Author Topic: Codex Choice  (Read 18219 times)

Offline EricPhail

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Codex Choice
« on: April 13, 2017, 11:37:14 am »
Fairly simple question, but it does deserve a thread to itself IMO:

Which Codex (tiny Drill project) do you choose and why?

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
Re: Codex Choice
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 02:57:16 pm »
Bio suit, destructor, blood axe, and tome of lightning being some of my favorite things, red codex is an easy choice for me. Free boarding gun and chainmail plus some nice durable craft sweeten the deal for me. Second choice would be grey, since I like the concept of the Fortuna, plus it's got a nice blue paint job.

Offline Marza

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 03:10:32 pm »
Gold.

Only for fairy outfit wall hacks and officer outfit bravery stacking shenanigans.

Offline juff

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 03:36:27 pm »
So in my current campaign I've run into a really silly limitation on destruction and communion, which is that I am likely to finish the game before seeing a dark one or reticulan elder. obviously this is a corner case, but at least gray codex guarantees a liber occultis, meaning you can do illusion regardless of rng.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 04:34:31 pm »
Grey is my pick hands down. The fortuna can do every mission type in a single craft which is a huge deal in the early game. Particularly getting 13 gals in a space run allows you to brute force anything but a refueling station with just the default pod outfits. Also one of each weapon type slot helps in making the most of early craft armament scavenging.

Ghost armor is also way to tasty to pass up. Low resources investment for a nigh invulnerable scout if played correctly. And can kill almost anything you fight by itself to boot. Witch armor is also pretty nice.

Red used to be my go to but early game has gotten harder the last few patches enhancing the value of fortuna efficiency.  Syns being better then biosuits most of the time, by having better vision performance and no stat penalties, is also a factor.   

Offline EricPhail

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 04:42:08 pm »
Officer Outfit bravery shenanigans (for the flag/pipes etc. I presume), well I guess that's something to look forward to once I have someone who can actually wear the thing in that campaign

Communion does seem rather hurt by the reticulan elder thing (as my green campaign can attest, since I'll probably finish before I find one at this rate)

Just for reference I have only played 3 campaigns thus far a green mostly done, a gold moderately in and a third which I plan to go Grey on, red dex sounds like it's better for the bloodthirsty somehow (I've run something of a stun/slave favouring run thus far), I suspect fairy wall hacks may well end up as one of my favourite things.

Offline Scorrpio

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 05:44:56 pm »
In my current campaign it was a hard choice between red and gray and I took red.   Though if I could go back I would probably choose gray instead.   

Offline greattuna

• Colonel
  • No range like point blank range.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 09:37:10 pm »
I personally prefer green. Bio suits, saviours and fairies are pretty much my favorites, and I already get enough destruction with conventional weapons. As for ghost, oh well, can't have them all.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 10:27:21 pm »
Biosuits just aren't up to snuff in imo with syns available. Syns have better armor, superior resists(except vs chem and plasma and behind by only 10% on plasma), zero g capable, NV 25, not a XL target, and no -30 to offensive stats.  Biosuit is also twice the effective weight.

Biosuit only remaining advantages are the significant hp pool and less rare overall. Still expensive to the point you will never have more then a handful.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2017, 10:37:57 pm »
Why not both syns and biosuits?  They're different enough roles that I can see using them both.  Also, biosuit gals can use voodoo... Magetank anyone?

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2017, 12:04:35 am »
Eh i dont see how they are much different. Both are effective pointman/scout/close assaults due to durability. But then syn will get shot at less(better reaction), hit less(XL vs standard target), and will nullify more that it does take. The syn is more accurate in every aspect(biosuit -30 offense stats). 

Voodoo use is a point for the biosuit but it's not buffed by the outfit unlike other codex based outfits. Biosuit can spend stamina more over consecutive turns but 150 spendable stamina is more then sufficient to cover most needs, as you do have wait for the rest of the squad to catch up to a syn at full sprint, giveing time to recover.

I can only think of 3 situations where i would prefer the biosuit over the syn:
1. Tanking cyberdisk shots. syn dies when it doesn't bounce vs biosuit survives on low hp
2. Mini Nuke/blaster bomb to face. Suit might survive syn probably wont.
3. Heavy weapons user. Biosuits larger inventory is a plus for ammo capacity. But there are better outfits for that role then either of them. 

Offline Cristao

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2017, 10:29:08 am »
Did  a game where I made a mod to have all 4 codices. Grey is my favorite hands down.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2017, 10:39:32 pm »
Take into consideration that Syns being manufacturable just from general supplies is a bug :) It wasn't intended, just an error. You're supposed to only have as many as you can find (though killed ones can be rebuilt).

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2017, 11:04:54 pm »
Take into consideration that Syns being manufacturable just from general supplies is a bug :) It wasn't intended, just an error. You're supposed to only have as many as you can find (though killed ones can be rebuilt).

At least in my mind i never considered more then 4 of either outfit before the game is effectively over. Both are rare/expensive in the same general bracket of late game options. Even just 1 does the job as the scout/pointman, more just make maps go faster.

1 for 1 i strongly prefer the syn, and since the syn is general tech and not codex locked the codex picks with it are weakened by comparison.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
Codex Choice : Ufopaedia.org Page
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2017, 11:18:51 pm »
Juff put together a good page here on the Bootypedia.