aliens

Author Topic: Really really fast Chryssalid or bug?  (Read 11659 times)

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Really really fast Chryssalid or bug?
« on: March 30, 2016, 03:47:16 pm »
I'm quite positive, that the game states (and always respected) the fact, that enemy units in base attacks will always start from hangars and main access lift. Well, it's the very first round and I got this:

How can that be? It's clearly not in a hangar, not at the main access lift. And the attack has just begun, very first round. Either this fellow was fast enough to run in 0 rounds to this spot (JK) or this is a bug. Anyone else experienced that before? I have version 249101d-dirty (it's a while ago). And as I'm in the middle of an iron man base attack, I can't simply update and reload this one.

Offline Brian

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Really really fast Chryssalid or bug?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 03:57:30 pm »
In vanilla XCOM, XCOM and aliens will take each others' spawning spaces if there aren't enough valid spawning spaces for their own team.  But I would expect OpenXCOM to have fixed that.

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 04:21:45 pm »
You could check out this link for further info on spawning points. Unless openxcom has changed this, you only have a total of 40 points available for xcom at the start of a base defence(HWP's use 4 points). So don't have too many HWP's in your base. If all alien spawning points which usually are the hangers and access lift are used up they start to use xcom spawning points. Personally I always have 3 hangers in a base to try and avoid this but if you're playing on Superhuman there's still a chance the aliens will start in nasty positions.

https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Spawn_Points

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 04:26:45 pm »
Nice one, forgot about that!

Offline R1dO

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 04:27:04 pm »
And just to be sure, since your build is flagged "dirty". You didn't make any changes to the spawning algorithm yourself?

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 05:26:46 pm »
it's a bad spawn node. use the universal patch.

aliens don't use xcom spawn points or vice versa, and they never did. the general store contains a terror unit spawn point by mistake.
the only way to fix it is to replace the .RMP file (which the universal patch does).

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 06:26:07 pm »
You could check out this link for further info on spawning points. Unless openxcom has changed this, you only have a total of 40 points available for xcom at the start of a base defence(HWP's use 4 points). So don't have too many HWP's in your base. If all alien spawning points which usually are the hangers and access lift are used up they start to use xcom spawning points. Personally I always have 3 hangers in a base to try and avoid this but if you're playing on Superhuman there's still a chance the aliens will start in nasty positions.
A base with one hangar, but only 10 soldiers and one tank.
And just to be sure, since your build is flagged "dirty". You didn't make any changes to the spawning algorithm yourself?
Nope, didn't even change a letter of the source.
it's a bad spawn node. use the universal patch.
I thought I did. It's automatically copied in, when building and installing. Unless there have been changes recently to the universal patch, I did apply it.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2016, 07:42:27 pm »
my mistake, that module's actually a workshop (XBASE_03) and also has a bad spawn node (or three)

here's an updated patch, will be added to the download section soon.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 04:19:02 am by Warboy1982 »

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 02:49:02 am »
Thanks, I'll integrate that into mine, too.

Offline Countdown

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2016, 12:44:49 pm »
my mistake, that module's actually a workshop (XBASE_03) and also has a bad spawn node (or three)

here's an updated patch, will be added to the download section soon.
Question about this patch thing. When I originally downloaded OXC I used 1.0 and I believe the windows installer automatically applied the universal patch to my game files. Then when I upgraded to the nightlies, I just copied the game files from my 1.0 folder and put them in the nightlies folder. That should be fine right? Moving them doesn't change anything or the patch hasn't changed since 1.0 has it? I don't think I've experienced any of the bugs from the original, but since I'm not a vet I might not recognize them if I did (case and point, the situation in this thread).

On that note, how does one apply a patch? I googled it and I must be less computer literate than I thought because I couldn't find instructions that seemed to apply to this case.

I've only played the original, but plan on getting TFTD and didn't know if there was a patch I'd need to apply for that.

Thanks for any advice.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2016, 12:50:32 pm »
the patch i've included above is for the universal patch, updated to the current nightly folder structure, and includes a few extra fixes, as well as a bunch of stuff for TFTD.

when updating from 1.0 to nightly, and moving your game files from the old "data" folder to the new "UFO" folder, make sure you remove all the old xcom data folders as well (Shader, SoldierName, Language, etc.) other than that, it's totally fine to update it that way.

Offline Countdown

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2016, 01:21:48 pm »
when updating from 1.0 to nightly, and moving your game files from the old "data" folder to the new "UFO" folder, make sure you remove all the old xcom data folders as well (Shader, SoldierName, Language, etc.) other than that, it's totally fine to update it that way.

Thanks for the quick response. And cool, that's exactly what I did except for some reason I didn't remove Shader. Removed that from here forward. No idea if it affected anything since I've played a lot and not noticed any problems, but good to have it the right way now rather than push my luck.

the patch i've included above is for the universal patch, updated to the current nightly folder structure, and includes a few extra fixes, as well as a bunch of stuff for TFTD.
All right, I'll be sure to figure out how to apply the patch file before I do TFTD then.

Offline Countdown

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2016, 12:01:11 am »
So I got a base defense mission with a sectopod spawned in my psi lab on the first turn (see screen shot). Obviously I do not want that, so I came here and downloaded the updated universal patch and applied it (was a lot simpler than I thought, I mistakenly thought it was going to be a .patch file) and re-loaded my campaign from 5-days before the base attack. Let the time run, got the base defense mission and the sectopod still spawned in the same place in my psi lab.

Is that another bad spawn point or will the patches only prevent this in NEW saves and not ones you've already started (since my base was already built)?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 12:05:39 am by Countdown »

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2016, 06:16:16 am »
it kinda worries me that this is happening so much recently, and not so much in the past, almost like something has changed in the spawning procedures (it hasn't, not in a while) but maybe it's been there the whole time and it's just luck that it hasn't popped up? seems unlikely, but it's the best i've got.