aliens

Author Topic: Transifex: Piratez translations  (Read 89587 times)

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Transifex: Piratez translations
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2018, 09:59:17 pm »
I don't translate, but I respect those who do take it upon themselves to do so.
I am German though, and there is nothing offensive in Schwarzmark.

Offline Ashert

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2018, 05:17:01 am »
I don't translate, but I respect those who do take it upon themselves to do so.
I am German though, and there is nothing offensive in Schwarzmark.

Even if we take 'Schwarzmark'. Don't forget, this is the 'Humanist Leader' in that: his Soldier: and his STROMTROOPER: Don't forget also the UFO in swastika shape, or was that another mod? I've seen it somewhere.
These are not aristocrats, in a MARK without KINGDOM around! (Ouch, my history teacher has beaten me again)

So I thought about, what associate right-wing movement is that? And the solution is, it's the 'Freiwirte' of the 'Silvo Gesell' movement, in short 'Gesell'sche Alternative'. The echo of an early misjudged alternative anti-globalization movement .

(Small history lesson: At that time, the concept meant the 'Freigeld' = currency with negative interest rate, Freiland = 'land mostly in state hands', and Fest currency = 'dissolution of gold reserves'. Even a welfare state about mothers' pensions.
However, it was banned by the Austrian National Bank (the counterfeit currency in Wörgl) and later also not recognised by the Nazi greats.)

I played X-Piratez completely, I think it fits perfectly, especially with the matriachat content.
So I believed, all problems solved, I have not changed any core content. Glory to the Freiwirte.

It is also no problem if it is in a white circle on red flag, these are good contrast colors.

That was my intention, not some form of censorship. It is only historically more plausible how and from what former germany could have developed, 600 years in the future. It was a grassroots democratic movement, which has also assimilated the neighboring countries, in the new Europe!

Let's wait a few more days to see if Peteruta delivers anything, otherwise I'll continue with the intro to translate it. Every additional translator welcome:
https://www.transifex.com/openxcom/openxcom-mods/language/de/
Transifex also offer a mailbox for communication with the translators and allows border notes. A brilliant invention and intuitive. easy to use tool
Currently we clarified other question are Auxilary = Auxilary or 'Hilfstruppen', but Auxilary is Latin, more of a proper name, so we better not translate that!

Current status: 10% complete.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 06:41:03 am by Ashert »

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2018, 06:00:07 am »
well at least in the case of the humanists faction the offensive comparison is intentional and should therefore remain.

The use of sprites inspired by early Wolfenstien titles and KKK garb to clothe a worldwide supremacist group in an "evil" manner is purposeful.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2018, 06:42:15 am »
That was my intention, not some form of censorship. It is only historically more plausible how and from what former germany could have developed, 600 years in the future. It was a grassroots democratic movement, which has also assimilated the neighboring countries, in the new Europe!

If you think you're a better writer than me, you're welcome to write a book with your ideas. For now, get your thieving palms off my work. There is an article in the game that explains what Blackmarch is. Nowhere does it even say it's not monarchy (or other form of aristocracy); nor does it say that it is Germany which was the root of it. It could easily be the another way around - Germany got assimilated by Poland. Neither it is said that humanists are in any way associated with Blackmarch - they're from all countries. You're overinterpreting.

I don't want you to translate my work anymore; I cannot (or wouldn't want to) enforce this in any way, I'm just asking you like a civilized man. You're not acting fair towards me, so I don't want to associate with you. Not only you're disrespectful, but also you seem to haven't played X-Piratez much, if you're saying "maybe it was from another mod" about the iconic sfastika-shaped vessels.

Oh also one more thing. X-Piratez does not condone matriarchy nor patriarchy nor any sort of war of the sexes. The only real matriarchy in the game is Academy, the evil guys.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 06:46:28 am by Dioxine »

Offline Ashert

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2018, 06:58:52 am »
If you think you're a better writer than me, you're welcome to write a book with your ideas. For now, get your thieving palms off my work. There is an article in the game that explains what Blackmarch is. Nowhere does it even say it's not monarchy (or other form of aristocracy); nor does it say that it is Germany which was the root of it. It could easily be the another way around - Germany got assimilated by Poland. Neither it is said that humanists are in any way associated with Blackmarch - they're from all countries. You're overinterpreting.

I don't want you to translate my work anymore; I cannot (or wouldn't want to) enforce this in any way, I'm just asking you like a civilized man. You're not acting fair towards me, so I don't want to associate with you. Not only you're disrespectful, but also you seem to haven't played X-Piratez much, if you're saying "maybe it was from another mod" about the iconic sfastika-shaped vessels.

Oh also one more thing. X-Piratez does not condone matriarchy nor patriarchy nor any sort of war of the sexes. The only real matriarchy in the game is Academy, the evil guys.

I'm really writing a book with similar content, but it's not set on earth, and Dr.X is not evil, just the last eugenicist of his kind...

In the game i later made a little cheat for infinite Chinese Dragon Rockets, so I blew up the UFOs before I completely uncovered them on the map. A long time ago. I did not notice the shapes.

Update: I found it, this Ship called in the game 'Hanabu' and really had the shape of a swastika.
Ok the original is called 'Haunebu' not 'Hanabu', and swastika only printed, but even that is part of the Nazi Ufo stories:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi_UFOs

Therefore, the association is logical that the Nazi humanists in the game also come from a Typ of the SS 'Black March' in Germany, the Fourth Reich, not from global or some form of 'Schwarzmark' of a margrave (anyway illogically outside a kingdom).

I withdraw with my 2 other translators, I do not want to do any further damage to your artwork, or risk that you future translations not compiled into the game. But probably the game will not be translated anymore. :(
Maybe a fork is possible. Thanks for your rights release. We are just pirates, nothing is sacred to us. ::)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 10:20:25 am by Ashert »

Offline Peteruta

• Sergeant
  • Riesige gepanzerte Raumschiffe
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2018, 01:29:28 pm »
I send you an message on discord dioxine

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2018, 02:44:06 pm »
Ashert:
I really don't get why you seem to think the Humanists are directly descendent from Nazi Germany. To me it seems more like a global thing. Much like the Humanis Policlub in Shadowrun. That means there would be no connection between Black March and the Humanists, other than that there are probably Humanists in Black March, just like they are in Eurosyndicate and Central Province.
The Humanists just saw the Nazis as an inspiration.

So the way I understand the lore Black March has nothing to do with the Hanabu ships (which would be illegal in a game in RL Germany, but probably not in a mod, not sure though).
But at least if you thought that Black March = Humanists your arguments make a little sense, unlike before, though saying that you basically change nothing when you change something completly is still a lie.

Offline Ashert

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2018, 08:15:06 pm »
It's easier to steal and revise the 10 Commandments. In many places 'The Black March' is equated with the Nazis, not only with the book of the same name by Peter Neumann. Here another example:

From a total of 257,000 western Allied prisoners of war held in German military prison camps, over 80,000 POWs were forced to march westward across Poland, Czechoslovakia, and Germany in extreme winter conditions, over about four months between January and April 1945. This series of events has been called various names: "The Great March West", "The Long March", "The Long Walk", "The Long Trek", "The Black March"...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_March_(1945)

However, The Black March stands here again for the control of masses by the SS black uniformed marching men.

In the game Black March is only a country name. But definitely anyone who knows a little about 20th century history will associate the Nazis in Germany. No matter where the game places the humanists.

This is not illegal or any subject for censors. This is just normal New Wolfenstein content.

My only intention was to take Germany a little bit further away from the Nazis, in the game these Humanist faction. Because it's not clear, and an undefined 'Schwarzmark', a noble puppet theater with new margraves, only makes other problems. In any case Germany is the darkest, or most primitive future culture in the World of X-Piratez.

Update:
Here a simple compromise, we exchange the IRON TRIBE in England with the Black March in Germany! Because England really has a more monarchical and less Nazi culture! An isolated 'Schwarzmark' from any possible count, with a real royal queen in the backyard, would be much smaller and more logical here.

The chief pirate must decide.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 09:31:18 pm by Ashert »

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2018, 08:58:25 pm »
Apart from its capital Fuso seems to be a lot more primitive. Black March is growing, btw, so they can't be that primitive.

And look at the geoscape, Black March is a lot bigger than Germany. It goes from the Baltic to the Black Sea. Nothing in its description says it descends directly from Germany. My headcanon: I always assumed most nation states broke apart as a consequence of the war and especially what followed: the death of billions. That tends to destroy public order. Then, once the population was more or less stable again the suvivors got organized into bigger communities. Some looking at the past for guidance, some at the distant past, but not all.
It didn't occur to me even once to relate the Humanists to Black March, you seem to be very Germany-centric in your views. Again, headcanon: The Humanists are just the backlash to the emergence of mutants, some of whom are better in every way that the "purebloods". So they cling to their purity because they are weak and they need something bigger than themselves, something that tells them that it is not their fault that their life sucks and that it would get better the moment the mutants stop existing. They use symbology from others that thought in similar ways, the KKK (not a very German thing btw) and the nazis. (Probably also because it is convenient from a design perspective. No need to make up anything new, and the player knows what is up right away as well.)

Black Marsh is also a region close to Baltimore. Maybe someone just had a travel guide, the pictures looked a bit like central european swamps and not knowing the context (or much of anything, because Old Earth Books are forbidden) and thought that it was the ancestral name of his place, and somehow it stuck. :D

Offline Ashert

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2018, 09:44:20 pm »
I know the story, I've completely done the game. I haven't changed a word in the humanist description.

All my changes were aimed at defusing false associations with germany. Black March was no help for that, so I removed it (the name of the city, not the humanists)

The resistance here results from the fact, that some Gesell'sche Alternative in Germany, makes humanists virtually homeless. Now they may come from Jerusalem, Africa or the USA. The cube, with really all possibilities, is not welcome.

And look at the geoscape, Black March is a lot bigger than Germany. It goes from the Baltic to the Black Sea.

Not really, that could also be the historic Germany 1942 or 1943 with allies. The borders in the game are very similar!

second picture from the dissident translation, without Black March (also the BER Raumhafen, is an Inside Joke, more plausible for German players from the region there)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 11:11:07 pm by Ashert »

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2018, 12:22:09 am »
What you were doing is not a translation anymore. And I think you are the only one who associated the Humanists with Black March.
The resistance here comes from you changing so much. The Humanists, like the other factions, have always been a global player. Just like the Raiders. A minor faction that is active globally. As I mentioned before, their symbology isn't even exclusivly nazi, they use the famous KKK fashion as well. The world is their home, and has been so before you came along.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2018, 01:49:19 am »
Ashert, you're a fucking lunatic. Stop this farce and go to see a medic. You're fucking with my work under some weird claims I give no 2 shits about.

I am the creator of Piratez, you know. Anything I say about the canon, is truth by definition, since I have created the whole fucking thing.

Btw. your claims about knowing the game are an obvious lie, too, since you refer to Dr. X as "him".
I won't even go into discussing your claims with you, since you're not listening.

magus1

« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2018, 03:14:41 am »
Dioxine creates something utterly brilliant, inspired and full of fun references to sci-fi and other games (I would be here a while listing the cute references to popular culture/history).

Chainsaw - groovie :D

Everytime I see another Easter Egg I laugh so much. I even laugh at lobstermen - until I abort the mission.

Why is someone with poor ideas, odd English phraseology and an obsession with a certain period in history trying to jump on the bandwagon?

Rock Paper Scissors review about Piratez is spot on - best mod ever.

Best Reg-arrrrghds! :D

Magus1

Offline Ashert

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2018, 08:43:10 am »
I know many strategy players who do not touch X-Piratez. They say this is just another evil Germany - Nazi Fourth Reich game from thousand others, Pure inflation and inclusive ideology of the purebred.

I told them there is no direct relation to Germany, but the evidence is everywhere. Even the humanist description adorns itself with Zeppelins in the background, an invention from Germany. Add to that the Black March and the original Wolfenstein 3D Sprites Nazis in the game.

Yes, you can hide statements artistically. But not in front of people with a spark of historical awareness!

Nobody dared to do a German translation before me, German players translate and play the Final Mod and others, but not X-Piratez. My commitment here is unfortunately completely misunderstood.

My speed run through the game didn't let me see everything. I cheated a little. But I can now also say that the game is 100% politically correct, the Nazis are not really multinational. German players have to live with it.

I will consider developing a fork: 'True Piratez', with new name for the poison-spitting demon and without all the allusions crap. The Black March means everywhere in the literature, the march into the Nazi SS or the March as a prisoner with it! This is never random in the game. Here a another Example:

« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 09:57:35 am by Ashert »

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
  • Pet Lokk'Nar 9,99 $/hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2018, 01:36:37 pm »
As a german myself I stick to the english version because it's the more 'precise' discription of things.
German language is a very picky thing for itself and most english words have more than 3 different interpretations causing more confusion rather than building atmosphere.

Yes the game has the 3D nazis and stuff but the term 'humanist' is simply different in this game. I know about my ancestors faults and the world keeps blaming us for the shit we've done 70+ years ago everytime we say something bad about non-german citizens. I played this mod alot in it's different variations and I simply take the humanists as a 'minor' faction I can milk for slaves and goodies in the mid game.

I don't feel bad about Nazis in this game, it's a historical fact that those have existed and I can imagine that dominating nazis will return in the future (far earlier than 2601).