Author Topic: Suggestion to modify grenade throwing trajectory  (Read 3588 times)

Offline The_Atomik_Punk!

• Sergeant
  • Nobody rules these streets at night but me!!!
    • View Profile
Suggestion to modify grenade throwing trajectory
« on: July 25, 2016, 12:48:45 am »

So I just had my first experience on Cydonia looking for the Mother Brain in the subterranean base, when I finally came upon the large room with the "T" shaped corridor, executing with the two grav lifts at the ends of the T leading up to the final confrontation.  Upon entering the long corridor, I immediately spotted two Ethereals with blaster launchers at the end of the long stem of the T. I had a primed alien grenade, so I figured it would be a reliable way to take them both out. Only problem was, the game wouldn't let me complete the throw. My flying suit equipped soldier couldn't have been more than 8 tiles away, yet wasn't permitted to make the throw, I assume because of the low ceiling.

This to me is completely nonsensical;  it's an illogical limitation of the game that my trooper could easily make this throw in the open, but is not allowed to "adjust his throwing arc" indoors. What would actually happen in a real-world situation like that (think S.W.AT. forces in interior structures), would be that you would roll the grenade with an underhanded motion.

What I propose is two things: firstly, that the throwing ruleset for spherical grenades permits them to be thrown for their full range despite any vertical limitation indoors (rolling), and secondly if a grenade banking mechanic could be implemented that would permit the bouncing of grenades around corners, like S.W.A.T. forces would do with a flashbang. Are either of these ideas interesting to anyone else? Are they practically achievable without much effort?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Suggestion to modify grenade throwing trajectory
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 01:35:59 am »
It would be a significant deviation from the original game, and therefore an obvious no-no.

You could try talking to Yankes or Meridian, who maintain OXCE+, but I wouldn't hold my breath either - such things seem easy to describe, but are actually extremely hard to actually do well. It's not just about physics, it's about game design as a whole.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 03:26:01 am »
It would be cool! It would be different.. It would be a lot of work....

The first says it would get interest from users.
The 2nd says it wouldn't get interest from the OXC developers since they are recreating the originals
The 3rd says it won't happen unless you find someone who can code in the OXC(E) engine, of which there are a few (Yankees, Meridian, Xtendo-com, to name a few) but generally they tweak things that they are interested in first.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 04:20:35 am »
...couldn't have been more than 8 tiles away, yet wasn't permitted to make the throw, I assume because of the low ceiling.

Actually, if you kneel you can toss about 8 tiles but no farther with a low ceiling.  The throwing distance is doubled iirc in this circumstance from the standing distance.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 12:46:13 pm »
Don't forget that this should also allow the aliens to throw grenades inside buildings...

Offline The_Atomik_Punk!

• Sergeant
  • Nobody rules these streets at night but me!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 04:47:27 pm »
Actually, if you kneel you can toss about 8 tiles but no farther with a low ceiling.  The throwing distance is doubled iirc in this circumstance from the standing distance.

Very cool, I wasn't aware of that. I must say that removes some of my gripes with the game as it currently is, as I imagine I could have made that throw if I kneeled then.

It would be a significant deviation from the original game, and therefore an obvious no-no.

What I was proposing was a mod; I agree it would irrevocably change the game mechanics (like many hosted mods do), but I was in no way implying that it should be integrated into the vanilla Openxcom experience. Did I make this proposal in the wrong forum section?

Don't forget that this should also allow the aliens to throw grenades inside buildings...

Absolutely; I think it would add greater tension to interior confrontations  8)