Author Topic: Extended Piratez general FAQ/Strategy Guide  (Read 335010 times)

Offline Greep

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Extended Piratez general FAQ/Strategy Guide
« Reply #705 on: September 04, 2020, 08:55:08 pm »
Yeah difficulty doesn't affect shootdown crackdowns unfortunately.  They don't seem really necessary when the game already has scheduled faction retals, but that's the way it is.  You're best off not shooting down anything faction related until you've got a hyperwave decoder so you don't accidentally piss these guys off.

Regarding spider silk spider hunt, yup.  You can occasionally get spider corpses from from expedition strongboxes, I definitely recommend doing those anyways when you've got more than a few hundred vault space.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 09:00:39 pm by Greep »

xcomfan

« Reply #706 on: September 05, 2020, 06:15:01 pm »
Yeah difficulty doesn't affect shootdown crackdowns unfortunately.  They don't seem really necessary when the game already has scheduled faction retals, but that's the way it is.  You're best off not shooting down anything faction related until you've got a hyperwave decoder so you don't accidentally piss these guys off.

oh ok actually i did not even think to shoot down mercs: only groun assaulted a ship of theirs and was lucky to capture a merc commando, they're very irritable!

Regarding spider silk spider hunt, yup.  You can occasionally get spider corpses from from expedition strongboxes, I definitely recommend doing those anyways when you've got more than a few hundred vault space.

thanks, actually went on a spider hunt mission and fought some nomads and stole some spider silk from them and then retreat! ;D here we have another run with green codex, the only thing i hate about it are those damn gas triggers in worm >.<

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #707 on: September 05, 2020, 08:02:37 pm »
Difficulty does, in fact, affect retaliation chance after shootdown, or at least chance that they will throw retal on the continent the attack originated from (else they will target the continent where shootdown took place).

xcomfan

« Reply #708 on: September 05, 2020, 08:13:20 pm »
Difficulty does, in fact, affect retaliation chance after shootdown, or at least chance that they will throw retal on the continent the attack originated from (else they will target the continent where shootdown took place).

Ok but the difficulty setting was 1 so quite low, interestingly in that game i had two bases the ground assault which i mentioned above happened in USA near my second base while crackdown targete my main one. Comclusion: mercenarues are really ruthless!!! :'(

Offline Greep

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: September 05, 2020, 08:32:40 pm »
Ah didn't know that about retals.  Actually I'm pretty confused how you even got that retaliation if it's year 2 and you're on diff 1 doing only ground assaults o.O

xcomfan

« Reply #710 on: September 05, 2020, 09:32:00 pm »
I really don't know how to think, in the aforementioned game one of their vessels intercepted my metallo durin air patrolling before i kidnapped the merc commando, pheraphs they discivered location of my main hideout? Who knows.. :-\

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: September 06, 2020, 03:42:43 pm »
lots of things hunt for your base. Ratman patrols, deamon flocks, everything with radar. And once a base is pinged anyone else can jump on the opportunity until some actually makes the strike.

Now usually the same faction that found you in the first place is the one to make the strike, but the waves are spaced out with some RNG, so the attack wave from a search can get preempted.

xcomfan

« Reply #712 on: September 06, 2020, 04:01:57 pm »
oh, ok so that leads to a question - aside to building an hideout shroud - what are best tacticts to avoid hideout spottings?

Offline JustTheDude/CABSHEP

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: September 06, 2020, 08:22:48 pm »
Don't shoot down bigger factions vessels near your base and shoot down anything with radar before it goes near your base.

Offline Greep

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: September 08, 2020, 11:10:19 am »
Anyone try the x-prison mission with the freshness weapons system?  Trying x-prison for the first time, sadly think everyone's gonna die xD.  A single shot from the harpoon stuns pretty much kills off the gal for the rest of the mission due to the unrecoverable freshness, and I don't see how to avoid getting harpooned a few times since you need to move at least somewhat quickly in the first place.

Edit: yeah that was disappointing.  Made it to the top, but everyone was panicking and having no TUs because they had 1-2 dart/harpoon hits.  So close :(
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 11:45:13 am by Greep »

Offline Jimboman

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: September 08, 2020, 05:03:45 pm »
Anyone try the x-prison mission with the freshness weapons system?  Trying x-prison for the first time, sadly think everyone's gonna die xD.  A single shot from the harpoon stuns pretty much kills off the gal for the rest of the mission due to the unrecoverable freshness, and I don't see how to avoid getting harpooned a few times since you need to move at least somewhat quickly in the first place.

Edit: yeah that was disappointing.  Made it to the top, but everyone was panicking and having no TUs because they had 1-2 dart/harpoon hits.  So close :(

By the time the x-prison comes-up you should have well-trained gals to send on the mission.  I sent my best (a princess among them) with good tu's that enabled them to duck into cover so they didn't get shot.  I won by having the academy people panicking after I killed a few medics and an esper!

The trick is to not move quickly enough to take out the enemy, but not so quick your gals get over tired.  One or two did panic, but killing an enemy and allowing the gals to rest helps.

This was on John Silver difficulty on L2 by the way, before the 'mistake' in panics on L3.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 05:08:16 pm by Jimboman »

Offline Greep

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: September 08, 2020, 10:22:30 pm »
Yeah I think I moved a little too fast, but mostly the hard parts are those long corridors with no doors or those windowed dead ends.  Not much you can do but run to the end and hope an enemy isn't going to round the corner/wall.  Maybe I'll chuck some high explosives around the corner next time just to be sure, at least now that I know the layout I know I won't blow up any stairs.

Also probably should've used the painkiller from looted advanced medipacks, I forgot that even existed during the mission since I don't really use it.

I did send my best, so next time around will be with my not-so-best, though lol.  I think my Pirate queen is the last of the lunatics left.

For the L3 morale issue, there's a bug fix you can apply in the bugs thread, though, so I at least wasn't running with all of the enemies unpanicked :)

Edit: Ah, I really should've been wearing rags instead of topless, didn't realize they give the same reactions.  That'd probably make things a lot easier not having any panicking.

Well anyways, rags is definitely the way to go, beat it on the second time around and... gotta say that is a ridiculous amount of loot O.O  Was about to make it to the exit and got the victory screen instead.  I'm not sure what I'd even do with 147 life support systems, but it's pretty nice :)

I'm not sure why, but I didn't face any espers.  I'm assuming it's because I unlocked the mission very early (year 1), so maybe the game just wouldn't add it to the map or something.

In case anyone's curious, here's the loot, I really feel sorry for anyone who took the exit.  I can see why people keep the airbus, that was tough in the van:

Spoiler:

(also 5 ship engines)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 10:28:23 am by Greep »

xcomfan

« Reply #717 on: September 09, 2020, 12:15:02 pm »
It's a stealth/infiltration mission, the key is not gettin too tyred, but most important avoid not to get shot even one single time

Offline Greep

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: September 09, 2020, 12:20:01 pm »
Well, I nuked one of my own gals and three engineers with a high explosive on the run I made it with, stealth isn't exactly my specialty ;)

xcomfan

« Reply #719 on: September 14, 2020, 02:22:40 pm »
Well, I nuked one of my own gals and three engineers with a high explosive on the run I made it with, stealth isn't exactly my specialty ;)

Have a look here and the following posts, just take your time snd plan every move, gotta have more patience ;) In the meantime finally manage to build a surgery room and secured the knowlwdge for the study one and the power station, hopefully might start to manufacture advanced firearms, actually i can build smart pistol, shotgun and smartgun (a smart version of the assault machinegun) but why for the smartrifle industrial tools are needed? don't know.... also got academy medic and engineer interrogation! Yay!

hey thare is acharacter limit in the savegame neme file, it depends by the openxcom executable? Hope it will be removed in the next versions!

Edit: this time around i avoided to mess with large/very large enemy vessels, i suppose the mercenaries ones - to get base crackdowns - but deliberatedly missed the "x-prison" mission when spawned; it will do in the future? I hope not to have screwed up the whole game!!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 03:00:36 pm by xcomfan »