Author Topic: [OLD] Old OXCE+ discussion thread  (Read 720641 times)

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [OXCE+] Meridian's resources and mods for (not only) X-PirateZ
« Reply #1170 on: February 24, 2017, 04:06:13 pm »
Hi, I really love all your efforts with OXCE+ Meridian and big thanks to Yankes too of course!

Thanks!

There seems to be a problem with the new fixed user options feature. If defined, via ruleset on a vanilla based mod, the game crashes on clicking the advanced user options button in the options menu. The error: [FATAL]   OpenXcom has crashed: Segmentation fault. This usually indicates something missing in a mod.
Happens only with the fixed user options code, otherwise it works fine.

Can you please post the ruleset, which causes the crash?
I don't have a crystal ball :)

I wonder, would it be possible to hardcode ufopedia text and button colors and support custom palette backgrounds and pictures without have to edit every picture to match palette entries? It is very inconvenient and full support for 256 color custom palette or 16 Bit color pictures with ruleset definable text and button colors would be really cool and easy to use. Weaponspedia excluded of course, because of needed battlescape palette. But, maybe the background..?
Short: Able to choose ufopaedia.pal color entries for text and buttons and allow pictures in pedia with any custom palette.

No, this is not possible (without changing everything).
If it was possible, I would implement it like that from start... I have no desire to make it inconvenient... it's just the best I can do.

Btw. did you see the plugin, which can do everything for you in one click?
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,5290.msg79124.html#msg79124

Looking forward to the upcoming base defence features, TFTD text color support and your next let's play episode. Keep up the good work, guys! You make a original X-Com hardcore fan really happy.

8)

Offline Neo23

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: February 25, 2017, 02:10:33 am »
Sure, from my mod's vars.rul file:
Code: [Select]
# OXCom Extended Plus - Fixed User Options
fixedUserOptions:
  battleUFOExtenderAccuracy: true
  canSellLiveAliens: true
  battleExplosionHeight: 1
  storageLimitsEnforced: true
  craftLaunchAlways: true
  canTransferCraftsWhileAirborne: true
  showMoreStatsInInventoryView: true
  strafe: true
  alienBleeding: true
  battleInstantGrenade: false
  weaponSelfDestruction: false

About the pedia images, i was afraid it was not that simple to do, but do not worry, you are doing a great job anyway with all these new features and still keep everything vanilla compatible.
Indeed, I never heard of that converter plugin. Never used GIMP before, but this plugin sounds really nice. Actually this seems to make everything easy and convenient to use. Thanks for the Tip, exactly what I needed!

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: February 25, 2017, 10:47:26 am »
Sure, from my mod's vars.rul file:

Works for me... can you try with just one setting?

PS: you are not limited to just those from my example, all advanced settings can be fixed.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: February 25, 2017, 02:10:12 pm »
New version is up.

2017-02-25
 - Ability to define multiple hidden movement backgrounds: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4830.msg79722.html#msg79722
 - Fixed bug with displaced and exploding primed grenades (when equipped using templates, after mission briefing)
 - Ability to display mission info on Geoscape: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4830.msg79717.html#msg79717
 - Added sort by name button in Select Armor GUI
 - Ability to skip base defense missile fire

Download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8itkFQbhj-YbEFtdVVxb08yMEk

alienDeployments:
  - type: STR_LOC_SPACE_STATION_3
    alert: STR_ALERT_ORBIT
    alertDescription: STR_ALERT_ORBIT_INFO
    briefing:
      palette: 3
      background: ORBIT_BACKGROUND.SCR
hiddenMovementBackgrounds:
  - TAC00.SCR
  - TAC01.SCR # DON'T use this one, it will be cut off on the edges, which you don't want
  - BACK04.SCR # use other existing backgrounds on your own risk, I'd create new ones, just to be sure

extraStrings:
  - type: en-US
    strings:
      STR_START_FIRING: "Fire!"
      STR_SKIP_FIRING: "Let them in..."
      STR_INFO: "INFO"

Offline Neo23

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: February 25, 2017, 03:03:08 pm »
I tried every option alone to be sure and the game crashes with all of them except for one. The "showMoreStatsInInventoryView" option is the only working one, all others crash on advanced options menu.
It is really strange. I can not imagine what could be missing here. All files are there and the mod is very very early. Nearly nothing is implemented yet. Most is vanilla. I am just preparing to use OXCE+ for my new mod and test out features.

P.S. I am using german language, but I doubt it has anything to do with it. Missing strings usually don't crash the game.

PS: you are not limited to just those from my example, all advanced settings can be fixed.
Thanks, that is good to know.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 03:05:39 pm by Neo23 »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: February 25, 2017, 04:19:40 pm »
P.S. I am using german language, but I doubt it has anything to do with it.

Yup, it does, lol.
The issue was with multi-line descriptions... in which case the function getRows() didn't return the correct number of rows ???

Will be fixed in next version.
(https://github.com/MeridianOXC/OpenXcom/commit/20df4ea95f25d1f3b35c5e9170652cf8f67586eb)

Offline Neo23

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: February 25, 2017, 07:49:38 pm »
Cool, I am glad you figured it out. By the way, do you plan to unhardcode the remaining strings too? Like medkit target for example? Would be nice to be able to translate all strings.
Thank you for everything!

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: February 25, 2017, 07:57:31 pm »
By the way, do you plan to unhardcode the remaining strings too? Like medkit target for example? Would be nice to be able to translate all strings.
Thank you for everything!

Yes, I plan to rebase the entire OXCE+ code in Q2/2017 and unhardcode everything that was done in this still-prototyping phase (translations, colors, hotkeys, etc.).
I have roughly 20 items remaining on my todo list, should take me about 2-3 months to finish them... and after that I'll do the rebase.
I actually wanted to wait until OpenXcom 2.0 comes out... but looking at the current state, I don't think that will ever happen.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1178 on: February 26, 2017, 06:21:40 pm »
I'm not sure if I like the changes to the Ufopedia filters. The 'Show only new' button seems useless, as new items are lighted up anyway; and the useful 'mark all as read' button is gone, replaced by a hotkey, which most players won't even know.

Offline BTAxis

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: February 26, 2017, 06:35:26 pm »
It's easy to miss unread articles in Piratez though, the lists get pretty long and some articles are added silently. That said I haven't really played since this got changed so I don't know if it's an improvement.

Offline clownagent

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: February 26, 2017, 07:41:32 pm »
I experience a slightly annoying problem with ufopedia:

When you page through the ufopedia there is some flickering whenever the palette is different between two images. It looks like for a few milliseconds the image is shown in the wrong palette before it switches to the correct palette.

I think this effect is also there in vanilla, but only barely visible, because the palette does not change often between pages. However, if you have a custom palette for each image the effect gets really obvious and disturbing.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 07:59:05 pm by clownagent »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: February 27, 2017, 12:58:49 am »
I'm not sure if I like the changes to the Ufopedia filters. The 'Show only new' button seems useless, as new items are lighted up anyway; and the useful 'mark all as read' button is gone, replaced by a hotkey, which most players won't even know.

The feature was added as a workaround for vanilla "bug" so that people know which articles are new, when the game doesn't notify you.
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4108.0.html

The "Show only new" button is very useful for me; after many research topics (and after each version upgrade), there were many new topics and I had to scroll for them tediously... in long sections (like Weapons) this took a lot of time. "Show only new" saves me all the searching and scrolling.

On the other hand, throughout the whole LP, I haven't used "Mark all as read" button even once.
I want to see and read the new articles, not ignore them all... that's why the feature was introduced in the first place.

PS: As for the manufacture and missing "Hidden" category, I've seen the complaints, I am thinking how to best address them... and still keep research/manufacture/ufopedia GUIs aligned/unified

I experience a slightly annoying problem with ufopedia:

When you page through the ufopedia there is some flickering whenever the palette is different between two images. It looks like for a few milliseconds the image is shown in the wrong palette before it switches to the correct palette.

I think this effect is also there in vanilla, but only barely visible, because the palette does not change often between pages. However, if you have a custom palette for each image the effect gets really obvious and disturbing.

I don't know if there is anything I can do about it.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 01:03:29 am by Meridian »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: March 01, 2017, 08:29:42 pm »
New version is up.

2017-03-01
 - Better info about remaining ammo/uses in Inventory and Hand UI
 - Direct link to craft screen from "Not enough pilots" popup
 - Unhardcoded all pilot-related constants
 - Fix for last region/country graph button not being displayed (if more than 16)
 - Right-click graphs button to toggle all buttons: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4990.msg73377.html#msg73377
 - Civilian deployment by type: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4830.msg79731.html#msg79731
 - Fixed CTD in advanced options, when text was too long (e.g. in German)

Download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8itkFQbhj-YS0JFVGVKVndubkE

# aim bonus/penalty = (averageBaseAccuracyOfAllPilots - pilotAccuracyZeroPoint) * pilotAccuracyRange / 100;
# dodge bonus/penalty = (averageBaseReactionsOfAllPilots - pilotReactionsZeroPoint) * pilotReactionsRange / 100;
pilotAccuracyZeroPoint: 55 # accuracy for no aim bonus
pilotAccuracyRange: 40 # impact (as percentage of distance to zero point) on aim in dogfight
pilotReactionsZeroPoint: 55 # reactions for no dodge bonus
pilotReactionsRange: 60 # impact (as percentage of distance to zero point) on dodge in dogfight
pilotBraveryThresholds: # impacts approach speed, does not impact disengage speed (craft acceleration is used for that)
  - 90 # 200% very bold
  - 80 # 150% bold
  - 30 # 100% normal
# less => 50% cowardly

alienDeployments:
  - type: STR_LOC_LOKNAR_VILLAGE_DEFENSE
    civilians: 0 # no random civilians
    civiliansByType:
      STR_SECTOID_COMMANDER: 1 # yes, now he's a civilian (not for diary purposes tho, can't fool the race)
      STR_HUMAN_FATMAN: 4 # with 2-4 sumo guards

extraStrings:
  - type: en-US
    strings:
      STR_ASSIGN_PILOTS: "Assign pilots..."

Offline EttyKitty

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: March 03, 2017, 05:52:37 pm »
Can somebody help to me with installation? I know, I'am noob but please help, I very want this features in X-PirateZ. When I just copy .exe and activate strings like a mod - nothing changes.
What should I do?

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: March 03, 2017, 06:00:55 pm »
Hi EttyKitty,

and welcome to the forum!

Which feature exactly are you trying to activate?
(so that I know what to answer without giving just a very generic answer)