aliens

Author Topic: [Documentation] Multiple inventory templates  (Read 18480 times)

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple inventory templates
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2016, 02:09:02 pm »
It's finally ready.
There are some changes:

- there are 20 templates, 9 of them can be accessed directly via hotkeys, the rest via GUI only
- templates are global and saved within the save file (nodes "globalEquipmentLayout0" to "globalEquipmentLayout19")
- templates will survive also mod upgrades... if modder removes a weapon, ammo or inventory slot, the removed object in the save will be ignored (i.e. won't crash)
- direct hotkeys are fixed: ctrl+1...9 to save template 1 to 9; 1...9 to load template 1 to 9
- GUIs can be opened by configurable quick save(F5) and quick load(F9) hotkeys
- templates can have names, which can be entered via GUI only... direct hotkeys will preserve existing names
- direct hotkeys work only in base or during briefing, not during mission; same for load GUI
- save GUI works always, i.e. also during mission

See attached.
I would appreciate some help with testing.

Code: [Select]
      STR_EMPTY_SLOT_N: "Empty slot {0}"
      STR_UNNAMED_SLOT_N: "Unnamed slot {0}"
      STR_LOAD_EQUIPMENT_TEMPLATE: "LOAD EQUIPMENT TEMPLATE"
      STR_SAVE_EQUIPMENT_TEMPLATE: "SAVE EQUIPMENT TEMPLATE"
      STR_SAVE_UC: "SAVE"
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 02:12:40 pm by Meridian »

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2016, 03:12:17 pm »
I hope this will be merged into vanilla branch!

Since I wanted to have something like this since ages see here

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2016, 03:23:38 pm »
I hope this will be merged into vanilla branch!

That doesn't depend on me.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2016, 03:46:45 pm »
That doesn't depend on me.

I know would be cool thou.

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2016, 04:32:01 pm »
This might be a silly question but how do you access the screens as depicted in your 2 images, idiot proof instructions would be appreciated, currently running off your exe of 2016-08-11.

Many thanks in advance

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2016, 05:10:00 pm »
This might be a silly question but how do you access the screens as depicted in your 2 images, idiot proof instructions would be appreciated, currently running off your exe of 2016-08-11.

Many thanks in advance

F5 and F9... or whatever hotkeys you have configured for quick load and quick save in Options > Controls

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2016, 09:08:15 pm »
I did test this out a bit last night, and had no troubles with it.  My mansion crews have standard templates now. :)

Offline CanadianBeaver

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • AwesomeGuns
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2016, 12:27:42 am »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2016, 09:13:35 am »
O no... thx.
Anyway, I do not see the difference in the documentation:
https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Ruleset_Reference_(OpenXcom)#Inventory_Sections
https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Ruleset_Reference_Nightly_(OpenXcom)#Inventory_Sections

I didnt put any of my changes on the wiki as they are not part of vanilla openxcom, yet.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2016, 03:46:42 pm »
O no... thx.

I really don't get this response.  You are saying that different armors should have different layouts and Meridian responds that XPiratez has been doing that for sometime.  You respond with "no thanks."   This feels like "Something from Piratez? Forget it!"  (Edit: maybe I misunderstood it, I appologize for the semi rant that follows, if I did. Maybe you were saying, "Piratez has it?  O No! Now I have to figure out all of the arcane stuff in that mod to see how it works!" )

If you are hoping for this in vanilla, OpenXcom Extended (Yankes branch) and OpenXcom Extended Plus (Meridian's additions to Yankes' branch) have moved beyond vanilla a long time ago.  With these features Dioxine has devised a very clever system that uses Nulls to block out parts of the inventory layouts for different armors.  Some armors have the handslots blocked with built in weapons and only 4 inventory slots available in 1x1s on the legs and shoulders.  Others have 28 inventory slots available on making them awesome pack mules.  The flexibility of this system is pretty impressive.

I can give you a better breakdown on how Dioxine implements these if you like, because I have had to figure it out to update the wiki.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2016, 04:42:37 pm »
I think Beaver meant "Oh, I should have known this, thanks for informing me." But it's not like I know. :)

Offline CanadianBeaver

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • AwesomeGuns
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2016, 06:30:48 pm »
ivandogovich, I ask about openXcom, not about forks, because only OpenXcom 1.0 works on Linux without problems. I am so sorry, but I have no idea how OpenXcom nightly and forks of OpenXcom can be compiled on Linux and I do not want to waste time on it. For example, there is a repository of OpenXcom nightly for ubuntu, but it do not work on virtualized ubuntu (I think it depends on video driver) and I think it does not work on Debian.  Also, I am afraid that no one is interested in OpenXcom forks on Linux.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 06:38:29 pm by CanadianBeaver »

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2016, 06:37:12 pm »
Everything I do with OpenXcom is on Linux, there's even someone who wrote a bot that builds OXCE+ for a few different Ubuntu releases.  If you have the proper libraries (listed here on the wiki), compilation is a matter of using the provided Makefiles with something like
Code: [Select]
make -f Makefile.simple and waiting for it to finish.

There are plenty of people interested in running OpenXcom on Linux.

Offline CanadianBeaver

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • AwesomeGuns
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2016, 06:42:51 pm »
There are plenty of people interested in running OpenXcom on Linux.

OK, I made a mistake, sorry. Two and a half men are interested in this.

Can somebody confirm it:
OpenXcom 1.0 and OpenXcom nightly (without attention to forks) do not allow different layouts for different armors? - Is it true or false?

If it is false, please, give the worked example from .rul file.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 06:56:18 pm by CanadianBeaver »

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2016, 07:04:28 pm »
OK, I made a mistake, sorry. Two and a half men are interested in this.

Can somebody confirm it:
OpenXcom 1.0 and OpenXcom nightly (without attention to forks) do not allow different layouts for different armors? - Is it true or false?

If it is false, please, give the worked example from .rul file.

From the quick check I just did, it looks like this ability is only in the OpenXcom Extended Branch.  So there you go.  It gives armor the same ability to define builtInWeapons: as units have.

As far as "only two and a half men..."  seems like you are a bit narrow in your view, as I get the sense that a lot of the developers and players enjoy working with linux, especially for building versions of the project.  I can't really speak to what linux variant works, and what doesn't and in which environments and why, but most of the linux users in the community often find ways to address their problems by adding lines to cmake and building their own.

Anyway, it seems like these are not the droids you are looking for.   I'm sorry you wasted your time looking for a feature that wasn't available in vanilla.