aliens

Author Topic: questions about item stats  (Read 11316 times)

Offline AncientSion

• Colonel
  • Ave Caesar, morituri te salutant.
    • View Profile
questions about item stats
« on: April 16, 2016, 09:39:47 pm »
When comparing a Rapier to Cutlass, the Rapier appears to be used by guys that have no strength.
If the Rapier reads "POWER Bonus: MELEE *.04" does this mean that i get additional damage for my Melee Accuracy skill or what exactly is the "MELEE" referring to ?

Also, weapons have a line that is called "WT x/y" where x and y are number. I suppose its meant to be "weight", but why would an item have 2 weight attributes ?

About the Battle Flag, whoever is using it will never increase any stats, because the flag by itself doesnt train any stat and required 2 hands and almost all TU. Is that correct ?

Cattle Prod reads 70 STUN Damage. It armour applied to any damage type or does stun damage ignore armour ?

EDIT: Also, how it possible that a ship can, inside my radar coverage, dissapear ?!

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: questions about item stats
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 09:46:15 pm »
MELEE indeed means the character's melee stat. A girl with melee accuracy 50 will do 20 more damage.
WT shows the weapon's weight, empty and loaded with a clip I think.
Cattle prod's damage is indeed reduced by armor.
Ships disappear when their mission is completed.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 10:19:04 pm »
The battle flag is indeed bad for stat training. However one could carry a pistol or other one handed item and place that on the ground when you want to use the flag and pick it up the next turn.

Honestly I'm not terribly impressed by the flag and it's upgrade. It does fill a valid need because we have morale decay and panic spirals are very bad. However useing it a lot actually prevents growth of bravery since you have to be low morale and resist a panic check to grow bravery. Usually several times in a mission. 11 successful resists needed for 100% chance.

Offline Eddie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 10:29:07 pm »
The battleflag is a fantastic item, if used correctly. It's strong point is not that it restores moral but that it restores time units. The effect scales with bravery and is stronger at the center of the "explosion". With high bravery the area of effect is also quite large.
I use the flag for hit and run melee tactics. You can run a distance and then refresh your TU with a well posioned flag user to prevent reaction fire when storming in. Or you can refresh the TUs of a retreating girl. You could also have a flag user with your long range firing squad and give them enough TU for a second shot.

The important point is, use the flag after your gals have used up some TU. You get no extra TU when your TU are already full.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 10:51:04 pm »
The battleflag is a fantastic item, if used correctly. It's strong point is not that it restores moral but that it restores time units. The effect scales with bravery and is stronger at the center of the "explosion". With high bravery the area of effect is also quite large.
I use the flag for hit and run melee tactics. You can run a distance and then refresh your TU with a well posioned flag user to prevent reaction fire when storming in. Or you can refresh the TUs of a retreating girl. You could also have a flag user with your long range firing squad and give them enough TU for a second shot.

The important point is, use the flag after your gals have used up some TU. You get no extra TU when your TU are already full.

Great analysis and Tactic!  I took the liberty of adding it to the wiki in a spoiler section on the BattleFlag :) https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Equipment_(Piratez)#Utility

Offline greattuna

• Colonel
  • No range like point blank range.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2016, 10:55:55 pm »
Wait, it restores TU?

I never quite got the gist of this item, and lost my only flag to a random explosion. Can I get a quick explanation of how it works?

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2016, 11:20:05 pm »
It does restore TUs scaled by bravery of user as well as morale. However it doesn't restore the TU of the user and costs a very % of TU to use. It also requires I believe 70 morale or higher to use. Effective use is hard to manage. The requirements for good user are therefore a minimum of 70 bravery(so decay doesn't render it useless) and very high TU so the gal can still maneuver and juggle items on turns where flag will not be actived.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2016, 12:10:11 am »

Holy Moley, a Space Marine Sergeant!

Wait, it restores TU?

Ehm... from the Bootypedia:

Use the flag to restore squad morale! And give them some Time Units! Those wearing improper uniforms will benefit less, as will those who are inherently brave. The Flag requires worthy hands. If it's used by a coward, not only the effect will be smaller, but she might lose her nerve as well.  Wt: 15.{NEWLINE}Skill: BRAVERY*2.0{NEWLINE}POWER Bonus: BRAVERY*2.0

Offline sambojin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2016, 02:32:06 am »
If you want to train bravery for a specific gal, just set her to nude for a mission or two. As long as the mission isn't really short, the extra combat stress will eventually panic her, which she'll recover from, and train the stat. Even +20 bravery is worth it from a couple of missions, more stats if she actually does a bit of stuff. Hazing rookies is great.

It's a pretty good idea to not give her pre-primed grenades or anything though, in case deaths berserk her. If she just sits in the Bonny and throws down necessary items, she'll still panic eventually, but she's doing something kind of useful. Then again, great stamina kind of begs to be given a mêlée/energy using weapon of some sort. And does stats even better after a few swings.

I'll have to try out the flags more often. I never use them, but they might fit great with my style of play.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 02:55:56 am by sambojin »

Offline sabrecat

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2016, 03:15:49 am »
Are flags two handed? They don't have the green or red "2" glyph with that option enabled.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2016, 03:26:51 am »
My bravery training is a little bit more brute force and min-maxy. I sack those with less then 40 bravery. Since panic states occur below 50 morale with increasing chance the lower you go, a 40 bravery stat sets your natural decay floor to 40 which is a low chance to panic on given test and therefore a high resist roll. More resists more chance to gain. At 50 bravery you need a little nudge to trip over into panic chances. Like oh say squad mate panic. Not to many of course or you get a spiral. But occasional panic that merely shoves the next tier into tests with very high success rate is acceptable. Once your bravery is at 60 your safe from decay and can start to take other types of morale hits with reasonable fortitude. Normal things like wounds and combat events take over from here.

another note about 40 bravery is that post panic/berserk you gain 15 morale so if you triggered at 35 or above your "safe" from an immediate relapse.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2016, 03:42:24 am »
My way to deal with panic is very simple: kill something. There are usually enough targets for that that I don't need to worry about combat stress.

I've never sacked low bravery gals because of that, my screening stats are reactions, melee, firing and throwing (any one of them need to be enough to be worth it, or the average needs to be good enough). Bravery training happens.. sometimes, usually isolated random gals panic for a turn then they feel better.

Would be nice if proximity to other gals had a "group safety" effect on bravery (but proximity to corpses decreases bravery?).

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2016, 04:36:03 am »
To each there own. I'm a tad more stringent in bravery since i have a rather slow paced "safe" tactical style. My maps run quite long so decay is a concern. I also don't play at high end difficulty so target richness suffers in later stages of a map.

Offline Eddie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2016, 02:37:48 pm »
For continuous flag use I have two gals. After one uses the flag she drops it (flag use gives her back enough TU to drop and move) and the other picks it up and can use it the next turn. When the other girl uses the flag, she restores the moral on the first girl so she has full moral and can then use the flag again next turn. This way you can use the flag every turn without needing exceptionally good moral. If you have two flags this becomes even easier. With more flags you could potentially have infinite TU. Requiring 20 slaves to build a flag totally makes sense for this potentially gamebreaking item.

- Flag use trains bravery. Using the flag drops your moral so you can train bravery by repeated flag use.
- Use armor that gives a boost to bravery to make the flag more effective. Pirate clothing gives +10 bravery.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2016, 02:45:49 pm »
It's always heartwarming to know that there are at least some players who really use their heads instead of just whining :) Looks like I need the flag to inflict some energy drain on all the targets to avoid endless use.