Author Topic: [FULL MOD] Awesome Guns (an awesome modification of the OpenXcom game)  (Read 109614 times)

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
Re: [FULL MOD] Awesome Guns
« Reply #75 on: December 11, 2016, 09:53:55 am »
Thanks for the answers. Kinda off-topic, I would like to enable statstrings, but I can't find enough info on what each abbreviation means.

I just started a fresh game after disabling the alien race mods. I am keeping Hobbes's Terrain mod, I'm going in with it. So anything new you added you want me to check for balance or something?

Offline CanadianBeaver

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • AwesomeGuns
« Reply #76 on: December 11, 2016, 07:00:18 pm »
Thanks for the answers. Kinda off-topic, I would like to enable statstrings, but I can't find enough info on what each abbreviation means.

https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Statstrings

I just started a fresh game after disabling the alien race mods. I am keeping Hobbes's Terrain mod, I'm going in with it. So anything new you added you want me to check for balance or something?

Of course, it will be great. Please, feel free to write in this topic all your ideas, feelings and proposals.

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #77 on: December 12, 2016, 06:48:45 am »
Well... don't mind if I do. I posted this idea way back. Got lots of great input. I know you'll you'll like it. I put quite a lot into this and  I allowed our forum operatives to fill in the rest of the blanks.
New Scenario: Continue fighting after the Council officially shut you down

Second idea was to make reapers go through walls like the Kool-Aid man. As soon a you're close enough to them, even hiding in a house, they'll still smell you and crash in.That makes these bulky monsters a greater threat. I have an audio clip for the realistic side of this idea. It's somewhere in the forums. Last update on this was Warboy said no, it's too difficult. Maybe he's not interested. Understandable.

Edit: here's the clip. Forums don't accept MP3, so you just change the extension back to MP3 or whatever.
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4218.msg65868.html#msg65868

Offline CanadianBeaver

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • AwesomeGuns
« Reply #78 on: December 14, 2016, 08:26:07 pm »
Well... don't mind if I do. I posted this idea way back. Got lots of great input. I know you'll you'll like it. I put quite a lot into this and  I allowed our forum operatives to fill in the rest of the blanks.
New Scenario: Continue fighting after the Council officially shut you down

Second idea was to make reapers go through walls like the Kool-Aid man. As soon a you're close enough to them, even hiding in a house, they'll still smell you and crash in.That makes these bulky monsters a greater threat. I have an audio clip for the realistic side of this idea. It's somewhere in the forums. Last update on this was Warboy said no, it's too difficult. Maybe he's not interested. Understandable.

Edit: here's the clip. Forums don't accept MP3, so you just change the extension back to MP3 or whatever.
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4218.msg65868.html#msg65868

Mr. Quiet, thank you for sharing. Your ideas are so good and I am according your point. Unfortunately, implementation of your ideas has to be introduced into the game code, because it cannot be done by YAML-modifiications. Only the game developers can do it.

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #79 on: December 15, 2016, 08:29:22 am »
I see. That's a bummer. Thanks for your response :)

I'm running Awesome Guns with the latest nightly. Is the nightly patch you uploaded to the mod portal save compatible? I'm currently knee deep and I could restart.. but I like to finish my play-through once I'm 4 or 5 months in. Also what's the bug issue? I assume it's mainly with the Geoscape. Nothing gamebreaking/ right?

Offline CanadianBeaver

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • AwesomeGuns
« Reply #80 on: December 15, 2016, 04:48:17 pm »
I see. That's a bummer. Thanks for your response :)

I'm running Awesome Guns with the latest nightly. Is the nightly patch you uploaded to the mod portal save compatible? I'm currently knee deep and I could restart.. but I like to finish my play-through once I'm 4 or 5 months in. Also what's the bug issue? I assume it's mainly with the Geoscape. Nothing gamebreaking/ right?

OpenXcom nightly has 2 observable problems:
a) cities - there is a different in the YAML definition, this is compatibility problem and can be solved by different YAML files
b) melee animation - OpenXcom 1.0 uses 10 frames, OpenXcom nightly uses just 4, this situation can not be solved

The patch solves problem a). The problem b) is not a big problem, just a poor visualization in the OpenXcom nightly. You don not need to replay the game from beginning, because the patch just add cities on the globe.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 05:28:50 pm by CanadianBeaver »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 15, 2016, 05:32:11 pm »
There's no need to be like this.
I understand and share your frustration about the lack of version 2.0 (or 1.1), which is long long overdue, but hating nightlies won't help a bit.

The 2 problems you're mentioning are not problems, they're features.

And also there are less bugs with each new nightly version, not more... please don't confuse other people.

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #82 on: December 15, 2016, 09:01:16 pm »
That's a relief. Onward to Cydonia then.

So what are your plans for the next update of Awesome Guns? Hoping for a new alien race. Maybe one that's pure melee like the religious void explorers from Starcraft. We don't have a religious race, unless the ethereal are one.

They don't need to look like the Protoss. Just gotta have that religious zealot race.

1. Zealots are really cool. Armor + kinetic shielding + high TUs makes this foe very dangerous in late-game encounters.

2. Throw in one Dark Templar as the commander. Weak armor + melee + avg TUs + cloaking ability. Instant detection at close range. 80% decloak chance from a hit. Then, you gotta make them less annoying after the first encounter. Researching a corpse unlocks a better Motion Scanner to research, one with much less TUs, detecting all life, giving you color codes for human/aliens/mechs.

3. The Stalkers can be the ranged mechanized terror unit. Good armor + kinetic shielding + low TUs with advanced movement ability to teleport short distances aka "Blink" ability.

4. A Colossus terror unit would be really amazing, but I'm sure it wouldn't be as tall as we imagine. A chibi version is good enough, but still a powerful unit. Think of having to take out 3 of them in a Terror-Site.. Impossible unless you have a strategy. Beating missions with a Colossus yield a lot of alien alloys and Elerium.

I just want to thank you for this awesome mod, CanadianBeaver. It really is a gem and hope you bring more to the X-COM community!!

Edit: I uploaded some screenshots, but I realized some folks are still on limited data plans so if you want a good visual of the aliens I'm listing: The Protoss

« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 09:06:24 pm by Mr. Quiet »

Offline CanadianBeaver

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • AwesomeGuns
« Reply #83 on: December 16, 2016, 01:43:44 am »
That's a relief. Onward to Cydonia then.

So what are your plans for the next update of Awesome Guns? Hoping for a new alien race. Maybe one that's pure melee like the religious void explorers from Starcraft. We don't have a religious race, unless the ethereal are one.

Thank you for questions and for playing the Awesome Guns modification. New release is almost done. You can see all introduced changes here: https://github.com/CanadianBeaver/AwesomeGuns/compare/1.4...master. Now, I have to test some things.

About new races. I am according your point, but the big problem is pictures. It will be great, if somebody can offer images for UFOpedia and alien moving. I am asking for a help.

I think images can be extracted from StarCraft. It will be great, if someone has this game and can print-screen different positions. Excellent, if there are extracted resource direct from StarCraft files. But this is a big copyright problem.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 09:52:32 pm by CanadianBeaver »

Offline CanadianBeaver

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • AwesomeGuns
« Reply #84 on: December 18, 2016, 10:06:10 pm »
I would like to inform, that Awesome Guns modification has been updated to the new release (1.5). This release implements increased damage of Laser and Converted weapons and the new smoke cloud's images. Also, the new release introduces the big Laser weapon and the Laser flare. Other changes:
  • Using time of the first aid kit has been decreased
  • Hand images of ELECTRO FLARE has been corrected
  • Resistance of Laser weapon has been slightly decreased
  • Damage of Laser weapon has been slightly increased
  • Damage of Converted weapon has been greatly increased
  • Cities have been added on the globe
  • Country’s regions have been corrected
  • Psionic line of fire has been implemented
  • Attraction has been increased twice
Download release 1.5

In addition, from now on the Awesome Guns modification will have nightly patch. This patch solves compatibility problem and gives possibility for comfortable playing the Awesome Guns modification on OpenXcom Nightly version.

https://www.openxcom.com/mod/awesome-guns-nightly-patch

Offline CanadianBeaver

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • AwesomeGuns
« Reply #85 on: December 18, 2016, 10:08:12 pm »
Moreover, I would like to announce that additional modification, AwesomeGuns.Laser has been updated to new 1.6 version.

https://www.openxcom.com/mod/awesome-guns-laser

Also, the additional modification AwesomeGuns.Cities has been updated to new 2.0 version.

https://www.openxcom.com/mod/awesome-guns-cities
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 02:03:20 am by CanadianBeaver »

Offline CanadianBeaver

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • AwesomeGuns
« Reply #86 on: February 13, 2017, 02:16:06 am »
I am looking for someone, who would like to improve Awesome Guns articles and check the English grammar in the UFOpedia articles.

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 13, 2017, 03:30:40 am »
I am looking for someone who would like to improve Awesome Guns articles and check the English grammar in the UFOpedia articles.
Done.

Code: [Select]
extraStrings:
  - type: en-US
    strings:
      STR_LASER_SWORD: "Laser Sword"
      STR_LASER_SWORD_UFOPEDIA: "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...{NEWLINE}{NEWLINE}The soldiers insisted we make this thing. No it doesn't hum or buzz. Due to the nature of the laser cutter, the wielder's strength is not added to the weapon, but the cutting damage is very high regardless."
      STR_LASER_PISTOL_UFOPEDIA: "Laser technology fully miniaturized. This weapon sacrifices accuracy and range over conventional pistols, but has superior power and a sleek design that is lightweight and easy to hold."
      STR_LASER_RIFLE_UFOPEDIA: "Adaptation of laser technology for use in combat. This weapon is vastly superior in power over conventional rifles, but due to the heat it generates it is not able to re-fire quickly."
      STR_HEAVY_LASER_UFOPEDIA: "This monster of a weapon is essentially a laser shotgun: it fires three laser beams at once. Unfortunately it charges and fires at a slow pace due to the extreme amount of heat it generates. Nonetheless, it has immense power and infinite ammunition."
      STR_TANK_LASER_CANNON_FROM_TANK_CANNON: "Laser Tank from Tank Cannon"
      STR_TANK_LASER_CANNON_FROM_TANK_ROCKET: "Laser Tank from Tank Rocket"
      STR_SNIPER_LASER: "Laser Sniper Rifle"
      STR_SNIPER_LASER_UFOPEDIA: "Heavy laser rifle. This laser weapon combines unbelievable power with excellent precision at mid to long ranges. In addition, it has unlimited ammo."

I did more than check your grammar: I modified the statements a bit such that it still conveys the same basic idea, but adds a bit of color and sounds like something a dramatic poet would say. That's basically how most UFOPaedia articles are written, including in Vanilla.

I didn't make any changes to the Laser Sword. It's not how I would have written it, and it's not how MicroProse would have written it, but its grammar is perfect and it is plenty colorful enough as it is.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 03:32:53 am by The Reaver of Darkness »

Offline CanadianBeaver

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • AwesomeGuns
« Reply #88 on: February 19, 2017, 05:51:37 am »
Thank you The Reaver of Darkness. I have implemented your changes.

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 20, 2017, 02:20:49 am »
I like that laser sniper rifle art! Mind if I strip off the scope and use it for my Laser Pulse Rifle art? I never liked the straight recolor as it looks too much like the original (which I'm using for my Laser Rifle).

Also could you make some plasma guns? I like your style, especially for my automatic weapons line. I'm quite happy with Shadow's alien and terran plasma guns, but I'm currently using the original arts for my automatic plasma weapons.

I don't suppose you're up for the challenge of re-designing fusion ball art for the UFOPedia? I've got two versions of the weapon but they share the same art which is boring and dumb. I also have a plasma torpedo weapon which needs its own art.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 05:08:17 am by The Reaver of Darkness »