aliens

Author Topic: Globe variants  (Read 37037 times)

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
Re: Globe variants
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2012, 02:22:59 pm »

Volutar

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2012, 06:37:52 pm »
832 polygons.

more detailed europe, eurasian seas/lakes, americas, oceania, japan, eurasia.

P.S. Country borders become slightly wrong :)
P.P.S. Due to wrong OROGINAL xcom Hawaii placement, and corrected HERE, trajectory data also should be corrected (In original xcom Hawaii islands are placed 5 degrees to the east from real position).
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 06:56:19 pm by Volutar »

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2012, 12:56:59 pm »
876 polys

I took Volutar's globe and added some African big lakes, changed a bit of coastline and terrain types for Africa, Greenland and Iceland.

Maybe someone wants to add some detail to Australia and NZ? :)

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2012, 01:36:57 pm »
Is there any limits in the amount of new Terrain Types that can be added into Openxcom? New map details is a great step , but is there a way to say , you are now a SWAMP area, you Geoscape graphic colour should look "browny blue" and  your battle scape Map Codes are stored under "Swamp1"

Volutar

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2012, 02:14:40 pm »
I think there's no obvious limit of terrain types. The thing is - openxcom code should handle them somehow :) If it will handle swamp area (which I find nice idea) - so there should be some "yaml" parameters, like TerrainID->TextureID + Map type. So there should be function to create specific terrain map, and map block files of course.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2012, 02:29:54 pm »
currently there's 12 terrain types, and adding new ones should be easy. of course, world.dat files with the new terrains are never backwards-compatible after that, but who cares :)

in world.dat it's simply a matter of changing a byte to another value (should be easy as soon as Volutar includes that in his editor). Then we need a new texture for the geoscape, which should be easy, too. then somebody needs to make new tilesets for that kind of terrain... :)

I'm completely in favor of doing this, which is why I started this thread some days ago. perhaps you should mention the "swamp" terrain idea there :) (actually, the easiest new terrain to make should probably be "tundra/permafrost". there's a whole lot of it in Russia as well as Canada, and I think a lot of the "mountain" tileset could be re-used - basically everything except the mountains themselves.)

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2012, 05:11:30 pm »
Isn't adding lakes a bit dangerous, because it's going to happen that you shoot down a UFO by accident above a lake and then loose the UFO...

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2012, 05:24:25 pm »
yes. it is. it means you have to take care where you shoot the UFO, just like before :P

I don't know about you, but I sometimes shoot UFOs down over the sea intentionally, because I don't want to fight yet another battlescape mission... :)

and I tried to only add lakes that are big enough to be seen on the lowest zoom level. BIG lakes. I'm not going to add puddles. :)

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2012, 05:35:07 pm »
It's maybe because the interception is not yet zooming in automatically, but while testing in openxcom it happens to me a lot.
A little switch to automatically hold fire when above water or something would help a lot in my case.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2012, 05:58:27 pm »
hmmm, interesting, perhaps even a little display in the interception screen that shows the terrain you are currently over? of course it would only really work well once we have a working "minimize"-button :)

Volutar

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2012, 07:11:07 pm »
Why dangerous? sometimes I wish to shot UFO down above water, just to avoid some side-effects on economy.

Offline MKSheppard

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2012, 04:49:28 am »
You know, you could use a custom ruleset with a custom globe to create an unique game -- imagine a world in which the aliens decide to open the Alien War I (AWI) by smacking an asteroid into earth, and the resultant super-winter from all the asteroidal dust into the air has reduced the world to either arctic or desert tiles, and world population is much much lower; with fewer countries around to fund you...

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2012, 08:22:11 am »
You know, you could use a custom ruleset with a custom globe to create an unique game -- imagine a world in which the aliens decide to open the Alien War I (AWI) by smacking an asteroid into earth, and the resultant super-winter from all the asteroidal dust into the air has reduced the world to either arctic or desert tiles, and world population is much much lower; with fewer countries around to fund you...

Absolutely :)

right now we are a bit limited by the country borders and cities, which are not part of world.dat, but I guess you could already do this if you find a suitable location for your asteroid crater :)
I keep thinking that somebody should make "winter" tilesets for the existing ones... for seasonal effects as well as "ice-age"/"nuclear winter" scenarios :)

Volutar

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2012, 08:32:22 am »
moriarty, I've looked into your globe. And this is what I've noticed:
1. Some new African Sea? (at western part).
2. Weirdly, but every lake has been shifted about 7 game units to the North. Why?

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2012, 11:01:58 am »
I should probably use a different map image  ;D the western "lake" looked like water on the image I used (I was always bad at geography, so I never noticed that there shouldn't be one), and the north shift is probably because my image isn't perfectly centered for some reason.

I used a global vegetation color-coded image, which explains the new "lake". as for the north shift, I don't know. maybe I accidentally introduced that while resizing the image? I'll look into it.