Author Topic: Seagull missiles  (Read 7595 times)

Offline Star_Treasure

• Captain
    • View Profile
Seagull missiles
« on: July 13, 2016, 03:39:35 am »
How come you can buy them when you can't mount them on anything earlygame? I lost my charge laser and now the only craft weapons I can buy are the seagulls, but I can't load them onto my pachyderm,.

Offline karadoc

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Seagull missiles
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 12:36:03 pm »
You might not be able to load onto the first couple of ships you get, but you will gain access to ships with missile slots before you gain access to any other type of missile.

Offline Star_Treasure

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 06:44:17 pm »
Still would be nice if I could buy something that could fit on a jetbike. I have no interception capability right now.

Offline Nygmus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 10:02:55 pm »
I believe your best bet is probably to use your jetbike to shadow ships.

The high speed of the jetbike makes it fairly good at tracking ships to their landing sites, even if it's completely unarmed. A lot of early landers aren't fast enough to do that, they'll often lose the target once it clears radar range of your bases. If you throw a Hand onto the jetbike, it'll stop and give you the option to land, pausing the game and allowing you to send out a real lander.

Honestly, I only use the charger laser on my jetbike to shoot down civilian ships; most of my real scores come from landing zone tracking. Knock over a few small ships and you should be able to get some light ship weapons together, even if it might be a bit before you can research them and reproduce them at a workshop.

Offline Star_Treasure

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 10:56:26 pm »
Jetbike with a laser can bag Guild hoppers easily, and those are full of helpless civilians to train melee on and ransom. You have to watch out for the guild air sailor and flight attendant though. It's like a temple raid except more running around outside trying to round everyone up.

Offline Nygmus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 01:57:29 am »
He doesn't have a laser, he lost it.

Offline Star_Treasure

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 04:38:52 am »
He doesn't have a laser, he lost it.

Who are you talking to?

Offline Nygmus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 05:27:53 am »
Who are you talking to?

I, uh. Didn't notice that you were OP, so I was responding to the guy who was explaining how to use a laser-armed jetbike in a thread asking what to do when you lost your laser.

Offline Star_Treasure

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2016, 07:53:03 am »
Yeah, the charge laser is great when you have it, provided you don't lose it, or worse, sell it before you get the jetbike. (I see a few items in your starting invintory that could be considered n00b traps if you sell them, I assume the menacing hull and core drill are also important?)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2016, 09:03:14 am »
Yeah, the charge laser is great when you have it, provided you don't lose it, or worse, sell it before you get the jetbike.

I'm using a 20mm cannon on my jetbike. Works well.

(I see a few items in your starting invintory that could be considered n00b traps if you sell them, I assume the menacing hull and core drill are also important?)

True, but you don't really need Bonaventura to win.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2016, 08:43:15 pm »
You need some true interceptors before those Seagulls become useful, if you're short on cash you might as well fence them.  Runabouts and Cutters can have light cannons or cannon parts to loot and arm a new Jetbike, otherwise you need specific Contacts research to buy them.  If you manage to find a Spike Rocket Launcher on a landed ship, you can put that on the Pachyderm, but don't expect to take much down with a limited supply of rockets from loot.

Offline Nygmus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2016, 09:44:45 pm »
Yeah, the charge laser is great when you have it, provided you don't lose it, or worse, sell it before you get the jetbike. (I see a few items in your starting invintory that could be considered n00b traps if you sell them, I assume the menacing hull and core drill are also important?)

They are unique, one-per-game crafting components for the Bonaventura, which is an extremely good ship for the time you get it. Four weapon mounts (two heavy, two light), space for like 18 hands, plus roof access so you can send your snipers up top to get a good vantage point on the battlefield without leaving the ship.

Offline Star_Treasure

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2016, 11:10:42 pm »
The charge laser has the huge advantage of not needing ammo unlike the 20mm cannon.

As for the Bonaventura, like I said, noob trap. It's very easy to see somebody selling those without thinking., 

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2016, 01:45:53 am »
So warnings in the item description isn't good nuff?  :P

Offline Star_Treasure

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2016, 06:09:04 am »
Readin's fer Brainers ya Runt.  :P