aliens

Author Topic: Piratez for Linux  (Read 4900 times)

Offline buenaventura

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Piratez for Linux
« on: January 05, 2017, 08:16:56 pm »
Hello friends,

It was a while now since I (without success) tried to get this awesome-looking mod to work on my computer running Xubuntu 16.04. I return now to ask,

1. do you think it might work better now?
2. what is the procedure to installing it on linux?

Thanks alot!

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
Re: Piratez for Linux
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 08:30:50 pm »
Might work better?  It's been working just fine on Linux for a while; it's the only way I've been playing OpenXcom and various mods.  As for getting it to work, you should just need the executable from Meridian's thread on OXCE+: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4187.0.html

Unzip the mod folder from the main Piratez post, place data from the original game in the UFO folder.
Copy executable downloaded from the link in Meridian's thread into the same place as OpenXcomEx.exe, run the executable.  You might need scroll down a ways on the https://lxnt.wtf/oxem/ page, to where the files are marked oxce3.3 instead of oxce3.5, and get the one marked xenial_x86 if you run 32-bit OS, xenial_i686 if you run 64-bit OS.

Offline Stoddard

• Colonel
  • in a fey mood
    • View Profile
    • Linux builds & stuff
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 05:46:37 am »
and get the one marked xenial_x86 if you run 32-bit OS, xenial_i686 if you run 64-bit OS.

You got it a bit backwards, it's xenial-x86_64.7z for 64-bit aaaannnd there is no build for 32-bit Xenial. Ping me if it'd needed.

Offline buenaventura

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 12:00:01 pm »
Wow, yay, it worked! I wonder what sort of problem I ran into last time, was alot of fiddling. Now it works just fine! Great! Thanks. Any tips on where to get beginners help, like a tutorial? I've never played even vanilla XCOM, and I feel a little lost.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 12:19:28 pm »
Any tips on where to get beginners help, like a tutorial? I've never played even vanilla XCOM, and I feel a little lost.

Read the Bootypedia. No, seriously - without reading it carefully, you'll have a hard time playing.

Other than that, you can of course read the forums here. For example, this thread should be informative.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 03:00:32 pm »
Not gonna lie, Piratez will be rough if you haven't gotten used to the mechanics from vanilla XCOM.  However, a good number of helpful people hang out here on the forums or on the discord channel, you can find a link to it here.

Offline Koniecny

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 09:18:17 am »
Not gonna lie, Piratez will be rough if you haven't gotten used to the mechanics from vanilla XCOM.  However, a good number of helpful people hang out here on the forums or on the discord channel, you can find a link to it here.

yeah Piratez took a lot of getting used to but it's fun when you get the hang of it.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 01:49:38 pm by Koniecny »

niculinux

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2018, 02:52:44 pm »
Hey buenaventura, have also  a look here. Currwntly ive stopped playing the game, hope it will work for you. ☺