Author Topic: Really Open-Xcom  (Read 3632 times)

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Really Open-Xcom
« on: August 20, 2017, 10:36:28 pm »
With all those graphics mods, sound mods, new units and new maps floating around, I believe there would not be a lot missing to make OpenXcom not rely on non-free contents. So to speak, make it really open as in open source. Maybe a user interface (especially the geoscape and the soldier inventory and such things)) would need a free reimplementation. But I think it'd be doable. I remember the achievement of UFO2000 creators, to have at least a basic version of the game playable, that doesn't require any non free graphics or other resources. Just install it, and you are good to go. So the game was really free. And if you like, you could also copy the original contents to the designated folders, and you had even more maps and units at your disposal. I am wondering: Would it be possible, with not to much effort, to create a really open Xcom version? Or did someone already give it a shot?

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
Re: Really Open-Xcom
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 12:02:19 am »
But I think it'd be doable. I remember the achievement of UFO2000 creators, to have at least a basic version of the game playable, that doesn't require any non free graphics or other resources

This was required since no one knew if the owners of the XCOM franchise, before it was acquired by 2K/Firaxis, would be cool with UFO2000's existence. In case they decided to send a 'cease and desist' letter, UFO2000 could simply continue its business and say that we didn't use any of the original's game content, even to run UFO2000

With OpenXCom the situation has completely changed since SupSuper was well received by Firaxis when he visited them.

Offline SteamXCOM

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 02:22:43 am »
I am wondering: Would it be possible, with not to much effort, to create a really open Xcom version?

It is a lot of work from scratch, though some of the total conversion mods together with OpenXcomE and E+ seem to be heading in that direction, replacing/ enhancing  much of the original stuff you pointed out.

The original game content requirement seems not that ornerious, it is very low megabyte; the game is 5 or 6$ on GOG or STEAM and a properly installed original copy can be easily accessed for that content if the several successful nightly installs I have done thus far is any indication.  I even venture to say that because of OpenXcom this may have increased the sales of the original game just to get the assets to play OpenXCom.

The allure of OpenXcom, in my view, at least it makes the game accessible on newer systems plus quality of life with interface improvements and ability to add our own art and modify game settings.  A large part of that is the quaint, retro comic book style graphics from the original game.

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 10:53:43 am »
the game is 5 or 6$ on GOG or STEAM and a properly installed original copy can be easily accessed for that content if the several successful nightly installs I have done thus far is any indication.  I even venture to say that because of OpenXcom this may have increased the sales of the original game just to get the assets to play OpenXCom.
That's probably the reason, why they haven't kicked your butts, yet and even find it a nice idea. =) If there's one reason to buy the original game, it's OpenXcom.

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 11:11:47 pm »
I think the majority of new units and items is still either based on graphics from UFO, TFTD or Apocalypse or taken from other games, like Fallout. The majority of UFOpaedia pictures for new items are also copyrighted.

Redoing the interface icons is the easy part — it can be done in hours. But if you want truly free game, you need to replace every sprite and most of existing mods are no help here.