Author Topic: Globe variants  (Read 36501 times)

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
Globe variants
« on: August 08, 2012, 01:39:34 pm »
with the excellent work done by Volutar (see here, I guess it's time for a "modded earth" thread.

I'll go first with a "bugfixed" earth: This is your vanilla earth, but three errors have been fixed that were found in the abovementioned thread:

- the mis-aligned edge in France is now aligned
- the mis-aligned edge in the UK is now aligned
- the hole in Sulawesi Island has been closed (using the duplicate surface that already existed :) )

now's your turn! keep in mind, though, that as of now we can't change country borders or city locations. so I guess we have to stick to feasible stuff, which might include:
- a post-global warming "wasteland" earth, with a whole lot more "desert" and way less arable land
- an ice-age earth with lots of snow and perhaps even more arctic ice/water terrain (did I hear "Winter is coming"?)

Offline Zharik1999

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Globe variants
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 07:19:30 pm »
I may come with one suggestion, can we somehow realise the change of seasons? For example, in winter most of the locations will be covered with snow and the stuff like that. I guess we will need to recolor some sprites and do other things like that but is the main concept possible?

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 12:58:57 am »
Theoretically, it should be possible, but only with a lot of extra code. Luke83 was asking for something similar (although he was aiming for catastrophic events which change the globe landscape) - changing the globe in-game is possible, but it would mean that the current globe must also be included in the savegame.

Also, this would only make sense if somebody were to make battlescape terrains with snow-covered landscapes... if you simply change the geoscape terrain, you might end up fighting in arctic landscapes after shooting down a UFO in Kansas, which would be a little bit weird, I guess.

Offline Zharik1999

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 08:47:45 am »
So, is anybody else interested in this? About changing graphics we can try do two variations of each sprite (winter and summer) like in Warcraft 2 for example.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 09:14:20 am »
I'd say if anybody really wants to do it, by all means do it! :)

(I don't really want to, though :P there's a whole lot of sprites, and that's a whole lot of work... also, if we really do it, I'd like it to have a real impact on gameplay: fires not spreading, footprints in the snow, reptilian aliens moving slower, maybe helmeted soldiers suffering from visor fog when entering a UFO or building... :) that's even more work. I'd love to see all that, but I guess it's V1.5+)

Volutar

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 09:41:47 am »
Footprints in the snow? gosh... before trying to think of that - jsut think of footprints on a dirt!
Really it's crazy idea if we think of openxcom. Though very nice strategic idea for something bigger than xcom. Not 1.5+ - I think it's farther than 3.0 :)

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 09:28:17 pm »
Theoretically, it should be possible, but only with a lot of extra code. Luke83 was asking for something similar (although he was aiming for catastrophic events which change the globe landscape) - changing the globe in-game is possible, but it would mean that the current globe must also be included in the savegame.

Also, this would only make sense if somebody were to make battlescape terrains with snow-covered landscapes... if you simply change the geoscape terrain, you might end up fighting in arctic landscapes after shooting down a UFO in Kansas, which would be a little bit weird, I guess.
I made some test. I used code from my radar range test, I didnt change lot of code :) (even position is same as on my last radar screen shot :D)
I have only question, did it look good enough as snow?

Offline Zharik1999

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 08:56:45 am »
Really similar, Yankes. Except the last one, I think it's too much.

Volutar

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 09:11:04 am »
Hrmm... it's possible to make such "snow" areas growing from north pole and south pole in particular seasons. But it will require alternative maps and tilesets for each terrain.
Gameplay alternation I think is unnecessary, considering there are no special things for "polar" terrain..

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 10:15:47 am »
I like the concept of seasonal terrain so i hope you start working on some new maps Zharik1999 to go with any possible Mods.

Volutar

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 10:20:18 am »
luke83, not maps, mcds. Maps actually should be the same.

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 12:39:57 pm »
luke83, not maps, mcds. Maps actually should be the same.

You know i meant MCD sets ;)

Volutar

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2012, 01:12:19 pm »
I can imagine - jungle in the snow :)
BTW... Why did they chosen that northern hemisphere always have a forest maps/tilesets, and southern hemisphere - jungle?...

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2012, 02:02:33 pm »
I can imagine - jungle in the snow :)
BTW... Why did they chosen that northern hemisphere always have a forest maps/tilesets, and southern hemisphere - jungle?...

I was thinking more of Forrest in the snow and terror site in the snow , farmland in the snow ,Mountains with snow, from my understanding jungles done get much snow :o

Offline Zharik1999

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2012, 02:17:18 pm »
Sorry for lame question but what is MCD set?