aliens

Author Topic: Mixed Crew  (Read 8741 times)

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
Mixed Crew
« on: July 04, 2012, 02:10:35 pm »
Couldn't see this listed anywhere else, are Mixed crews going to be available via the rule sets for UFO occupants and terror site?

Also will we be able to setup crew sets ( so if i don't want mutons mixed with hover disk ever i don't create a rule set for that).

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Mixed Crew
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 05:25:42 pm »
It should work, but I haven't tried it yet. Note that you only have 8 slots at the moment for each race, each slot corresponds to a "spawn rank" defined on each spawn point. So you can't combine every rank of every race.
You could for example add in a Sectoid medic in the Etheral crew:
  - id: STR_ETHEREAL
    members:
      - ETHEREAL_COMMANDER
      - ETHEREAL_LEADER
      - ETHEREAL_LEADER
      - SECTOID_MEDIC
      - ETHEREAL_LEADER
      - ETHEREAL_SOLDIER
      - SECTOPOD
      - SECTOPOD

But I would be confused, because each race on it's own has his set of missions in their prefered zone on the world (this is generated when you start a new game), if you are going to mix races, it doesn't fit this story anymore.
Also your hyperwave decoder still only displays 1 race.

edit: missions are set once every month, at the beginning of the game acts.dat and zonal.dat are set, which are global, not per race.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 11:38:38 pm by Daiky »

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 06:48:41 pm »
Story who needs story :)

So, later when i can add into New alien types i can mix in a few Human Slaves and TFTD troops for variety...That all i need long term :) Currently  i just want to sneak a few chrysalids into UFO for some lovely surprises .

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 11:49:49 pm »
Story who needs story :)
Heresy! Chryssalids are snakemans companions, ever since the xcom lore was written  ;D  Now I see where all these xcom mods go wrong, they just do random stuff without having a consistent story that ties it all together :P

Volutar

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 12:07:41 am »
That's the downside of making something too open and moddable - even insane ideas tend to be realized.

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 12:13:11 am »
Its to late , you already said that i could do it :P  Voltuar , your such a purist :P

So why is there 3 slots for leaders?

Does TFTD handle this the same way , they already have mixed crews and it doesn't ruin there story?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 12:33:15 am by luke83 »

Offline Amunak

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • My homepage (czech only)
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 12:54:19 am »
Does TFTD handle this the same way , they already have mixed crews and it doesn't ruin there story?
In my opinion TFTD has quite ruined story :P

BUT more chrysalids = more fun (you know, losing is fun... :) )

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 01:34:49 am »
Alien deployment in TFTD and UFO work exactly the same way, there are Soldiers, Navigators, Medics, Technicians, Squad Leaders, Commanders, and 1 or 2 types of Terrorists (hence the 8 slots) but only 1 single race on a ufo.
Ethereal's don't have medics, engineers or navigators. I'm not sure why it is filled up with leaders tho, that might be wrong.

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 01:42:30 am »
Is it /will it be possible to have multiply sets of race layouts and have it pick a set random for the start fo the mission ( same as we do for UFOs currently)?

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 02:27:05 am »
it's not possible at the moment, but it seems more logical if people want to add a new race, instead having other "sets" of the same race which are choosen at random start of mission.

One suggestion that I remember (from a few years ago already) was to have to possibility of adding the Red Mutons (remember Mr. Angry Red Suit as seen in the opening animation, but never appeared in game) as a new race. This includes red mutons you find at UFO crash and terror sites at some very late stage of the game. Then you add in a new research item "red muton autopsy" which unlocks something cool. Maybe the manufacturing of special suits "red power suits" which gives you whatever superpowers. And to finish it off, the proper ufopaedia articles are created with nice graphics and a story.
(this is the type of mod that is perfectly possible)

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 02:38:01 am »
Does anyone have a copy of the sprites for the Red Mutons , i remember seeing them once on a avatar.

personaly i like Sectoids the best so i may need to make a upgraded version of them. They will hover with the PSI power and be a full PSI unit , there attack will be a PSI-BLAST, they can be the terror units for the Red mutons and come into battle in the Pyramid UFOs.

Tell me that's INSANE
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 01:35:38 pm by luke83 »

Offline hsbckb

• Colonel
  • Gill Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2012, 09:35:34 am »

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2012, 11:39:34 am »
i couldn't see a download :-[
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 01:21:34 pm by luke83 »

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2012, 01:35:20 pm »
Sectoid PSI ARMOUR..Tell me that's INSANE

OK who HATES the concept?

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2012, 01:42:59 pm »
 ;D the first one looks like Evel Knievel to me, seriously  ;D

I'm really not so sure about the coloring. armor for higher ranking sectoids, sure, but white? that's a bit too "paladin" for my taste. they are evil creatures! they should dress in black or purple!