Author Topic: New user - Requesting my original experience and PSX Audio  (Read 4734 times)

Offline TKBS

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
New user - Requesting my original experience and PSX Audio
« on: February 01, 2017, 09:53:06 am »
Hi everyone,
New to OpenXCOM, nice tool, good work ETC.

I am hoping i can get specific advice, achieve my goal quickly and begin an enjoyable session of XCOM enemy unknown

AIM:
1. Use my copy of UFO enemy Unknown, with OpenXCom, and PSX Audio (wav)
2. Use my copy of UFO enemy Unknown, with OpenXCom, and retain SB Effects and GRAVIS ultrasound (like i have in DosBox)

Issues:

[1] The PSX audio labelled in available mods (found online and via forums here) does not appear to be the PSX audio. Maybe it started out that way, but due to whatever processes were involved it's not that way anymore. This is a problem with people failing, or refusing, to put up CHANGELOG's, a production history or information as to "how it was done"
- i would like the original audio experience as i had it, not as someone-else thinks it should be.
I own XCOM-EU on PSX and yes i own the floppy version of UFO because i am that old so i know the sound ain't right.

-Q-. Does anyone have a small guide, or further info, on how the various PSX packs were made?

[2] I have looked around but i cannot seem to find a way to achieve my DosBox sounding UFO-EU using openXCOM.
-Q-Is there a GRAVIS patch or something i can do to get this sounding the same (or as close to) my dosbox gravis ultrasound music?
... like a way/method/tutorial to convert 1 to the other (cat to wav then rename to the structure in openxcom???)

The process i have used (as this may help users respond to the topic)

- PSX Audio is a simple drag and drop, WAV extract - full quality.
- some music is similar so i simply renamed as such

Code: [Select]
PSX ORIGINAL          PC NEW NAME
10-Track10.wav GMSTORY.wav

* changed audio to WAV inside openxcom, tested works.

* i assume this is the correct (only) process to get the audio working in openxcom and that the mods available have been made via this process, with some audio engineering, cutting and edition and maybe some cough cough -mastering

- if that is correct - please confirm :)

As for my install of ufo enemy unknown, well im sure you all know what a mission that is, v1.0-v1.2-v1.4, Hex edit the difficult bug fix, put the original death screams back and all that jazz!

End notes:
i appreciate it is common practice to tell a new user to do here, there and everywhere, read, x,y,z and do blah blah...  but having done this for 20 years with many games, im getting old and just would rather have some fun and avoid hassle trying to get it.
- i have a large history of making mods, tutorials and guides, im not being a lazy person, but time adds up and i've already wasted many hours on this when i just wanted to test openxcom and enjoy the game.
 - also i did use the search function:
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4315.msg59497.html#msg59497
https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Audio_Options_%28OpenXcom%29#Custom_Music

Many Thanks

p.s.
if interested here's a UFO aftermath mod i made a lon gtime ago, consider it currency for help wanted LOL.

https://unrealbyfusilade.wordpress.com/non-unreal-tutorials/pc-gaming/ufo-aftermath/megamod-ufo-am/
https://www.strategycore.co.uk/forums/topic/11134-megamod-kit/
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 10:15:50 am by TKBS »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: New user - Requesting my original experience and PSX Audio
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 06:18:12 pm »
While I don't know the answer to your problem, I'd like to say hello. I hope you'll get it sorted.

Also, I've never played your mod - will try it tonight! :) Looks exactly like something I wanted.

Offline TKBS

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 10:45:35 pm »
First up: Thanks for saying hi  Solarius Scorch
* I hope you enjoy the UFO AM mod, it's been out a fewyears and not sure if anyoen has even tried it- no replies anyway.
* i have alot of things (mods) like this done for many games, my dosbox collection and duke nukem collection (most comprehensive and clean installation available on the web) are especially sweet
I still cannot find any guides or a history of what people did (inadequate info). Just endless links to content, which are no good (i already posted these destinations that i visited in the first post)

It Seems openxcom works fine with ufo enemy unknown (how i have it setup in dosbox), but has some issues with applying the same methods to xcom ufo defense (with what  i assume it is gold version that was recently given away free on steam/ humble bundle)

Anyway, all that matters is the result

so...here's the result:
  • PSX music - from PSX game. - the actual audio, ".wav" not 'ogg' or' mp3'.
  • PSX sfx - from online, will use these as a kinda reference for the naming structure
  • CAT packer to manually make the PSX .CAT files for use with dosbox,
  • an example rules set so it can be applied as a mod (in openxcom), rather than a hard audio swap (which will be used for DoSbox).
[openxcom with my dosbox installation, finally got it working without the audio breaking]
[/list]

The main thing was finding the Gravis Ultrasound sf2. The differences are still pretty huge but its as close as i can get open xcom to sounding like dosbox.

Thanks for the links and replies

also if people upload the PSX audio files, they might aswel just upload a complete pack of openxcom, UFO and the audio. The rules have already been broken with the audio u/l so making mutliple people do the same process to achieve the same results is kinda redundant.. Whatever, time to enjoy XCOM PSX  with OpenXCom

### Bugs (or bad behaviour) in OpenXCom ###
- changing audio volume cancels cut scene
- some of the shaders (most of them) are pretty rubbish
- lack of compatibility with existing shaders. e.g .like dosbox
- the patch method, i think needs reworking and more consideration to people who have pre-patched there game correctly, like 10 years ago.
- lack of use of original files geoscape.exe etc [i do not like having things hidden of it weird exe's and this also makes it very confusing for a using who has hex editied there original install to fix bugs, it is unclear what happens with this- but this was the sole reason my audio broke]

- Resolution issues; i thought this was hilarious

The game runs native 320x200, 2x would be 640x400, but 640x480 appears as an option ?
- Having surpassed the aforementioned resolutions (i.e. go to 1920x1080). Scrolling back down eradicates the 640x400 option, thus you cannot choose 2xnative. LOL! - the wiki website even states the resolutions and clealry the biggest part of openxcom would start with - compatibility for larger resolutions.Come on guys... sort it out lol

Many Thanks and nice software, albeit a bit buggy.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 10:54:45 pm by TKBS »

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 12:14:12 am »
Hi.

### Bugs (or bad behaviour) in OpenXCom ###
- lack of use of original files geoscape.exe etc [i do not like having things hidden of it weird exe's and this also makes it very confusing for a using who has hex editied there original install to fix bugs, it is unclear what happens with this- but this was the sole reason my audio broke]

WTF, man?
Did you even bother reading OpenXcom About page? https://openxcom.org/about/

OpenXcom is NOT a patch for Xcom.
OpenXcom is a re-implementation of Xcom from scratch... and is 100% non-compatilble with geoscape.exe or any other original executables.

You CANNOT use any hex editing on openxcom.exe, it just makes no sense.
Instead if you want to fix or change something, you can pleasantly edit normal text files (ruleset), or if you want something completely new, you can change the publicly accessible source code and re-compile your own version.

It Seems openxcom works fine with ufo enemy unknown (how i have it setup in dosbox), but has some issues with applying the same methods to xcom ufo defense (with what  i assume it is gold version that was recently given away free on steam/ humble bundle)

UFO enemy uknown and Xcom UFO defense is one and the same... OpenXcom works flawlessly with both!

There's literally tens of thousands of people playing OpenXcom with the same Steam version as was recently given away for free (including myself) and never noticed any issues.
Not sure what you mean exactly that it's not working for you... but you're doing something wrong.

- Resolution issues;
The game runs native 320x200, 2x would be 640x400, but 640x480 appears as an option ?
- Having surpassed the aforementioned resolutions (i.e. go to 1920x1080). Scrolling back down eradicates the 640x400 option, thus you cannot choose 2xnative. LOL! - the wiki website even states the resolutions and clealry the biggest part of openxcom would start with - compatibility for larger resolutions.Come on guys... sort it out lol

The suggested resolutions come from your video card.
If you want to blame someone for missing 640x400 resolution, blame your video card, not openxcom.

Fortunately, you are not limited to these suggestions.
You can manually change the resolution to anything you want (just click and edit)... you can play with resolution 999x666 or 4000x4000 if your heart so desires.

Offline TKBS

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 05:02:44 am »
Meridian your reply sux. Here's why:

Clearly i read the page, as i have pointed out the alck of explanation towars

"what happnens for people who have already patched their game....like 10 years ago"

then you say:

^^ LOL .. noone said and i guess noone has ever tried this. I never said i tried to hex edit the game after installing openxcom. Clearly you are the one with reading problems.

and yeh HI :)

- I have a video of how clearly openxcom has issues, when compared to dosbox. Watch it if you like.

1/10,000+ Ty for the compliment, but it is no surprise for me to be using attention to detail.

I use the config file to set the resolution manually, but for users who are not as savvy as me this is a bug. The list of bugs is much much bigger than that. You sound liek a fan boy rather than someone offering help.

p.s.
this thread could have and can be locked, since i asked for specific help days ago, and solved + correctly enhanced/ modded the game before anyone replied with copy paste links from places i clearly have already been. So yeh
thanks lol

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2017, 11:35:37 am »
"what happnens for people who have already patched their game....like 10 years ago"

then you say:

^^ LOL .. noone said and i guess noone has ever tried this. I never said i tried to hex edit the game after installing openxcom. Clearly you are the one with reading problems.

I did not reply to that statement, why are you making things up?
The statement I replied to is clearly quoted before my reply.
Trouble reading?

- I have a video of how clearly openxcom has issues, when compared to dosbox. Watch it if you like.

Where can I find this video?

1/10,000+ Ty for the compliment, but it is no surprise for me to be using attention to detail.

It was not a compliment, no need to be ironic.

I use the config file to set the resolution manually, but for users who are not as savvy as me this is a bug.

As I said before, it is possible to change the resolution to anything on the GUI already, I don't see anything missing or buggy.

The list of bugs is much much bigger than that. You sound liek a fan boy rather than someone offering help.

Besides being a fan (obviously), I am also an OpenXcom developer and I am offering help... please feel free to clearly state the nature of the bugs and a way to reproduce them... if it turns out they are real bugs, I will fix them myself.