Author Topic: [Suggestion] How to work on projects unrestricted by copyright/trademark  (Read 2257 times)

Offline dingoperson2

• Squaddie
    • View Profile

I'm not a modder, but was sad to see The Two Sides shut down. Anyway, I am pretty sure this should work:

- Openly make a mod where all the sprites and text is contained in separate files, called "Invasion of the Bug Men" or "Angry Guys from Outer Space"
- Someone unknown to the modding team happens to spread a link to a complete graphics and text replacement which you simply unpack in the mod directory to overwrite the files

A company has to protect their intellectual property, so they are to some extent forced to send cease and desist letters even if they don't want to. In this way they wouldn't have to, only to those who hosted the entire integrated project or the imitation graphics. Would probably make game companies very skeptical towards any participants, but hey.

Offline R1dO

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [Suggestion] How to work on projects unrestricted by copyright/trademark
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 01:52:19 pm »
And that would be a solution to which problem?

As far is I know the XCOM copyright holders don't object to OXC. Especially since the original game files are required ... which adds sugar to their sales stats ;)

Offline dingoperson2

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Re: [Suggestion] How to work on projects unrestricted by copyright/trademark
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 07:05:47 pm »
It's a little bit surprising because:

https://www.moddb.com/games/ufo-the-two-sides

NinjaBunny, Creator: Bad news, guys, sorry. The project has been stopped, due to possible legal issues. It's still being discussed, but I may have to take down the downloads. My apologies :\