aliens

Author Topic: [SUGGESTION/REQUEST] Option to make TFTD ship missions only one level  (Read 2751 times)

Offline dingoperson2

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Whenever I think about replaying the XCOMs, I always hesitate to get into TFTD. Mainly because of the ship attack missions. It's just a very very very tedious painstaking slog. I don't really have the time or patience anymore to put in so many hours.

Maybe a randomizer whether you get top deck or bottom deck, so both map types are still in use?

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: [SUGGESTION/REQUEST] Option to make TFTD ship missions only one level
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 05:13:03 pm »
I think Hobbes made 1 level ship missions in UFO Redux? It should be doable with the right map/mission knowledge, as a mod.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 07:04:59 pm »
He did, but AFAIK only for the upper part. I've yet to play Redux.

BTW I'd gladly try a combined map, 8 layers high! But I doubt it's possible, the tilesets are completely different and likely too big to be merged.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 08:49:06 pm »
Yeah, I think OpenXCom allows for more MCDs per maps, but still is limited to how many MCDs per map block?

Having a 8 level mission would be WAY worse than 2x 4 levels though. You'd have to coordinate teams on all levels, and, by "diluting" the XCom team, you would give more time to the aliens (who would themselves be doubled, since you would be fighting both levels at once) to slaughter the civilians.

I think dingo meant fighting either on the top OR the bottom, which could be done by having a 1 level fight which randomly picks either the top or the bottom map.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 02:56:32 pm »
Yeah, I think OpenXCom allows for more MCDs per maps, but still is limited to how many MCDs per map block?

Not per map block, but per terrain. And also per tileset, though you can have multiple tilesets per terrain (which is almost always the case).

Having a 8 level mission would be WAY worse than 2x 4 levels though. You'd have to coordinate teams on all levels, and, by "diluting" the XCom team, you would give more time to the aliens (who would themselves be doubled, since you would be fighting both levels at once) to slaughter the civilians.

Yes, that's why I'd like to try it. :P

I think dingo meant fighting either on the top OR the bottom, which could be done by having a 1 level fight which randomly picks either the top or the bottom map.

Right, I forgot to address this. :P I think it's moddable, you need to define two separate terrains and list them both under alienDeployment, just like with alien terrors.