aliens

Author Topic: Big Anouncement  (Read 9801 times)

Offline carbine

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Big Anouncement
« on: February 02, 2016, 03:05:08 am »
Hello OpenXcom community, big anouncement. Xcom movie coming to a computer screen near you soon(ish). This is not going to be movie commonly seen on Youtube or similar site where game footage is recorded and slapped together with duct tape and called a movie. This is a full fledged movie with actors, sets, props, and more explosions and pixelized death you can shake your stick at. I am going to do this movie in the style of Claymation, move an actor and take a picture then combine all pictures into video, mostly because of lack of skillset to automate most of the things I would like to accomplish. The tests I have done don't take long to do and look really nice. If you would like to part of this massive project (world first) any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you would like to be in this movie(pointing at you lead developers and modders and anybody else reading this) send me or upload on here all 8 directions of a head picture of you in the Xcom isometric view. The soldier picture below is an example of the detail available at that resolution, I will be able to make their mouth move for when they are talking. High resolution would be best, but send what you have. The Xcom main base is being created with a 8000 x 8000) resolution. Also below is a reverse view of the Skyranger, I spent way more time looking for a Gimp addon or graphics program capable of do that kind of mirroring than actually doing it. It still needs some work, but happy with it so far. The resolution will be doubled once I finish all the tweaks. You will see the Skyranger fly into view, touch down, and see the ramp drop down and the carnage begin. Hope you don't mind the OpenXcom logo on the wings. That logo is also on the command center floor  in the base as well. If you have some music for a kickass Xcom soundtrack then by all means lets have a listen. Got some high resolutions buildings you would like to see get obliterated, I will have some rookie xcom soldier blow them up after a veteran soldier slipped a primed high explosive inside his backpack and told him to go scout that suspicious looking building over there.

I am aiming at about a 2 hour movie broken into 15-20 minute chunks. After the first movie is released I will either upload all .xcf files and other
resources on OpenXcom mod site if able to, or will upload somewhere else so others can create their own movie (ultimate mod??). Other snapshots will be released in the following days and weeks to show progress and video teasers. All comments, tips, criticism are encouraged.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Big Anouncement
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 11:18:27 am »
fascinating, and quite bold, i might add. what a shame i'm not an artist :P

Offline carbine

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 04:10:20 pm »
If only we could trade skills for a month or so and I could automate all of the tedious and boring parts.

Offline xracer

• Commander
  • X-COM lover, we've gone at it everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 06:28:52 am »
Looks like a nice project, a bit ambitious, but i would love to see it complete it. I hope you keep tech similar to the original art work.

Art you redrawing all the artwork? is this going to have a fair resolution :)

Offline carbine

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 05:26:34 pm »
Hello xracer, yes it is a big project but I have the time now. I am paying homage to the greatest game ever made
and would to keep things original where I can. Did not like the look of the rifle so currently modding the soldier sprite
to have an ak47. Only 2 more directions to do. The base commander is working on a low budget and got a whole truckload of
them for $1000. Redrawing where I have to, mostly doubling then using Gimp to smooth out the edges, recolor the boots, add
in different heads and helmets. I quickly threw the picture below together to show the difference. I can have low, mid, and
high res all in the same scene. Found a really nice addon for Gimp for changing pictures to isometric which is a great time
saver.

Offline Bloax

• Colonel
  • do you want to be any of those things
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 05:30:16 pm »
I really do not like the bobblehead look, but I guess you're stuck with that now.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 05:32:12 pm »
I really do not like the bobblehead look, but I guess you're stuck with that now.

Same here.

Offline carbine

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 05:36:26 pm »
I can make them smaller but then you lose the facial details. I made a headless template for adding different heads. I will make up a picture
with different sizes and people can vote on the best size.

Offline carbine

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 05:52:14 pm »
Ok here is 4 different sizes, #4 is the original. Hope nobody votes for the pinhead.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 06:42:38 pm »
i kinda like the bobblehead look, reminds me of final fantasy tactics and the like, and is fairly well in keeping with the anime inspired art style

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2016, 08:34:23 pm »
It only reminds me of Saints Row, and the main cast doing robbery in masks of themselves:

In short, hell no. Unless you're a Saint and doing it for the lulz.

Offline carbine

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 08:49:38 pm »
The base commander would take one look at that guy and assign him the call name of "Redshirt"  and make sure he was the first off the Skyranger.

Offline Bloax

• Colonel
  • do you want to be any of those things
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 11:19:00 pm »
Ok here is 4 different sizes, #4 is the original. Hope nobody votes for the pinhead.
#2 Looks good.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2016, 11:22:44 pm »

#1 is plain bad,
#4 is bad (looks like from settlers)
#2 is good
#3 is better

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2016, 01:41:01 am »
What's bad about #1? It's the only one looking relatively normal. And it's certainly detailed enough.