aliens

Author Topic: Destroying a cyber disc  (Read 12140 times)

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Destroying a cyber disc
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2016, 05:16:39 pm »
Well, the stun rod is inflicting damage by electric pulses. Maybe the stun bomb does that in a completely different manner, that affects technology differently, than electric pulses...

Offline Countdown

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2016, 05:23:10 pm »
That could be; maybe that's what the original designers thought. I thought of it more like the explosion came from the cyberdisc dying, so if it was still alive and just stunned, it shouldn't blow up. Either way, I'm glad you can use either stun rod or stun bomb in OXC.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2016, 05:31:08 pm »
The article is a bit confusing, but the relevant part on explosions is:

Although they cannot be captured, Cyberdiscs take damage from Stun Rods and Stun Bombs and will not explode if they are finished by one.

That is also the case in OpenXCom, if you stun them, they don't blow up but they still self-destruct, meaning that you get a corpse, not a live one.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2016, 05:33:00 pm »
They do not explode if killed by Melee damage as well. At least recently.

Offline Countdown

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2016, 05:39:39 pm »
The article is a bit confusing, but the relevant part on explosions is:

That is also the case in OpenXCom, if you stun them, they don't blow up but they still self-destruct, meaning that you get a corpse, not a live one.
Yeah I would say the article is written very confusingly and I still think at least one part is wrong (at least in OXC's world):
Quote from: UFOPaedia
Or you could just stun it with a Stun Rod and bypass the explosive characteristic altogether (Stun Bombs set off the self-destruct).
The way that is phrased it is saying a stun rod will not set off the explosive self-destruct, but a stun bomb will. That is not the case in OXC as a stun bomb doesn't make it explode. (At least tested on ground level ... maybe different if it is a few levels up?)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 05:43:32 pm by Countdown3 »

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2016, 06:19:12 pm »
They do not explode if killed by Melee damage as well. At least recently.
Odd, I know I tried in an earlier version of Piratez and the valorous gal who got the kill didn't get to the celebration...

The way that is phrased it is saying a stun rod will not set off the explosive self-destruct, but a stun bomb will. That is not the case in OXC as a stun bomb doesn't make it explode. (At least tested on ground level ... maybe different if it is a few levels up?)
The part you quoted is indeed wrong, and contradicted in other parts of the text (not a great article..). They do not explode on being stunned by either the rod or stun bombs. They do, however, only leave a corpse behind.

Offline Arcticblue

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2016, 07:21:01 pm »
Hmmm long time since I did this, but I always tought you had to "stun" one to get to the anti-gravity technology for your suits.. So I always have 2 stun-bomb launchers with me on missions.

But I play the original game not openxcom ... also, the cyber-disk sometimes selvdestruct when you stun it, sometimes it does not ... just lay there.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2016, 07:28:23 pm »
Flying suits do not require cyberdiscs, nor do overtanks or any of the UFO crafts. That's something some UFO mods do integrate though.

It's interesting that you say it sometimes blows up on stun and sometimes not, in the vanilla game. That might be why it is written that way in the UFOPaedia article then.

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2016, 09:22:31 pm »
That's the way I remember it from OpenXcom as well, when shooting it with whatever. Most of the time it blows up, sometimes it doesn't. At least that's the way I remember it.

Offline alienfood

• Captain
  • It's people!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2016, 02:10:08 pm »
The strategery on cyberdisks is to have laser weapons by the time they show up. This may not be possible on the higher difficulties. Otherwise, you have to keep nuking them with the biggest thing you have until they pop. If you stumble into a group, blowing up one often triggers them all, which is helpful.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2016, 03:10:48 pm »
I usually kill Cyberdiscs with the Rocket Launcher and Large Rockets.
Its the only early game weapon, which is avaible from the start which has a 33% chance of killing them instantly on Superhuman difficulty.
Cyberdiscs do have 38 Armor in all directions on Superhuman, they also only take 60% of damage from explosives, but since they are a 2x2 unit, they do take 4 times the damage on a direct. Also they do not explode, if you kill them with Large Rockets.

Conventional Rifles will also withle them down over time, even on Superhuman but you need a lot of shots (38 armor with 0.8 damage from AP weapons and 120 HP vs Rifle damage of 30).

Of course once Laser Rifles are avaible, those are the prefered way of engagement vs Cyberdiscs.
On any difficulty they actually lack the ability to down those in one shot thou.

Thats why i always have 2 Rocketeers on my Combat teams, equipt with a full load of Large Rockets, i even have some preloaded spare Rocket Launchers and some spare Large Rockets in the Skyranger on top, you never know, when you need the extra firepower :)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 03:31:59 pm by hellrazor »

Offline dashyr

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2016, 12:43:13 am »
Hello fellow commanders , i have a question about Cyber discs.
So my first terror mission all of the sectoids are eliminated and the only one is left is a pesky cyber disc, so i fired rockets on him, i throwed grenades on him, and an entire gas station exploded around him, the cyber disc is on fire yet he is not down, so what needs to be done  to eliminate it?

my entire unit is almost down i am left with three soldiers and two of them are panicked , so i don't want to abort the mission because of one cyberdisc, any suggestions ?

If you can reach for some High-Explosives. Cyberdiscs tends to die with 1 direct hit. I just started playing and relaying explosives (throwing from soldier to soldier) made it a cakewalk. At wich point I raised difficulty to veteran. So yeah! High explosives or heavy rocket I suppose.