Author Topic: [WEAPON] [CRAFT] Tyran_nick's mods  (Read 52539 times)

Offline tyran_nick

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Tyran_nick's mods
« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2013, 04:37:38 pm »
It took me a while... but I finally got around updating all my mods for the new string localisation.
Also I changed the reload speed of craft mass cannon to the suggestions of Istrebitel
You will find all of them at:
https://openxcommods.weebly.com/downloads6.html

Let me know if there are any issues!

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: [WEAPON] [CRAFT] Tyran_nick's mods
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2014, 10:09:28 pm »
I decided to decrease Elerium Mace's power to 90. 250 is so much that you could as well give it 9999. :)

I understand you wanted a 100% efficient weapon, but that's kinda unfair to Mutons... :)

EDIT:
Weight 4? Seriously? I expected 10 at least!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 01:00:21 am by Solarius Scorch »

Offline 2xG

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Re: Tyran_nick's mods
« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2014, 03:51:11 am »
tyran_nick
Russian strings for Thunderstorm
Code: [Select]
  - type: ru
    strings:
      STR_THUNDERSTORM: ГРОЗА
      STR_THUNDERSTORM_INTERCEPTOR: Перехватчик \"Гроза\"
      STR_THUNDERSTORM_UFOPEDIA: \"ГРОЗА\" ИСПОЛЬЗУЕТ ПРОДВИНУТЫЕ ЗЕМНЫЕ ТЕХНОЛОГИИ СО СПЛАВАМИ ПРИШЕЛЬЦЕВ. СВЕРХПРОЧНЫЕ СПЛАВЫ ПРИШЕЛЬЦЕВ ЯВЛЯЮТСЯ ОСНОВОЙ ПРЯМОТОЧНОГО РЕАКТИВНОГО ДВИГАТЕЛЯ КОТОРЫЙ ПОЗВОЛЯЕТ \"ГРОЗЕ\" СРАВНИТЬСЯ ПО СКОРОСТИ С БОЛЬШИНСТВОМ НЛО, ДАВАЯ ВОЗМОЖНОСТЬ НАВЯЗАТЬ БОЙ. ВЕС И АЭРОДИНАМИЧЕСКИЕ ФАКТОРЫ ОГРАНИЧИВАЮТ КОЛИЧЕСТВО ОРУЖЕЙНЫХ ПОДВЕСОВ.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 04:45:41 am by 2xG »

Offline Hadan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2014, 02:18:10 pm »
Hello!

Used your Thunderstorm for some game-month now and I have some suggestions:
- increase the resource cost (maybe add ufo navigation)
- add some rent-cost (for fuel etc)
- maybe lower the speed a bit

As it is now, the thunder makes the firestorm obsolete:
- easy and early to produce
- no running costs
- high speed
- no e115 as fuel
- armed with a plasma-beam able to shoot down pretty much everything

It borders on cheating really  ;D

/edit:
did a quick edit on the .rul

greetz
Hadan
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 03:47:45 pm by Hadan »

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2014, 02:54:28 am »
Tyran, I tried to download and install your mod "Mass Accelerator Weapons" from mod site
There is inside a Rulesets folder that you should rename to Ruleset

Offline phobos2077

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2014, 08:29:50 am »
A have question about Mass Accelerator weapons. What purpose do they serve in the game? What damage type they use? If it's just the same plasma weapons but with more power, what's the point in them except making the game easier? How the aliens can counter-act this technology? Do they receive better weapons as well?

There is so many mods out here that make game easier, when they suppose to make it more interesting and diverse. This game is all about surviving against superior alien forces, they should keep XCOM in tense until the end :)

PS: I like the graphics of the weapons, hope they will eventually find their place in the game.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 08:33:11 am by phobos2077 »

Offline AlienMuncher

• Sergeant
  • Aliens happen...
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 22, 2014, 03:48:25 pm »
Let me just first congratulate tyran_nick on this mod! Great work!

I like the idea of making human equivalent of plasma weapons. My own thinking behind it, as probably shared by many, is that humans - although capable of comprehend aliens technology - due to lack of biological diversity among human races, are not able to implement Plasma Technology in field weapons in the same manner as aliens do. Thus it is required to invent weapon better suitable human physical characteristics, that are capable of delivering comparable punch to plasmas.

I've come across two mods already introducing diversity to plasma weapons.  Chico's New weapon graphics and Shadow's Terran Plasma Weapons. IMO Human's Plasma should place somewhere between Laser Weapons and Alien's Plasma. Mass Accelerator weapons in this scenario could've been crown jewel in human arsenal - lightweight, with better accuracy than Alien's Plasma and only marginally slightly less power.

I think that in this light tyran_nick's mod adds quite a lot to the game. Not only by making larger research tree (slower progression), but also adding diversity to human arsenal. As always devil is in the details, so some tweaking would be necessary to balance all weapons altogether. I love the idea nonetheless!

Further I think introduction of this mod with Terran Plasma Weapons would effectively balance the game by making aliens weapons totally useless. I'd love if ex. alien weapons could've been dissasembled in workshops into Allien Alloys and Ellerium, and on top of that, making any Human Plasma Weapon would require Alien Weapon equivalent (Human Plasma Rifle would require Alien Alloys, Ellerium and Alien Plasma Rifle) - with logic behind it that although size and shape of alien weapons makes their use by humans impossible, some of their components can be use to produce human's equivalent.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 22, 2014, 03:57:54 pm »
I like the idea of making human equivalent of plasma weapons. My own thinking behind it, as probably shared by many, is that humans - although capable of comprehend aliens technology - due to lack of biological diversity among human races, are not able to implement Plasma Technology in field weapons in the same manner as aliens do. Thus it is required to invent weapon better suitable human physical characteristics, that are capable of delivering comparable punch to plasmas.

I don't want to come out as conflictual, but I would like to object to this idea (not for the first time), because it doesn't hold water.
What is the requirement for operating a heavy plasma? Hands.
What are Sectoid's hand like? Human-like.
So no amount of "biodiversity" is required for operating basic alien equipment. If anything, alien diversity enforces them to use very streamlined and versatile designs, so that each alien race could use the same equipment, and therefore it's certainly fine for humans too.
There are other ideas for how to explain the fact that humans can't use alien weapons (because some mods make it impossible), but a sufficient one has never been found. The most obvious one is that alien weapons have some sort of a psionic lock, but then Mutons or Floaters have no psi capabilities. Besides, any safety measure can and will be broken over time.

Still, this is not related to the mod, which is indeed an impressive work. :)

Offline AlienMuncher

• Sergeant
  • Aliens happen...
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 22, 2014, 04:46:09 pm »
I don't want to come out as conflictual, but I would like to object to this idea (not for the first time), because it doesn't hold water.
What is the requirement for operating a heavy plasma? Hands.
What are Sectoid's hand like? Human-like.

You're not conflictual at all. I don't think actual explanation really matters (can be anything anyone finds reasonable enough). IMO in this case most important would be to restrict humans from using alien weapons (as you pointed out - reasons may vary :) ), for the sake of more diverse and fun gameplay.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2014, 04:48:49 pm »
You're not conflictual at all. I don't think actual explanation really matters (can be anything anyone finds reasonable enough). IMO in this case most important would be to restrict humans from using alien weapons (as you pointed out - reasons may vary :) ), for the sake of more diverse and fun gameplay.

Ah, no objections then. :)
It's just not my cup of tea, since I find the suspension of disbelief too strained...

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2014, 07:14:00 pm »
@Tyran : with your permission, I will use your mass accelerator weapons to equip MIB crews  :)
(I will integrate your stuff into my own mod, not in "official" MIB mod)

Offline tyran_nick

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2014, 10:02:12 pm »
Been away for a while..!
Thanks for the feedback and the comments.

I have revised a bit the various mods.

Following your comments: I have added UFO navigation as a requirement for Thunderstorm for research and manufacturing. This will also make it slower to research and build. I also reduced it's max health (to 250). In my opinion what makes Thunderstorm ok is that it carries less armament that other interceptors and it has less health than other researched interceptors (half that of firestorm). I also made a new UFOpedia image (attached). Added the russian translation - thanks 2xG!

Regarding the Mass Accelerator Weapons, they are more powerful than plasma, but they come at a considerable elerium cost. It gets quite difficult to balance elerium needs for both manufacturing clips and flying your interceptors - though I guess this really depends on playing styles. I actually find using plasmas to make the game easier, as I do not have to worry at all about manufacturing (resources and money) any clips. I also find it hard to accept that humans would not try to build some derivative technology from plasma guns or alien technology in general, they do build other cool stuff in xcom. I also did some minor fixes in this one as well and rearranged the listorders at the various menus.

These will be posted shortly at the mods site.
As always, feel free to use artwork or the whole mods for your creations.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 10:12:37 pm by tyran_nick »

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2014, 12:22:56 am »
Would love the update changes you made and yessss, I agree with the changes you made, just didn't know how to ask for them. Thanks for doing this for us Nick!

niculinux

« Reply #73 on: August 30, 2015, 11:40:50 pm »
@tyran_nick: should update the first post, because now each mod has a page on the mod portal: mass accellerated weapons, thunderstorm interceptor and firestorm. Very very nice mods!