aliens

Author Topic: Newbe needs info on where to find what in code  (Read 32337 times)

Offline Callahan

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Newbe needs info on where to find what in code
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2018, 07:45:54 pm »
Thanks for testing this thoroughly. From my personal experience, I would not say the Lucky Luke experiment is 100% wrong. The only difference I noticed was that the alien does not pass through the door before being shot at. So I still think you got very close to the "door situation" regarding the result.

The most interesting part of all this is that there actually is something that was previously unknown.

I will try to join testing by altering the code to what I believe is happening in vanilla, but I have to put together a new PC from the spare parts in my basement to get visual studio 2010 running.

Offline Callahan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2018, 01:58:58 pm »
I finally got VS 2010 working, but ran into a new issue. I got a compiler error "platformtools v141 not installed".
This platformtool thing is new to me. Where can I find :
A: The v141 platformtool download or install
B: What version I currently have to change the used version in the project to what I have.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2018, 02:11:14 pm »
Did you get this on OpenXcom or on OXCE+ ?
You should not get this for OpenXcom as far as I know...

--

The "OpenXcom.2010.vcxproj" in OXCE+ is actually for VS2017.

But you can downgrade to VS2010 by deleting the following lines (potentially multiple times):

Code: [Select]
<WindowsTargetPlatformVersion>8.1</WindowsTargetPlatformVersion>

Code: [Select]
<PlatformToolset>v141</PlatformToolset>

There's still a high chance it will not work at the end because OXCE+ needs C++11 support... I don't know how much of it VS 2010 actually has.

If you got VS2010 running, I guess you're able to run VS2017 too... which I would highly recommend, it's quite a lot better and also faster... and free (Community Edition).

Offline Callahan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2018, 03:44:49 pm »
Thanks for the advice.
I got your OXCE 3.5 proto code. I want the good stuff.
I've set the toolset to some lower value, but now I get 100+ syntax errors. Does not seem to be downgradeable without a hacksaw.
VS 2017 states to need Win 7 minimum. We shall see.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2018, 03:50:00 pm »
VS2015 should work too... don't know if that helps... lower versions most likely not.

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
  • Squaddie cautiously peering through the breach
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2018, 05:51:20 pm »
I got your OXCE 3.5 proto code. I want the good stuff.

Well said ;)

Offline Callahan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2018, 06:03:09 pm »
2015 does also need Win 7 minimum. I even tried with a Win 7 virtual HD I got from the web, but no luck.
This is so frustrating. My computers where almost new back when I bagged them from the community junkyard. I will have to lookaround for some newer model PC.

In the meantime, I have another question. I took a look into those .rul files. OXC is customizable in an astonishing number of ways. Is there a way to tie weapon damage to completed research?
In detail I wondered if it was possible to give all those alien autopsy research some profit in making gunfire against some units more damaging after autopsy has been researched.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2018, 06:09:12 pm »
In detail I wondered if it was possible to give all those alien autopsy research some profit in making gunfire against some units more damaging after autopsy has been researched.

No, not directly like that.

The closest thing I can think of is have 2 versions of the alien unit/armor... with different damage resistances.
And once the research is completed, the "weaker" aliens would start showing up next month... mission scripts can depend on research triggers.

It might be a considerable amount of repetitive work tho.

Offline Callahan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2018, 06:21:00 pm »
That sounds like it would work. I'll take a look at the mission scripts to get an understanding of the matter. Thanks.

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2018, 06:48:08 pm »
2015 does also need Win 7 minimum. I even tried with a Win 7 virtual HD I got from the web, but no luck.
This is so frustrating. My computers where almost new back when I bagged them from the community junkyard. I will have to lookaround for some newer model PC.

If you're somewhat familiar with Linux,  you could take one of those old computers and put a free version of Ubuntu 16.04 on it.  OXCE+ (and OXC) work great on Linux, and Ubuntu should perform fairly well on older systems and installs pretty easily.   The compile instructions work pretty well other than having to install a speciific version of yaml-cpp library that is is broken in 16.04.  If you're interested, you can message me more about getting it compiled on Linux with the yaml-cpp fix.

Offline Callahan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2018, 07:28:53 pm »
I would need an OXCE that runs on my windows computer. As far as I understand ubuntu, it is not possible to compile executables for windows 32bit with it. If that would be possible it could be a solution.
Especially if ubunto works on a virtual machine.

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2018, 07:36:16 pm »
I would need an OXCE that runs on my windows computer. As far as I understand ubuntu, it is not possible to compile executables for windows 32bit with it. If that would be possible it could be a solution.

Yes, ubuntu runs on a VM :)  You can compile for windows 32bit using mingw32 as a "cross-compiler" on Linux, but it would be more work than building native Linux.  If you want to go that route, you can use a shared folder between the VM and your host system to build the code and share it to the host.  You can also use mingw32 on windows to build Windows programs as well (also more work than using Visual Studio) but might help you past some Visual Studio issues you're fighting.  I guess my original suggestion was actually compiling it and running it on Linux :)

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2018, 07:37:00 pm »
I think the MXE build chain in Ubuntu allows you to make 32-bit windows executables, I've been using that when I need to make a windows build for testing.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2018, 07:39:36 pm »
Use MinGW that crease small compatible layer that allow running GCC and other Linux tools.
Overall my tool for work is GCC under windows and do not need VS for compiling and running OXC on windows.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2018, 07:52:56 pm »

It is possible.
I am actually also compiling Windows release versions on an Ubuntu 16.04 VM with MXE... based on steps Yankes published somewhere.

I use VS2017 for coding and debugging... but build a final release under Linux.

PS: also OpenXcom nightlies are built that way afaik