Author Topic: Chem/Acid Q  (Read 8384 times)

Offline lusciouspear

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Chem/Acid Q
« on: May 23, 2016, 04:04:07 am »
Hey fam,

Quick question: does all chem damage work as 'acid'? In other words, stripping armor? Trying to understand how to tackle those damnable Mercenaries (last attempt w/lasers and gauss used a lot of exploding bricks and ended most of my A-team out of commission for 45 days).

Offline a0kribu

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Chem/Acid Q
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 07:59:08 am »
My experience in Jack Sparrow has led me to ignore them and prep a full Eurosyndicate Lasrifle squad.

Offline AncientSion

• Colonel
  • Ave Caesar, morituri te salutant.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 10:59:57 am »
As far as i know, all chem weapons do indeed damage armour, if the damage inflicted passes the treshold, so rounding down would result in at least 10 / 1 damage.
Also, the melting happens for each shot or pellet, so naturally single shot chem weapons arent really efficient if your aim is to reduce armor. I.e. Magnum Chem is powerful, but not efficient if you want to break down armor. A weapon like the Blunderbluss with Chem Ammo however is very efficient at Stripping armourm due to the amount of shots it fires even on snapfire.

In general however, breaking down armour of Mercs and Marsec is not really that useful to me, because the treshold for it to be worth it is so high (i.e. reduing armour from 90 to 80 is not really helping you ata ll).

Better just use a bunch of gauss muskets or heavy gauss in the first place it probably the more efficient approach if you consider the total TU usage to bring one down compared to using a handful of chem shots.
Or just use RPG with HEAT.

Offline lusciouspear

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 11:26:52 am »
Good point -- I *am* a fan of big explodies. Just researched the advanced launcher

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 12:18:28 pm »
against mercs even gauss doesn't do great because of the pierce resist from 40 to 50% and the huge hp pool. Mercs don't even have that much armor outside the shocktrooper. Even the captain only has 40. Even the lowly soldiers take 3 heavy gauss hits on average to kill. 

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 08:22:08 pm »
Yeah, merc-wise, if you have the advanced launcher, the Mag Rocket might be helpful, but early on, my best Merc weapon was the Reticulan Plasma gun.  I pretty much ignored chem/acid when gearing up for them.

Offline lusciouspear

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 07:26:49 am »
Another quick question -- how do I locate enemy bases? Not the Siberia one (holy hell that was terrifying), but the bases that enemy ships travel to build. I put out a zeppelin over the area with the building going on, but nothing so far.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 07:59:30 am »
Once a base is finished, any patrolling craft (including Zeppelins) will spot it. Maybe the construction isn't finished yet. Also, if out of range of your craft's radars, an undiscovered base might be found at the beginning of each month.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 08:23:53 am »
Generally speaking you need to be quite close to a base for some time before it revels itself. The simplest method of location is to follow the supply ships as the always land right on the base if not shot down. Figure out where that spot is and anchor on it and wait a bit.

Offline lusciouspear

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2016, 08:54:48 am »
Thanks! My zeppelin-stalking worked, and now I have a soft, vulnerable Academy base to annihilate <3

Offline AncientSion

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2016, 10:20:08 am »
How exactly is it soft ? As far as i know, bases are either all or nothing, there is no in between. Once they are finished, they are the same as a base that has been running for 5 years. Is it not so ?

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2016, 10:30:29 am »
apart for the enemy being heavy on high tier units bases are actually very easy(soft) targets for what you get from them. They are small maps with relatively few foes and an environment that heavily favors the player. Hatches to abuse, lifts not stairs, plenty of hard corners to hide around, each map chunk can be cut off from the others and systematically reduced.

Offline lusciouspear

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2016, 09:39:43 am »
You're right! My 2 Academy base invasions were way easy.

One last Q: I'm getting pretty technically advanced (Star Gods tech, 3 of the 'Doctrines' researched). But I can't find the highest-tier bases. I've obliterated 2 Academy bases. But I'm not even seeing Large/V-Large aircraft for the other 3 factions I need. Any tips to get them to show up? Do I need to keep building infamy? Or just shoot down a bunch of stuff? I have all land-masses covered in Hyper-Wave Decoders.

Offline AncientSion

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2016, 10:05:47 am »
I suppose if you want bases to Pop up, you should in fact encourage base construction and NOT shot down frigate+ vessels with the base Mission type set.

Offline Mattdo

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2016, 12:58:07 pm »
Mission generation is weird. I get Cruisers from the various factions all the time (often landing in Australia to try to sway the local government), so it's pretty easy for me to find guild/academy/church bosses. But I haven't seen any Star Gods in years.