aliens

Author Topic: Parrot mod  (Read 15048 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Parrot mod
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2016, 12:28:45 pm »
The Voodoo Power of cat means they can equal an integrated scanner, track the last opponents on the map and they can see clearly the invisible Eternals, and do not forget, open doors! ;)

...but it's using Civilian AI, which means it's useless but adorable!

Offline Ashert

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2016, 10:29:40 pm »
...but it's using Civilian AI, which means it's useless but adorable!

I mean without AI, the cat can fight! Just a little more stroner as the parrot! The only difference is, the magic cat has a built-in scanner in the sense of their voodoo instinct! The magic cat is a unit and is enabled for the Mistress! I hope someone can integrate this unit for my female gang and the research report for it.

Here an first idea for the story: A cat runs itself into X-Com headquarters. Had hunger and was small. But the Mistress gave her a special place in the dojo and the best food from the autopsy department with strange effects thereafter.: :)

« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 08:43:02 pm by Ashert »

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
Re: Parrot mod (Third Time is a Charm?)
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2016, 08:36:35 pm »
Okay, once again, I'm back with an updated sprite sheet.   After adding tails, then fixings some stationary facings, I got annoyed watching the birdies flapping funny as they flew.  This prompted me to actually do some real analysis on the sprite and figure out what was going on. 

For reference I grabbed a copy of the green stargod sprites, broke them into 8 per line, and marked out the facings.

With this in hand, I overlaid the current sprite that is shipping with Piratez .98C.  I noticed some errors, (Marked in grey) with the animation facings and even a tweak or two with the stationary facing.  After the fix everything is as it should be. (swapped the last three on lines 2 & 4, and 6 & 8)

>>

Updated sprite sheet with 16 per line attached.  Just overwrite the parrot.png in \user\mods\Piratez\Resources\Sprites

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2016, 09:38:12 pm »
Umm, it might be just me, but it's the original sheet which has good facings, while yours is erroneus. I wasn't sure of this before but your detailed depiction leaves no doubts.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2016, 10:03:38 pm »
Umm, it might be just me, but it's the original sheet which has good facings, while yours is erroneus. I wasn't sure of this before but your detailed depiction leaves no doubts.

Heh.  In game, my sheet looks perfect to me, but I guess not everyone interprets pixels the same way.  Anyhow, my sheet is here if anyone wants it.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2016, 10:13:07 pm »
There are a few things that strike me as off in both, actually..

Like the top/bottom left and right going images not just being a mirror image of each others. I guess it's because of some implied lighting effect?

In my games the parrot just glides 95% of the time.. which I guess I'll have to look into too.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
Flappy Parrot mod
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2016, 06:48:54 pm »
Thanks to Yankes, we now have the "Flappy Parrot"!!!  :D :D

I've packaged his animation script into a stand alone mod, until/if Dioxine incorporates into the main build of Piratez. 
I believe this requires at least OXCE+ 3.0.  I tested it with Meridian's build of 3.2 v2016-07-16

The parrot now flaps wings while stationary and flying at all heights. :)

This mod just needs to be dropped into the /user/mods folder and enabled under Options>Mods from the main menu.

The ruleset only applies the script to the parrot armor, all other assets come from Piratez.  I haven't tested with the sprite sheet from the main build but it may be disconcerting.  If you find it looks off, I recommend using the spritesheet I posted earlier in this thread.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 06:55:07 pm by ivandogovich »

Offline Star_Treasure

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2016, 09:19:26 pm »
This makes me wish there was a similar unit for regular X-com. A "Parrot" UAV perhaps.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
Parrot mod: No more batwings!
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2016, 09:08:47 pm »
So I was in the spriting mood after working on some scout drones for hellrazor. 

I remembered that the original bat sprite sheet that this parrot was modeled on, continued to come through in the shape of the wing at times.  So I decided to revise the sheet once again, to convert the wings to feathers instead of membranes stretched between finger bones.  I also dressed up the death animations just a touch.  I'll upload the sprite sheet here, as well as the full flappy parrot mod for those that would like to use it in place of the stock parrot in XPiratez.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 09:12:19 pm by ivandogovich »