Author Topic: Terrain Pack: Shrub-blockade  (Read 20356 times)

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Terrain Pack: Shrub-blockade
« on: October 22, 2015, 12:26:14 pm »
Well, I mostly like the additional maps of the Terrain Pack. But I really don't understand, what this is supposed to accomplish (look at the picture...). I experienced that already earlier in the game, where I at least had a rocket launcher tank with me. But I think, it's just kind of unnecessary. I can only imagine one situation, where this might come in handy: Chryssalid-mission, where you don't have any flying suits in use. Otherwise, this is just blocking your way out. Which then forces you to throw grenades to get out, which unnecessarily endangers your units, as they have a tendency to drop, where they aren't supposed to.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Terrain Pack: Shrub-blockade
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 12:30:24 pm »
This has been discussed like a million times already.

Some consider it a bug, some a feature.
Mod author says it's a feature... you can either live with it or edit the mod if you want.

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 12:34:24 pm »
A feature? How about blocking all the UFOs doors with a big honkin' rock? Let's say, 4x4? Nice feature, that. And if I were in the business of modding, I'd probably just fix this problem myself, no question. But I'm not. As are (by my guess) > 95% of OpenXcom-players.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 12:45:02 pm »
Are you shouting at me or just ventilating at no one in particular?

Btw. I also think it is a bug... just saying that people have already reported it many times and the result was always the same.

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 12:52:03 pm »
Are you shouting at me or just ventilating at no one in particular?
That wasn't shouting at all. THIS IS SHOUTING! ;) No seriously, I'm not angry or something. It's just that this is so obviously not intended by the usual game play. But »feature« isn't exactly, how this looks. Otherwise, the rock-example would have to be treated as such as well... Or how about some randomly not opening UFO-doors? Would probably be funny with UFOs with just one door. »Err... Tha puny humans are at the door. Shall we let them in?« »No. Let them work their proverbial asses of and laugh about them, when they retreat.«
Btw. I also think it is a bug... just saying that people have already reported it many times and the result was always the same.
I didn't notice the previous reports. =)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 02:03:55 pm »
When I first read the title of this thread I thought: 'Great! Someone has designed a new terrain for the pack". It would be a cool name: Shrub Blockade - fight the alien shrubs who are intended on blocking all of Earth's roads. :)

Alas, it was not this way. :(

And neither will these shrubs appear anymore in the next versions of the pack for I have removed them a couple of days ago :)

You shall just need to update thee files with the ones present in 0.7.7 of Redux for the issue to disappear. Or report back if there's still an offending shrub :)

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 03:16:20 pm »
When I first read the title of this thread I thought: 'Great! Someone has designed a new terrain for the pack". It would be a cool name: Shrub Blockade - fight the alien shrubs who are intended on blocking all of Earth's roads. :)
You guys sometimes are just crazy... =)
And neither will these shrubs appear anymore in the next versions of the pack for I have removed them a couple of days ago :)
That's nice. =)
You shall just need to update thee files with the ones present in 0.7.7 of Redux for the issue to disappear.
I'll look into that. But I'd rather have a clean Terrain Pack for archiving purposes. Any ideas about if or when you will update the map pack alone?
Or report back if there's still an offending shrub :)
I sure will do! =) Thanks for all your efforts.

[Edit:]OK, I just looked into that folder. Can you tell me the name of that terrain, so that I can replace it with the proper file(s)?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 03:21:03 pm by 7Saturn »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2015, 03:27:07 pm »
But I'd rather have a clean Terrain Pack for archiving purposes. Any ideas about if or when you will update the map pack alone?

Not soon. Redux has priority since I'm creating a whole bunch of new terrains that eventually will end in the Pack and I don't have to keep updating 2 mods at the same time.

[Edit:]OK, I just looked into that folder. Can you tell me the name of that terrain, so that I can replace it with the proper file(s)?

Look for the FORESTPOLAR, FORESTMOUNTAIN, JUNGLEPOLAR and JUNGLEMOUNTAIN .MAP files. Those should fix the shrub blockage problems, unless I missed a map or terrain.

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2015, 04:15:51 pm »
Look for the FORESTPOLAR, FORESTMOUNTAIN, JUNGLEPOLAR and JUNGLEMOUNTAIN .MAP files. Those should fix the shrub blockage problems, unless I missed a map or terrain.
I just did. I'll keep you posted.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2015, 04:16:53 pm »

Hope you've kept the original? I still want to have jungle maps causing ragequit in people who think nothing about using tanks in the jungle :)

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2015, 04:21:19 pm »
I still want to have jungle maps causing ragequit in people who think nothing about using tanks in the jungle :)
Torturer! :P

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2015, 04:25:09 pm »
Hope you've kept the original? I still want to have jungle maps causing ragequit in people who think nothing about using tanks in the jungle :)

Those maps will still appear during missions but they aren't used anymore on the landing zones.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2015, 05:03:43 pm »
Torturer! :P

Don't blame me, blame Mother Nature for not making forests look like highways. :)

Those maps will still appear during missions but they aren't used anymore on the landing zones.

Ah, so it's just the question of scripting. Cool. We really need that mapblock (& sprite, & tileset) library we've discussed with Hellrazor... maybe Solar could lend his site to that end, hmm...

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2015, 06:20:31 pm »
Occasionly annoying shrubs are a unique challenge but not on most landings so on balance I'll be glad to see the end of these shrubs as the amount of high explosives I had to use to clear a way to the ufo was, well lets say a lot. I'd used most of the mortar tank rounds just to clear the ramp and be able to clear room to less dense areas on the map. FMP v1.72- see picture.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2015, 07:44:49 am »

Which is a blessing in my eyes ;>