Author Topic: [TFTD] [Expansion] TWoTS+ Release (v.2.61)  (Read 676751 times)

Offline Dantalion

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: [TFTD] [Expansion] TWoTS+ Release (v.2.15)
« Reply #390 on: July 22, 2018, 05:39:03 pm »
Hello.
Could someone tell me how to get rid of Sonar Buoy?
I cannot sack it. I occupies subpen space.
Thank you.
Or you could park your Buoy at a nearest alien colony and their "towing" service will be there asap to happily help you dispose if it  ;D

Anyway, as promised - some feedback/suggestions/impressions for this mod (mainly intended for Nord, but if you don't care for spoilers, can check it out too)
Wall of text below.
Spoiler:
Overall, this mod did it's job lore-wise quite well. Establishing early tech and having some unneeded, but lore-related research was nice. The only thing I could expand is T'Leth lore and maybe post-game screen (if it's possible) to bridge the events to Xcom Apocalypse (If I remember, it was canon that T'Leth destruction polluted whole atmoshpere of Earth). Also some more research on "ultimate alien" and "who are the Freaks" lore.

Early game:
The start felt really nice, you're not forced to even fight with aliens first month or so. Felt refreshing kicking some cultist ass (who are weak but you're also weak on that stage, since you can't bring heavy armor to surface missions). Mutant missions are interesting as well, but they get old after a while. Hallucinoids underwater monsters mission was the toughest for me, since they "eat" AP ammunition for breakfast. Was solved via heavy spam of Magna-pack explosives.
Polyphs are bull***, no comments there. I feel the guy who told in this topic about his spawnpoint being surrounded by those. I suggest nerfing their reactions/blast radius/time units, something.

As soon as you get gauss, things start to heat up. I also disagree with the magnetic navigation requirement for ONE pistol/rifle/heavy/auto etc. For ships it makes sense indeed.
It just forces you to grind more weaker USO's for these, since not all USO's even have them on board.
Gauss autogun is a great idea, that was my weapon of choice until I got sonics, even then it was still useful. Cannot say same for Gauss sniper. Low ammo, not so high damage, high TU cost.

Mid game:
I guess the mid game is when you start using PWT / alien sonics. Also when aliens are really starting to spam bases where they can (perhaps this will be changed in 2.15, I had my mid-game in earlier versions).
The idea of being unable to recreate any sonic weaponry is neat, but at the same time, playing well will net you a ton of their equipment anyway. That was when I suggested disassembly of sonic ammo (glad you added this as well). PWT and melee from vanilla were not changed. I'm not sure if it's for better or worse.
For PWT it's incredibly strong on non-lobsterman levels (those bastards can eat up to 3 blasts and still survive) enabling you to clear for example whole first colony middle-part. Making everyone else on the level panic ;D
Perhaps, I should have enabled the "aliens pickup weapons" option, since I had easy time once I force level-wide panic.
Drills (vanilla melee) are still hilariously overpowered. Even more with the "alternate moving methods" option enabled. This made clearing even lobstermen colonies easy because you can just sprint to one when detected, couple hits and done.
I still found the chainsword quite useful however. While it's very uneffective TU-cost wise (you can do up to 10x more damage in same TU amount with drills), it's still invaluably useful because of wall-breaching capability. I believe there was a similar item in Openxcom mod "Fusion torch" which I also used all the time to breach UFO's.

Mid-late game:
For me the Sonic manufacture research came way later because I had no MC and couldn't capture a biodrone. So it changed when Freaks arrived with their crabs (which starts from when you research the clone Chamber I believe). Freaks remind me of starspawn from Cthulhu mythos (perhaps that was the intention) but they aren't that intimidating still. Only the shielded ones can pose a real threat, while the other ones can die even from gauss easily. Hellcrabs can be stunned in 2 hits if lucky, but they have impressive hp/armor, so generally a fair unit.

Sonic auto and sniper were somewhat a disappoinment for me until I edited them a bit. Auto variant really needs a snapshot and a damage (or armor penetration) adjust. It's still possible that a lobsterman survives a 4-shot volley, which takes 50% of your TU anyway. Sniper variant is good due to armor-penetration, but still isn't always reliable.
Ammo count was really low, I found myself comfortable with 20 on Auto and 10 on sniper. You can just raise zrbite requirement together with ammo count for balancing.

Liked the upgraded aquatoids/gillmen as well, but for me they appeared more rarely than normal variants even in later stages. Jellymen are a quite nice addition as well.
Oh, and there wasn't a clear hint for Armored Gillman Technician I believe, or I missed it, but it's needed for mech-suits.
Speaking of mech-suits, I wasn't really impressed. Especially when my Ogre armor guy got one-shotted through his shield with full hp with sonic cannon. Their grenade launcher is great indeed, but the sonic ram has really short range. Coupled with heavily reduced TU on soldiers in such armor, it's becomes slow and ineffective. Haven't tested Cyclop variant though since I had the later research already done.

Question - the Ogre armor requires Triscene corpse. But it was the Cyclop variant with the "flamethrower" weapon from Triscene. Mistake or intentional?

Late game:
The true late game comes when you get MC. It directly depends on mindworm missions though.
Once you get MC armor and MC Battlearmor, 3-5 MC-gifted or just skilled MC soldiers, the game is basically over. For aliens. Since MC doesn't need line of sight, you keep your MC soldiers in spawn ready for action and storm the front with normal soldiers + MC battlearmor ones. The MC radar on the MCBA is INSANE. A lot of examples on it's usage:
Spawn on alien colony pt2 - you can instantly detect some bastards below the elevators, MC them and start bringing destruction. In fact, I had couple of bases where I destroyed the Synomium in ONE turn via alien MC chain.
Spawn on alien barge - same stuff. It's tightly packed with aliens, so on first turn you can already do major damage.
Spawn on terror / UFO mission and you can already detect someone outside the sub. Then you don't even need to risk reaction fire by just MCing the hell out of them on first turn.

I get the idea with MC nerf (limiting it to only one armor, which is weak.), but it still doesn't make it any less powerful. Without LOS requirement, you don't need to bring your MC crew to battlezone, just keeping them in the sub is enough. Even the Energy requirement is not helping, since you can "medkit" your MC soldiers with stims.

The other late-game stuff is Ion tier tech. BIG disappointment. I expected it to somewhat replace the Humanmade sonic tech, but instead it's just Ion piercer with 100% armor penetration, but ONE shot and 2-square ammo size. No displacer variant. Not usable on surface. Most weapons are alien-made. For Ion I was expecting every weapon to have some sort of armor penetration (but Tech Tree doesn't show any), but it's useless against armored foes. Armored tasoth/lobstermen take almost no damage. Only the craft Ion cannon was somewhat decent, but it's only really useful with 100% bravery pilots, since otherwise the shields are gone earlier than you can fire. With 100% bravery though, I even had my Manta with shield down a Dreadnought completely unharmed (shield was still up).
Solitone is a completely different story. Amazing bombs, Ogre grenades and solitone charges with armor penetration, but I wish for some way to replicate Solitone Bombs for launcher. I really didn't recover much of them even in 2.15. Also a solitone upgrade to PWT would really spice things up, since it generally one-shots your soldiers even with base ammo anyway. But if Lobstermen start to fear PWT it's another story.

Also, on late game I still get mutant / cult missions once in a while. The cult ones should be gone since you researched their database (and it states that Interpol is now hunting them) since they are just fodder when you have armors / sonics.

Other stuff:
Armors - I appreciated the Bionic/Hybrid/Adv. Bionic tier. Regeneration is really nice. When you don't get 1-shot. Unfortunately, most armors have this problem. Only shielded variants have some sort of insurance against that. Oh, and Bionic armored soldiers cannot be healed I believe (it says "there's nobody there). Which becomes awkward once they get stunned - you just can't use a medkit to bring them back.
Craft (and their weapons) variety - nice on early-mid game, but in the end it all comes down to Deep Angel / Manta / Leviathan. Stingray for slower Large targets in some cases. Torpedoes - I generally preferred Dolphin ones, the other seemed not so useful. Nuclear torpedo is really fun though, when it hits despite it's miserable 30% accuracy.
Suggestion is to add some Sonic/Ion variants for late game, since once you get Oscillators, you don't even really need torpedoes, if enough Zrbite is provided.
General geoscape balance - the old "gauss cannon" profit schema is gone, but you can still do less lucrative Particle sensors / Medkits. Gets you 3-5 millions per month. Having 2-3 bases with workshops can make you forget about funding and infiltrations completely. I guess you can somewhat change this balance by increasing prices / lowering profits, etc. If that's the intention anyway.

Some stuff I really loved and hoping to see in the OpenXcom UFO defense mods (they probably came from UFO to this mod anyway) is Training Pools / Adv. Medkits / Adv Flares. Naval / Transmission Nexus is really great as well. Shields are incredibly useful (especially for expensive crafts) and for soldiers it works as insurance.
Could even use advanced smokes (since I ran out of storage space on first few months and couldn't buy smokes anymore  ;D

Stuff I never got:
Flamethrower (not even sure it's possible to obtain)
Underwater Cult missions.
Oct terrorists (the first and last few of them appeared only on T'Leth pt.2)

Otherwise I ended on 94% research.
Sorry for such a long read, but I had to get it out of my head, since I don't plan to re-run TWoTS in some while. Had enough of lobstermen and 15 interceptions per day for a few months ahead ;)

« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 05:44:31 pm by Dantalion »

Offline 5taras

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: July 22, 2018, 06:57:18 pm »
Thanks. The thing I hate is that at the start of the mission the ship is placed surrounded by armed enemies. One cannot open safely the door without being shot. In underwater missions at least a drone can be shot but on land missions one have to sacrifice astronaut just to open the door of Triton.

Offline 5taras

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: July 22, 2018, 07:11:55 pm »
Also it's irritating that one cannot disarm once deployed timer bomb during mission. It can be done only at the beginning.

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: July 22, 2018, 10:52:13 pm »
Anyway, as promised - some feedback/suggestions/impressions for this mod (mainly intended for Nord, but if you don't care for spoilers, can check it out too)
Wall of text below.
Sorry for such a long read, but I had to get it out of my head, since I don't plan to re-run TWoTS in some while. Had enough of lobstermen and 15 interceptions per day for a few months ahead ;)

Thanks for detailed feedback. If you want some comments, please proceed under spoiler:
Spoiler ALERT: SPOILERS:
If I remember, it was canon that T'Leth destruction polluted whole atmoshpere of Earth
did not know about. I am poorly familiar with apocalypse lore. Need to read ufopedia now, thanks.
Polyphs are bull***, no comments there. I feel the guy who told in this topic about his spawnpoint being surrounded by those. I suggest nerfing their reactions/blast radius/time units, something.
I am forgetting about nerf them each time.  ;D Okay, i must write it in my todo list.

I also disagree with the magnetic navigation requirement for ONE pistol/rifle/heavy/auto etc. For ships it makes sense indeed.

After some time in my test play, i noticed that my storages contain more than hundred of mag.nav. and ion engines. Not saying about thousands of aquaplastic. So i decided to make some more use of this components.
Cannot say same for Gauss sniper. Low ammo, not so high damage, high TU cost.
Yes, you are right, but all things will change with new update. (i have a plan)  ;)
Also when aliens are really starting to spam bases where they can (perhaps this will be changed in 2.15, I had my mid-game in earlier versions).
I hope so.

Drills (vanilla melee) are still hilariously overpowered.
Aha, nerf the vibroblades, going to todo list.

I still found the chainsword quite useful however. While it's very uneffective TU-cost wise (you can do up to 10x more damage in same TU amount with drills), it's still invaluably useful because of wall-breaching capability. I believe there was a similar item in Openxcom mod "Fusion torch" which I also used all the time to breach UFO's.
Exactly. And i really think that in any other way chainsaw-sword is a dumb idea. (It is heresy, i know.)  8)

For me the Sonic manufacture research came way later because I had no MC and couldn't capture a biodrone.
Changed in last updates.
Only the shielded ones can pose a real threat, while the other ones can die even from gauss easily.

So it will be written... must improve freaks.
Hellcrabs can be stunned in 2 hits if lucky, but they have impressive hp/armor, so generally a fair unit.
They must not be fair, they must be horrific (like Tentaculats in early game) Need to upgrade, thanks.

Auto variant really needs a snapshot and a damage (or armor penetration) adjust.
Will think about.

Liked the upgraded aquatoids/gillmen as well, but for me they appeared more rarely than normal variants even in later stages.
Just a question of random.

Oh, and there wasn't a clear hint for Armored Gillman Technician
It is in live HeavyGillman interrogation. Maybe not clear enough...

Especially when my Ogre armor guy got one-shotted through his shield with full hp with sonic cannon.

May be another bad-luck-random... Need more research.

Question - the Ogre armor requires Triscene corpse. But it was the Cyclop variant with the "flamethrower" weapon from Triscene. Mistake or intentional?

Change of versions during your play. Now it is Cyclop, who need Triscene. I think. Or... need to check. :)

Since MC doesn't need line of sight, you keep your MC soldiers in spawn ready for action and storm the front with normal soldiers + MC battlearmor ones.
Well, i tried to soften this feeling from vanilla. Maybe not enough.
Even the Energy requirement is not helping, since you can "medkit" your MC soldiers with stims.
Maybe more nerf? I think i saw psi-accuracy reduction over distance...

The other late-game stuff is Ion tier tech. BIG disappointment ... No displacer variant.
Turtle it is.
For Ion I was expecting every weapon to have some sort of armor penetration (but Tech Tree doesn't show any), but it's useless against armored foes.
Got your point. You may be right here.

Solitone is a completely different story. Amazing bombs, Ogre grenades and solitone charges with armor penetration, but I wish for some way to replicate Solitone Bombs for launcher. I really didn't recover much of them even in 2.15.
That was the point.
Also a solitone upgrade to PWT would really spice things up, since it generally one-shots your soldiers even with base ammo anyway.

I think it is too OP.

The cult ones should be gone since you researched their database (and it states that Interpol is now hunting them) since they are just fodder when you have armors / sonics.
They just go underground. (or underwater?) Anyway, they are not danger, they are more nuisance.

Oh, and Bionic armored soldiers cannot be healed I believe (it says "there's nobody there).
That's odd. Will check, thanks.

Suggestion is to add some Sonic/Ion variants for late game, since once you get Oscillators, you don't even really need torpedoes, if enough Zrbite is provided.
Or lower Zrbite sources...  ;)

General geoscape balance - the old "gauss cannon" profit schema is gone, but you can still do less lucrative Particle sensors / Medkits.
Money balance is a hardest thing. Only long playing may reveal the effect of any changes. I'll look.

Training Pools / Adv. Medkits / Adv Flares.

it is not my invention.
Naval / Transmission Nexus
it is. Sort of.

Could even use advanced smokes

I am using smoke rarely. Will think.

Stuff I never got:
Flamethrower (not even sure it's possible to obtain)
Underwater Cult missions.
Oct terrorists (the first and last few of them appeared only on T'Leth pt.2)
- late pirates
- late small sunken UFO's
- late monsters and big carcharadon ships.

Thanks. The thing I hate is that at the start of the mission the ship is placed surrounded by armed enemies. One cannot open safely the door without being shot. In underwater missions at least a drone can be shot but on land missions one have to sacrifice astronaut just to open the door of Triton.
You can wait one turn. It is game mechanics, that in the beginning of first turn all aliens have full TU's.
Also it's irritating that one cannot disarm once deployed timer bomb during mission. It can be done only at the beginning.
What do you mean?

Offline 5taras

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: July 23, 2018, 12:00:33 am »
I mean that I cannot deactivate timer on bombs or there is a way to deactivate it during missions?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 12:06:53 am by 5taras »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: July 23, 2018, 12:12:06 am »
I mean that I cannot deactivate timer on bombs or there is a way to deactivate it during missions?

Yes, use the same procedure as you use when you unload a gun.

Offline Dantalion

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: July 23, 2018, 10:00:47 pm »
And of course I forgot to include few important notes. So, part 2 Down below:

Spoiler:

Thanks for detailed feedback.
After some time in my test play, i noticed that my storages contain more than hundred of mag.nav. and ion engines. Not saying about thousands of aquaplastic. So i decided to make some more use of this components. Yes, you are right, but all things will change with new update. (i have a plan)  ;)I hope so.
I had an idea after I thought about it a bit. Perhaps there's a way to turn Mag. Navigation into a currency. Like, disassembling one gives 5x magnetic components, or something like that. And for Soldier weapons you need 1x of those, but for Craft weapons 10x or more. Up to you.

They must not be fair, they must be horrific (like Tentaculats in early game) Need to upgrade, thanks.
Actually, maybe decreasing stun damage modifier will do. Maybe sonic too. Their health pool and armor are already huge :)

It is in live HeavyGillman interrogation. Maybe not clear enough...
Right, I completely forgot that I didn't get a live Technician from those. There is a hint in their general race ufopaedia page indeed.

Change of versions during your play. Now it is Cyclop, who need Triscene. I think. Or... need to check. :)

Code: [Select]
name: STR_WALKER2_UC
category: STR_PERSONAL_ARMOR
requiredItems:
STR_AQUA_PLASTICS: 80
STR_MOLECTRONICS: 5
STR_ZRBITE: 25
STR_ION_BEAM_ACCELERATORS: 1
STR_TRISCENE_CORPSE: 1
From v2.15 - yeah it was Ogre, cyclops just uses 1 cryogenics instead.

Well, i tried to soften this feeling from vanilla. Maybe not enough. Maybe more nerf? I think i saw psi-accuracy reduction over distance...
MC is indeed hard to balance. It's either completely overpowered, or you use "line of sights Psionics" mod and the game is easier, but then MC is not that useful for you either.
Perhaps, after all, the 2012 Xcom handled psionics correctly, by adding exact this limitation...

Turtle it is.
Yeah, I didn't bother since Displacers are way more useful, and they do already enough damage. On the other hand, if Ion HWP had armor penetration...

I think it is too OP.
Fair point, it's just how I love my late-games to be. High-tech, sometimes overpowered stuff to get some deserved revenge on aliens  8)

That's odd. Will check, thanks.
Don't remember about normal bionic armor, but advanced one had that issue for sure. Couldn't revive a guy when he took a thermal bomb to the face.

Almost forgot the mindworms island. Quite an experience. Good idea, though it's not a hard mission since you can't lose soldiers if you have at least one HWP. But it's really annoying to search for those buggers in the "trenches",
you can even fall there and get stuck completely :) So the only thing that really needs improvement there is terrain geometry, since some of those trenches cannot be seen at all except VERY specific angles.

Also, were bombers supposed to be tougher than dreadnoughts? I received so much more damage from them overall, their shield seems like 5x tougher than others.

And finally, the one thing I really wanted to have in late game. Since the later armors tend to have 1 hand occupied (or you're using melee stuff) it was logical assumption that you could develop an improved sidearm. Not the sonic pistol and not the bulky ion sidearm. Something like Sonic SMG , Solitone Sidearm, Ion smg, whatever. Final modpack for UFO has an SMG with 6x round burst. Less shots, shorter range but higher damage than sonics, maybe even slight 10-15% penetration - and it would be a great addition. While, of course, keeping the 2-handed weapons the preferred option for raw firepower. I somewhat abused high-TU high-energy soldiers with drills in mid-game until I got MC and really felt the lack of light 1-handed effective weapons.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 10:04:41 pm by Dantalion »

niculinux

« Reply #397 on: July 24, 2018, 04:08:14 pm »
Nice mod, anyone wants to have a playthrough?

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: July 24, 2018, 04:32:44 pm »
Count me in as a high explosive aquanaut.

Offline Amoebka

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: July 26, 2018, 02:53:09 pm »
According to Research.rul, Biolab needs STR_EXAMINATION_ROOM as a prerequisite. Neither Items.rul nor ExtraStrings.rul has such an entry. Does this item even exist in the game at the moment or is the entirety of late gate tech locked behind a non-existent item?  :o

Offline Varana

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: July 27, 2018, 07:21:09 am »
Amoebka: STR_EXAMINATION_ROOM is part of the vanilla game, see standard/xcom2/items.rul .

A mod is a mod, not a new game...

Offline Varana

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [TFTD] [Expansion] TWoTS+ Release (v.2.14)
« Reply #401 on: July 27, 2018, 08:18:15 am »
Please make the game harder for Meridian......but on superhuman.

Beginner should be for beginners. Diffulty should increase with every diffículty level step bei step.

This is an important point.

IMHO a main balancing problem of vanilla and most mods is, that the game is harder on beginner level than on genius level. All mod writers are experienced players and they balance only the high levels (for their own fun).

The problem is, that a beginner normally gets less enemies -> less loot, less money, less experience. So when the invasion starts and harder fights come, they can not be prepared. With this slowed start a beginner can not attack alien bases or large ships when they show up and can only sit and watch while losing countries and the game. This is frustrating, not fun.

So I made a TWoTS rul file, to help beginners with their start into the game. No help for superhumans. And more help for beginner level than for genius level. Maybe this can compensate for the missing loot.

Please try out (or read) and comment.

/edit:
Usage: Copy the file into your TWoTS mod directory to the Ruleset subdirectory, start the game(!) (this loads the mod changes) and start "new game" on low or mid level.

The file changes for non superhuman, first year:
- some extra money gift in the beginning
- some extra ressources when needed
- some not-getting-stuck-items when & if needed
It is NOT intended to be idiot proof, so if you sell the important things, they maybe do not come again. I like this file an am playing a game with it now.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 06:09:36 pm by Varana »

Offline Ethereal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: July 27, 2018, 08:59:29 am »
The problem is, that a beginner normally gets less enemies -> less loot, less money, less experience. So when the invasion starts and harder fights come, they can not be prepared. With this slowed start a beginner can not attack alien bases or large ships when they show up and can only sit and watch while losing countries and the game. This is frustrating, not fun.

Strange thought. I thought the number of enemies on missions was only regulated in "alienDeployments"
Code: [Select]
alienDeployments:
  - type: STR_MEDIUM_SCOUT
    data:
      - alienRank: 5
        lowQty: 12
        highQty: 12
        dQty: 0
Ie, if all missions set a fixed number of enemies, most of the problems in this regard, will be solved by itself. Am I wrong?

Offline Varana

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: July 27, 2018, 09:55:06 am »
You could set equal numbers in deployments. And avoid the minDifficulty flag. And turn off the hardcoded vanilla missions, giving the easy level the same loot (same weaponlevel). And so on.

You could turn off most of these game mechanics.

But in many cases lowQty is less than highQty to make the fight easier on lower level. And the minDifficulty flag is used to make hard (but valuable) missions available only for higher level. And who turns off the vanilla missions to make a fair beginner level?

In the games I played so far genius was easier than beginner.

Offline yergnoor

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: July 27, 2018, 10:09:24 am »
Strange thought. I thought the number of enemies on missions was only regulated in "alienDeployments"
Думаю, речь о том, что на низкой сложности общее число миссий ниже, чем на высокой. Это задаётся в missionScripts.rul, где для многих миссий есть параметр minDifficulty, задающий, при какой сложности эта миссия появляется. Я не уверен, как это точно работает, но на самой лёгкой сложности, вроде-бы, и правда меньше вражеских UFO. А значит, меньше вылетов, меньше боёв, меньше добычи и меньше опыта. Хотя, на самих миссиях врагов столько же.
I think the point is that at a low level of complexity, the total number of missions is lower than at a high level. This is set in missionScripts.rul, where for many missions there is a parameter called minDifficulty, which specifies the complexity of this mission. I'm not sure how this works for sure, but at its simplest complexity, sort of, and the truth is less than the enemy UFO. So, there are fewer flights, fewer fights, less booty and less experience. Although, on missions themselves enemies as much.