aliens

Author Topic: Need help with install of final mod pack  (Read 6980 times)

Offline Ted

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Need help with install of final mod pack
« on: January 30, 2018, 05:32:11 am »
I would really appreciate it if someone could explain to me what I am doing wrong. I've read and re-read the readme files, both in the mod and on the wiki, as well as watching youtube videos and none of them seem to help.

I'm trying to install the Final mod pack on a brand new installation of openxcom.    When openxcom was installed it created a folder called:
C:\Users\Owner\Documents\OpenXcom

I created a folder under that called mods.  I copied the final mod pack into a subfolder so now I have  this:
C:\Users\Owner\Documents\OpenXcom\mods\Final Mod Pack

I know that this is the right user folder because every time I open xcom it updates the date/time stamps on the 2 files that are there. (.log and .cfg)

But unfortunately Final Mod Pack won't show up in the list of mods in the base options menu.  I blew away openxcom and reinstalled it, and re-downloaded FMP and did everything from scratch again.  I watched the video referenced in the txt file and from what I can see my folder structure looks exactly like his.  The only thing I wasn't sure of was in the video he had a LOT more files than I do in mine.  Mine only has the 2 files listed above.  I'm hoping that it's because mine is a brand new installation and that's all that's supposed to be there.  Openxcom itself appears to run just fine though.

I don't have any other mods installed, so it's not a conflict with some other mod.

I even tried to set the user location in the command line, and that didn't do anything either.

See the attached screenshot for more info.  I'm completely clueless as to what I'm doing wrong with this.

Any help would be VERY much appreciated.
Thanks.
Ted

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with install of final mod pack
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 05:41:00 am »
There should a folder called "user" inside the Documents\OpenXcom directory, in which you should find a "mods" folder - place FMP inside that mods folder.  You can see where the game is looking for mods by opening up Documents\OpenXcom\user\openxcom.log in a text editor.

Offline Ted

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 06:42:47 am »
Thanks for the reply, and the info about the log file.

There wasn't a user folder under the openxcom folder.  There was just the log file and the .cfg file. 

I created a user folder, then created a mods folder under that, and then extracted the FMP file into it.  Now I have:
C:\Users\Owner\Documents\OpenXcom\user\mods\Final Mod Pack

Unfortunately that doesn't work either.

I looked in the log file for where it was looking for user and this is what I found:
[29-01-2018 22:34:51]   [INFO]   User folder is: C:\Users\Owner\Documents\OpenXcom\

So does that mean it wants the mods folder directly under that?  Or should the user folder be under openxcom?  (I've tried both ways)

Thanks for the help. 

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 10:36:44 am »
There should a folder called "user" inside the Documents\OpenXcom directory, in which you should find a "mods" folder - place FMP inside that mods folder.  You can see where the game is looking for mods by opening up Documents\OpenXcom\user\openxcom.log in a text editor.

By default there is no "user" folder and it is also not needed.

Mods folder is enough. Everything looks fine from screenshots, dont know why it's not working :(

Offline R1dO

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 11:14:34 am »
Out of curiosity: are you trying to run the 1.0 version instead of a nightly?

Offline Ted

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 02:23:49 pm »
Yeah, it says openxcom 1.0.

Ted

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 03:31:50 pm »
Make sure you download the nightly from here: https://openxcom.org/git-builds/

Your splash screen would then say

OpenXcom
1.0 git 2018-01-17 14:48

The "git" and date string show you that you are running a nightly.

If your splash screen doesn't say this, you are using the "Milestone build which is almost 4 years old.  Uninstall it before you run your Nightly setup executable.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 03:34:57 pm by ivandogovich »

Offline Ted

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 06:19:41 pm »
YAY  We have progress! 

The mod now shows up and I can select it, but the problem now is when it restarts openxcom I get the following error:
Error: Failed to load Final Mod Pack.  Mod disabled for next startup
Weapon String Str_Elerium_Mace has a clip size of -1.  Please use clip size -1 for unlimited ammo.

Is this something I can just go in and correct myself in some config file?  If so can anyone tell me which one?

Thanks again for all of your help.

Ted

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2018, 06:26:44 pm »
Which version of FMP do you have? This should be fixed already in the latest version, 1.9.8.  Although the message you're getting is a bit nonsensical - clipSize for STR_ELERIUM_MACE is -1, please use -1...

Offline Ted

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2018, 07:01:23 pm »
Thanks again for all of your help.  I had ver 1.9.7 installed.  What's funny was that I had read something that the mods page was down, and to use the forums, so I searched on it and found this link:
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,5459.msg82851.html#msg82851

On it there was a link that said "get t he newest release" so I clicked on it and downloaded it.  It didn't occur to me that that post might not be accurate.

THanks again for your help with this.  I LOVED the original xcom, and I'm seriously looking forward to playing it again with these mods.

Ted

P.S. Thanks also to everyone who helped create openxcom, as well as everyone who creates any mod.  I couldn't program my way out of a paper bag, so I appreciate anyone who's willing to do stuff like this as a volunteer.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 12:45:45 am »
The first post very clearly says: version 1.9.8...

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2018, 04:12:31 am »
YAY  We have progress! 

What was the overall breakthrough, Ted?

Offline Ted

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2018, 07:22:03 am »
I was using the 1.0 build.  Once I downloaded the nightly build instead the Mod showed up right away.

I assumed that the 1.0 would be the stable build that people should use by default.  Oh well.

Ted

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2018, 03:49:36 pm »
Don't worry Ted, you weren't the only one.

stares pointedly at SupSuper :P