57 pm »
Does it bundle the used libraries? In any case, smells a bit too much like exe+dll->zip solution that Windows folks take for granted. Running random binaries from the net always seemed weird to me and my brand of sliced bread is Gentoo...

I understand that compiling can be tedious in most platforms. In Linux, it's a few commands given in INSTALL. Perhaps one wishes not to have gcc & friends eating HDD space. Still it baffles my puny brain.

This is why for instance snap packages are sandboxed to protect your computer (and appimage can also be sandboxed with an external app). Since you're a Gentoo user I understand where you're coming from, but most regular users do appreciate out-of-the-box convenience over dev libs download and command line fidgeting. I had not compiled anything for a looong time and it took me about 15 mins to figure out how to do it again, only to notice I had missed the INSTALL file all along. Maintaining packages can be tedious, but for the sake of dissemination and visibility, it helps a lot to have precompiled binaries, especially now that snap/appimage allow you to to distribute universal builds.

Thanks for the support. Ask if there is any compiling trouble. I'm from the "play for 1 day every 3 years" group. Never beat the game on Impossible...

I've played it for a bit, and I am really impressed with what I have seen so far. Everything looks pretty tight and functional, and even the intro is already working! How you managed to work on this on your own without any outside feedback whatsoever is quite the achievement!

Visibility would be beneficial, although I don't really need more coders at this point; most bug fixes need to refer to the disassembly.
Screenshots: sure. Video? Nope, don't have the software or experience for it. I do appreciate more PR but fucking suck at it. ;)

I got it to work, so I can snap some screenshots by myself. You really need to launch a proper project webpage for this though, because this project deserves a proper home and discussion forums!

Offline Kilgore T.M. Replicant

• Colonel
  • Mangia!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2018, 09:07:04 pm »
Maintaining packages can be tedious, but for the sake of dissemination and visibility, it helps a lot to have precompiled binaries, especially now that snap/appimage allow you to to distribute universal builds.
I reluctantly agree. I will link to any binaries in the home page (see first post) but will not attempt to make any. I did have a mingw32 cross compiling setup once but am too lazy to set such up again.

You really need to launch a proper project webpage for this though, because this project deserves a proper home and discussion forums!
I admit that taking advantage of openxcom is a bit... skeevy? But I have no experience in creating either. Umm.., patches welcome...?

• Colonel
  • Mangia!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2018, 09:14:38 pm »
I have little experience working with IDA, if that, I can help with general questions.

Here is my plan for reversing games.
1. Defining text strings, renaming functions according to text strings.
I feel this skips step 0: deteriming the "known" file formats. Consider disassembilng libz vs. naming a function "zip_uncompress" based on the parameter and surrouding code. Otherwise your post is spot-on.

Offline Hythlodaeus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2018, 09:23:12 pm »
I would say that at least Windows builds will be essential for more visibility, because Windows users don't know/don't want to use a compiler, and at least 80% of your future playerbase will be running Windows. Maybe you can request someone to help you with binaries in general, given you will only be releasing them on a monthly basis, as you mentioned before. I can try to learn how to make AppImage packages in the meantime to cover the linux side.

And don't feel bad for promoting your stuff in OXC forums. if anything the word should be spread in more places! You just made a fully playable open source clone of Master of Orion, after all!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 09:25:43 pm by Hythlodaeus »

• Colonel
  • Mangia!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2018, 10:07:50 pm »
I would say that at least Windows builds will be essential for more visibility, because Windows users don't know/don't want to use a compiler,
Sad but true, hence my request.

and at least 80% of your future playerbase will be running WindowsAndroid.
FTFY. Also: sad but true.

And don't feel bad for promoting your stuff in OXC forums. if anything the word should be spread in more places!
There are 2 related threads in reddit. I tried to push my shit warez merchandise elsewere but have been met with either IP blocks or "links to illegal content". So thanks to SupSuper! I promise to fuck off if someone sets up the platform. ;) IOW, spread the word.

edit: typos
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 10:07:47 am by Kilgore T.M. Replicant »

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2018, 01:06:00 am »
For windows build I suggest mxc, couple of people there use it t ocreate binaries for public, only drawback is that require linux to setup it.

By build follow this file (with some info about setup): https://github.com/Yankes/OpenXcom/blob/OpenXcomExtended/src/Makefile.mxe

Offline Skin36

• Squaddie
    • View Profile

• Colonel
  • Mangia!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2018, 10:27:35 am »
For windows build I suggest mxc, couple of people there use it t ocreate binaries for public, only drawback is that require linux to setup it.
Cool, a cross compiler + libs builder. Seems very useful. If it supports libsamplerate then setting up for 1oom should be really simple. I will stick with providing the source code.

Offline Skin36

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2018, 11:34:29 am »
I feel this skips step 0: deteriming the "known" file formats. Consider disassembilng libz vs. naming a function "zip_uncompress" based on the parameter and surrouding code. Otherwise your post is spot-on.

this can be done simultaneously. In any case, I will be happy to help.

Offline Hythlodaeus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2018, 12:30:35 pm »
Reported a game crashing bug and a small compiling issue on github.

Further suggestion: create a Freenode IRC channel in order to initiate discussion and report issues more promptly
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 02:36:02 pm by Hythlodaeus »

• Colonel
  • Mangia!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2018, 04:43:40 am »
Reported a game crashing bug and a small compiling issue on github.
Thanks!

Further suggestion: create a Freenode IRC channel in order to initiate discussion and report issues more promptly
I agree that IRC is quite good for that. Unfortunately it does not fit my workflow. I'm online only for brief periods between development bursts.

Offline Hythlodaeus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2018, 12:41:27 pm »
I would suggest using gitter chat then. It can be linked to a regular IRC channel along the project's github, and it logsand highlights messages directed at you.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2018, 02:03:47 am »
There are 2 related threads in reddit. I tried to push my shit warez merchandise elsewere but have been met with either IP blocks or "links to illegal content". So thanks to SupSuper! I promise to fuck off if someone sets up the platform. ;) IOW, spread the word.
Your IP is in a lot of public hitlists so I wonder what you or your neighbors have been up to. :P

https://osgameclones.com/ will probably be interested.

By build follow this file (with some info about setup): https://github.com/Yankes/OpenXcom/blob/OpenXcomExtended/src/Makefile.mxe
I second the recommendation for mxe, we've been using it for the Git Builder and it works great. I'll look into making some Windows binaries.

Any reason you used SDL1.2 instead of SDL2 though?

• Colonel
  • Mangia!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2018, 03:33:50 am »
Your IP is in a lot of public hitlists so I wonder what you or your neighbors have been up to. :P
That's Tor for you. Pursuing anonymity is important wether you are searching for jpegs of Dolores Haze, staging a coup or reversing 25 year old games.

https://osgameclones.com/ will probably be interested.
Nice! I will notify them, thanks.

Any reason you used SDL1.2 instead of SDL2 though?
1. Familiarity and having some code ready for borrowing.
2. Debian libsdl2-dev depending on libwayland and various other odd libs.

Note that simultaneous builds for both (and more) were always in the plan. Someone just needs to implement src/hw/sdl/2. My focus is on bug genocide.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2018, 03:43:10 am »
Note that simultaneous builds for both (and more) were always in the plan. Someone just needs to implement src/hw/sdl/2. My focus is on bug genocide.
Looking at your code show that is indeed nearly drop in replacement, one file to change and rest of code base use fixed interface.