aliens

Author Topic: Drages Weapon Sprite Collection  (Read 37580 times)

Offline Wolfstarr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Drages Weapon Sprite Collection
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2017, 12:45:29 am »
Hi Drages,

Sorry for the delay in uploading this!

Offline Wolfstarr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2017, 02:50:43 am »
Tried creating ED-209 ... not quite the quality I wanted lol

Offline drages

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2017, 10:12:58 am »
Tried creating ED-209 ... not quite the quality I wanted lol

It's great to be honest, but a pixel artist should work on it for details.. Can't your pixel guy help which made the xenomorph drone?

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2017, 11:11:57 am »
I'm a pixel guy, I might take a shot at it at some point.

I disagree with most everything you just posted :-\ I'm reluctant to derail this thread further, so I'll just advise you to read this entire thread to see what has been proposed, tested, and abandoned (and why!).
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,896.60.html
If you test your idea and still think that you found the holy grail, please show it and we'll be very happy.

I think I misunderstood you, or perhaps I wasn't reading your post very carefully.

There simply is no way to perfectly replicate the original shading while taking non-paletted sprites into account.

This is what you meant, right?

My personal feelings on the subject are that there's nothing wrong with changing the way things get darker in the game if you're just making everything look better. People probably won't notice until they play the original and think hmm...this looks shittier than I remember. But alternatively, if someone wanted to code in something more complex, they could make 24-bit sprites darken using 24-bit darkening, and paletted sprites darken using specific palette values--or their closest 24-bit equivalent. The game would simply need to identify the palette and hold it in memory while using 24-bit graphics, dynamically confining some images to the palette and not others.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 11:29:37 am by The Reaver of Darkness »

Offline drages

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2017, 01:44:46 pm »
I'm a pixel guy, I might take a shot at it at some point.

It would be great!

I finished all sectopod variations.. probably i will make a package from them..

Side weapons:
-Laser
-Gauss
-Plasma
-Rocket Pod
-Missile+LMG (need shoulder cannons)

Shoulders:
-Cannon
-Rocket
-Gattling

They will have default and black color variations.

I will create a mod for a learning AI which uses Sectopod Chasis.. It will get experience and stats in time like soldiers. You will sacrifice your rookies to save it!

Let me introduce you S.A.R. (Study Analyze Reprogram) units...
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 02:31:15 pm by drages »

Offline Wolfstarr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2017, 02:35:25 pm »
It's great to be honest, but a pixel artist should work on it for details.. Can't your pixel guy help which made the xenomorph drone?

It is next on the list Drages, I have him working on something else at the moment :) I'm keeping quiet but I think people will like it.

Offline drages

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2017, 09:26:09 pm »
It is next on the list Drages, I have him working on something else at the moment :) I'm keeping quiet but I think people will like it.

New visuals are always welcome!

--- posts merged ---

And.. i am nearly finished the visuals of all i can do about mechanic things in the game and mods together..

As a result of todays work:

- I finished all the "tank-hovercraft" turrets.. (about 20) nearly, 1-2 left i think..
- Finished Heavy tank
- Finished Hovercraft
- Added new bigger Cyberdisk (need default color one)
- Sectopods are done with all weapons.

What is left?

-TFTD tank rework with it's turrets.. it will be first lame tank, so not much tower for it..
-Little cyberdisk versions for 1x1 tiles..
-Organizing all the combinations and makes game file for them at Falko's tool
-Coding the ultimate SAR mode!

Yep, i will be on the sea for some days.. cya later!

« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 10:56:01 pm by Solarius Scorch »

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2017, 11:53:55 pm »
I don't see anything wrong with the ED-209, but if I was going to make changes to it, I'd prefer to work with a proper sprite sheet, with all the pieces properly disassembled.

I could take out the grey specks on the blue areas.

Offline drages

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 18, 2017, 12:05:00 am »
I don't see anything wrong with the ED-209, but if I was going to make changes to it, I'd prefer to work with a proper sprite sheet, with all the pieces properly disassembled.

You can create sprites using Falco tool. This is sectopod layout. I think it could have a more proper shading to fit battles cape. I did not try it by myself.

I work on sectopods because you can attach weapons to it. I think I can't add anything to this. It's huge too. Even bigger then the triscene. I would like to have it at least sectopod size.

But having a robocop robot is always cool. I will probably find a place to use it. Maybe before sectopod as first robot for xcom research.

Offline Wolfstarr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 18, 2017, 03:11:51 am »

Thanks Reaver :)

Unfortunately the source is a voxel which I little experience with other than using the tool to extract the animations as gifs, as per earlier up the thread.

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2017, 03:39:52 am »
You can create sprites using Falco tool. This is sectopod layout. I think it could have a more proper shading to fit battles cape. I did not try it by myself.

I work on sectopods because you can attach weapons to it. I think I can't add anything to this. It's huge too. Even bigger then the triscene. I would like to have it at least sectopod size.

But having a robocop robot is always cool. I will probably find a place to use it. Maybe before sectopod as first robot for xcom research.

I have some ideas for shading it, but I might never get around to doing it. It's a lot of images to get through.

It's basically the same size as the sectopod, taller but not as wide:

It should easily fit into the 2x2 battlescape square format, though it will probably stick up above the tile block.

I did a bit of pixel work with the image, still has a ways to go but I'm beginning to see its flaws as I work on it. It could take a lot of work to really bring out its image. I'm starting to uncover what it really looks like, and at the same time there's a lot I can't make out due to the resolution.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 03:54:27 am by The Reaver of Darkness »

Offline drages

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 18, 2017, 10:17:28 am »
For a reason I don't know, the south sprite of sectopod is huge compared others.

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 18, 2017, 12:43:45 pm »
For a reason I don't know, the south sprite of sectopod is huge compared others.
Its legs are spread wide. The northwest and southeast facings look big. You should be able to have the sprite go out beyond the edges of the tile blocks, but the sectopod actually does not protrude outside of it.

Offline chaosshade

• Colonel
  • The Harpy
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 18, 2017, 06:36:31 pm »
Drages, can you make ammo sprites for this set of weapons?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #74 on: July 18, 2017, 06:40:02 pm »
Drages, can you make ammo sprites for this set of weapons?

Very nice recolours. Are they yours?