Author Topic: 2h weapons and why some are not 2h at all ?  (Read 15576 times)

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: 2h weapons and why some are not 2h at all ?
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2016, 11:37:30 pm »
Visual contact is measured from the head of the soldier, where the eyes are, while firing is measured closer to the waist, where the gun is. It's an oddity that the little red flag shows "Line of Sight" but what you actually care about is "Line of Fire" for the guns. Something like a static red icon for LoS and blinking red for LoF would be a nice way to distinguish both at a glace.

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2016, 01:24:27 am »
I tend to have a versatile loadout and use it all the time
I agree, it's not fun to re-equip often, and especially many people at a time.
In my tests I kept the weapon barely heavier than a rifle. The one or two designated snipers were using pistols while moving, and a few other guys were carrying a spare one in backpack. In maps like terror / farm, if a guy cleared a building and ended upstairs with a fitting viewpoint, somebody at ground level could throw him one.

Offline Eddie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2016, 02:13:22 am »
A 100% TU cost weapon is actually not that much of a problem when you know how to use the flag...

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2016, 03:15:25 am »
Eh, the flag is useful, but it also is a close to 100% TUs "weapon". I used it in few battles to get snipers in position and able to shoot on T1, but after that, the little bit of extra mobility for a group of snipers + 1 flag gal versus 1 more weapon gal just didn't seem to be much better. And I had to move all my other gals out of the way first, otherwise they'd lose a chunk of energy for nothing (which, with some armor, is annoying to lose).

In the end, it felt like trying to exploit a mechanic or solve an equation, the later of which I do routinely for work, not like playing a game, so I quit. The flag is cool and quirky, but it's not for me.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2016, 12:19:48 am »
OK, so the winner is:

1. default kneeling bonus (+15%) will be globally configurable
2. kneeling bonus can be overridden by the weapon being used (other weapon has no effect)

3. default 1-handed penalty (-20%) will be globally configurable
4. 1-handed penalty can be overridden by the weapon being used (other weapon has no effect, strength has no effect, phase of the moon also has no effect)

Usage:

Code: [Select]
kneelBonusGlobal: 200 #100% bonus
oneHandedPenaltyGlobal: 50 #50% penalty
items:
  - type: STR_HARPOON
    kneelBonus: 300 #200% bonus
    oneHandedPenalty: 10 #90% penalty

20% bonus is "120" = 100+20
20% penalty is "80" = 100 - 20