aliens

Author Topic: Possibility of an aircraft/soldier/base renaming  (Read 8824 times)

Offline Amunak

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • My homepage (czech only)
Possibility of an aircraft/soldier/base renaming
« on: July 08, 2012, 08:38:28 pm »
This is a thing I'd really like to have - renaming of things. Mainly Only renaming of crafts because other things already can be renamed. Especially in later game, I often use various weapons on aircrafts (usually five in a base - a skyranger and four interceptors; one with plasma beams for small ufos and the other with a plasma beam and a fusion balls) and it's then important to not mix them up - renaming would be a nice solution.

Also it's nice to have a soldier named after myself, etc.

I know that all this (except naming the aircraft, which is not even in the game because it just names them by their order of purchase) is editable in the save file, but I think it shouldn't be too hard or time consuming to implement one button with a name dialog.

What is quite harder is the aircraft renaming, but I know you can do it! :)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 11:17:59 am by Amunak »

Offline hsbckb

• Colonel
  • Gill Man
    • View Profile
Re: Possibility of an aircraft/soldier/base renaming
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 02:52:03 am »
I agree with adding the renaming function especially for the base name.  You may hit the enter button accidentally and making your base name blank.  :-\

Offline Amunak

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 02:56:33 am »
I agree with adding the renaming function especially for the base name.  You may hit the enter button accidentally and making your base name blank.  :-\
That's true, I actually think that it's a bug.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 05:31:16 am »
You can already rename bases by clicking their name on the Base Info screen and rename soldiers by clicking their name in the Soldier Info screen, it's even one of the popular feature of the original, naming your soldiers after people you know to end up watching them die horribly. :) A similar function can be easily added to crafts.

It's funny how much stuff people aren't aware of, I would've expected the kind of people interested in OpenXcom to have every single detail about the original X-Com memorized and written down in triplicate :P at this rate we might need our own manual.

Offline Amunak

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 11:23:23 am »
You can already rename bases by clicking their name on the Base Info screen and rename soldiers by clicking their name in the Soldier Info screen, it's even one of the popular feature of the original, naming your soldiers after people you know to end up watching them die horribly. :) A similar function can be easily added to crafts.

It's funny how much stuff people aren't aware of, I would've expected the kind of people interested in OpenXcom to have every single detail about the original X-Com memorized and written down in triplicate :P at this rate we might need our own manual.
Oh. I tried renaming a base, but only on the base layout screen (or whatever it's called). Please don't tell me that this was possible in the original xcom game? I always used hexa editors to rename soldiers and I don't know about any other way to rename them in the old dos UFO.

But still, there's the thing about aircrafts... :)

...end up watching them die horribly. :)
By the way, on veteran difficulty, I was able to finish the game with about 4 killed man during the game and about 10 other dying on cydonia. So watching them die horribly wasn't really the issue :)

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 11:34:23 am »
Please don't tell me that this was possible in the original xcom game? I always used hexa editors to rename soldiers and I don't know about any other way to rename them in the old dos UFO.
lol. I'm afraid it was possible. Not sure with the base name, I never tried it; but solider names were allowed, and aircraft.  ;D

Offline Amunak

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 12:03:31 pm »
lol. I'm afraid it was possible. Not sure with the base name, I never tried it; but solider names were allowed, and aircraft.  ;D
I just turned on a pc where I have the old dos version. And guess what, it is not only possible to rename soldiers, but it's possible to rename bases too. And that's quite scary. I'd swear that it was never before possible. And I played it for more then ten years, hundreds of hours. At least the aircrafts can't be renamed in the original, that'd really ruin my day :D

Imagine that - I lived in the belief that it's not possible to rename anything, and I actually edited saved games to rename my soldiers!

Well there's still chance that I'm wrong and just xcomutils made it possible, but that's highly unlikely.