aliens

Author Topic: [SOLVED] Missing cities and borders  (Read 3453 times)

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
[SOLVED] Missing cities and borders
« on: October 05, 2017, 11:24:40 am »
After several upgrades, downgrades and reinstallations the names of cities and countries and their locations do not appear on the map.

I am using 64-bit Gentoo Linux.
I have vanilla 1.0.0-r1 installed from Gentoo ebuild, for which I copied UFO: Enemy Unknown files to
/usr/share/openxcom/data/
(Earlier I installed a git version, but after a system update it stopped working and refused to compile. Reverting to 1.0.0-r1 deleted UFO and TFTD files, which I copied to /usr/share/ earlier.)
I also compiled OXCE+, in
~/x-com_files/OXCE+/OpenXcom/
For it I put the data next to the binary, to
~/x-com_files/OXCE+/OpenXcom/bin/UFO/ and ~/x-com_files/OXCE+/OpenXcom/bin/TFTD/

Now in Geoscape mode the cities, country borders and their names are not displayed at any resolution. The missions to cities work, although locations of the cities may be a bit off. (I noticed the problem when Ekaterinburg mission was close to the Arctic ocean :) ) How to fix this?

Correction: there also were data files in
~/.local/share/openxcom/UFO/ and ~/.local/share/openxcom/TFTD/
I deleted everything, leaving only the ones in ~/.local/share/openxcom/ It did not help.

INCORRECT ANSWER: Renaming ~/.config/openxcom/ helped.

UPDATE: Unpressing "Geoscape -> Globe Details -> Countries" button in the game options has this effect. I don't remember ever unpressing it, but somehow it ended up unpressed again today. Either the game somehow changes this option when I remove/install mods, or I mistakenly unpress this button without noticing.

CORRECT ANSWER: Pressing TAB key switches this option on and off.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 06:22:48 pm by tkzv »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Missing cities and borders
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 12:01:10 pm »
So, which version are you using?
1.0, nightly or OXCE+ ?
It's absolutely not clear from the description...

If you're using OXCE+... you DON'T need anything else from 1.0 or nightly... OXCE+ is self-contained: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,5258.0.html

Also, there should be no ../bin/.. directory anywhere.
You need only:
- executable
- "common" and "standard" directories with data files (from OXCE+ download package)
- "UFO" and/or "TFTD" directories

My recommendation: nuke EVERYTHING from orbit and install fresh and only what's necessary (don't mix 1.0, nightly and OXCE+)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 12:11:15 pm by Meridian »

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 12:16:35 pm »
Most of the time I use OXCE+ and only use vanilla to re-check bugs. I noticed the problem after reverting vanilla nightly to 1.0.0 (to answer your question in another thread, BTW :) ).

If I erase everything, what do I need to erase?
  • The place where the executable is.
  • /usr/share/openxcom/
  • ~/.local/share/openxcom/
Is that all?

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 12:37:17 pm »
If you have installed 1.0 too, there will be a ../openxcom/data/.. folder somewhere too... make sure to delete that as well.

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 01:17:06 pm »
If you have installed 1.0 too, there will be a ../openxcom/data/.. folder somewhere too... make sure to delete that as well.
It did not help. After I removed every data folder and created them anew, the problem persisted.

But per your suggestion I tried to find and delete every "openxcom" folder. After I renamed ~/.config/openxcom/ the names appeared.