Author Topic: [COMPLETED] Let's play X-PirateZ (182 episodes)  (Read 143980 times)

niculinux

Re: Let's play X-PirateZ [#27] New Shiny Armor
« Reply #285 on: January 13, 2016, 11:18:03 am »
[...]
In other news, another "Strange Message" appeared on few' Pirate Captains' main screens:
My dear challengers. I am lowering the Throwing skill cap to 90, effective 0.97C (there should be no possibility of a perfect grenade throw). If you don't stop spamming the throwing training exploit, I might consider lowering it further. Love and kisses- Well-Wisher.

Please, do it  :-[  :(

Offline Boltgun

• Colonel
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
    • Piratez let's play
Re: Let's play X-PirateZ [#27] New Shiny Armor
« Reply #286 on: January 13, 2016, 12:19:58 pm »
In other news, another "Strange Message" appeared on few' Pirate Captains' main screens:
My dear challengers. I am lowering the Throwing skill cap to 90, effective 0.97C (there should be no possibility of a perfect grenade throw). If you don't stop spamming the throwing training exploit, I might consider lowering it further. Love and kisses- Well-Wisher.

Good, I avoided abusing throwing so far because I love destroying the scenery. So a lower accuracy is fine by me.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
Re: Let's play X-PirateZ [#30] Blaster Launcher
« Reply #287 on: January 13, 2016, 05:00:55 pm »
I think that Meridian's new throwing training tweaks in his .exe branch will get rid of Throwing Training exploits. 
That said, I don't have any idea if these will make their way into the standard OXCE executable, or Dioxine's executable distributed with XPiratez.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Let's play X-PirateZ
« Reply #289 on: January 17, 2016, 10:27:36 pm »
GMGEO3 (funky geoscape music)
Pirate Manners by Holyyeah: https://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/503096

Just as heads-up, YouTube now thinks that this song is violating copyright, although it isn't.
Thanks YouTube... and thanks "copyright owner" called "Dream Crusher Media" (no I am not kidding, that's actually their name).

Episodes #32, #33 and #34 will have some strange sounds effects, missing sounds effects and weird music jumps as I cut the living heck out of the recorded tracks.

Offline Bloax

• Colonel
  • do you want to be any of those things
    • View Profile
Re: Let's play X-PirateZ [#31] Out of Ammo
« Reply #290 on: January 17, 2016, 11:31:10 pm »
Well it says so right in the description:
This one comes from my band Bossfight's latest album "Caps On, Hats Off". You can listen to the whole thing at Spotify, Soundcloud, Last.fm etc!

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: January 17, 2016, 11:32:34 pm »
It also says (on the left side):

Licensing terms:
You may not use this work for commercial purposes without making specific arrangements with the artist UNLESS your work is a web-based game or animation, in which case you may use this freely.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #292 on: January 18, 2016, 09:10:40 am »
YT doesn't verify anything, they don't have the resources to do so. They just take down anything reported, whether rightly or not.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: January 18, 2016, 10:30:49 am »
YT doesn't verify anything, they don't have the resources to do so. They just take down anything reported, whether rightly or not.

How can you even say that without checking first?

Of course they verify this (for at least 3 years now), immediately after upload and processing (or even during processing, if the video is in streamable format already).
You get a copyright notice within minutes after upload even when your video is still private and has 0 views.

PS: I don't work for Google, but I have 4 friends who work for Google Zurich and saying they don't have resources for this is like saying there is not enough water in the oceans.

PS2: they even have a new service (in beta stage) to remove the protected portion of the music from the video and keeping the other sounds and voices intact... I tried it yesterday and it works, it removed only the music from my video, kept the sounds and voice... but it was distorted a bit too much, so I deleted it completely and swapped the music myself. Btw. the removal of the music was almost instant (maybe 2 seconds?)... that also says how much frikkin resources they have.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
Re: Let's play X-PirateZ [#32] Plastasteel Ammo
« Reply #294 on: January 18, 2016, 10:38:06 am »
That's certainly not consistent with everything I've ever heard about it from various sources, otherwise I wouldn't be spreading such information. But I doin't really know from experience, I've only uploaded a video once and it was a university project.

But you said yourself that you were wrongly censored, no?

Offline Boltgun

• Colonel
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
    • Piratez let's play
« Reply #295 on: January 18, 2016, 10:40:05 am »
YT has an automated system based on samples provided by copyright owners.

Where it sucks however, are the copyright owners themselves. It is easy for a patent troll to claim copyright on anything and get some advertisement cash until YT reacts and take it down. And of course, it follows the trend to have the beaten up guy prove that his bruises are not properly shaped.

Music rights are nonsense for me anyway.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: January 18, 2016, 10:56:22 am »
That's certainly not consistent with everything I've ever heard about it from various sources, otherwise I wouldn't be spreading such information. But I doin't really know from experience, I've only uploaded a video once and it was a university project.

But you said yourself that you were wrongly censored, no?

Theoretically, I was flagged correctly... because the song is not completely free (and it is not possible to automatically check if I have the permission or not, probably because they don't keep all the license details with the song?). But the license says that for games and web-based animations it is OK... I mean wtf else is youtube than web-based animation... and it's even a game.

The correct way would be to file a dispute now... and make the publisher (Dream Crusher Media) approve it.
In theory...
In reality:
  1. they have 20 days to respond, and they always take those 20 days and respond on the last day... when most of the views are already there and wasted
  2. they are not checked by any 3rd-party... they can say yes or no as they like... I tried a couple of times, and they always said no... even if it was 120% clear...
 - the process is just too idiotic... it's like asking a murderer "did you murder the victim?" without investigating and believing what he says... would you say "yes" under such conditions?
 - for example, 2 years ago my heroes videos started being flagged... I tracked it down to a hip-hop artist, who just took 20 seconds of music from heroes 3 soundtrack and shamelessly copy-pasted it into his song... and then of course claimed copyright of the song (including the 20s bit of course)... I filed a dispute... provided links to the original songs (by Paul Romero) and what did the publisher say against overwhelming evidence? No... just "no"... this is our music, f*ck off. I had to cut some parts out from the Heroes 3 soundtrack, so that I don't get flagged constantly.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: January 18, 2016, 11:13:54 am »
Which is exactly what I meant, Meridian. :) As I said, YT doesn't verify credibility of complaint.

But nevermind. How about using another service?

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #298 on: January 18, 2016, 11:26:28 am »
- for example, 2 years ago my heroes videos started being flagged... I tracked it down to a hip-hop artist, who just took 20 seconds of music from heroes 3 soundtrack and shamelessly copy-pasted it into his song... and then of course claimed copyright of the song (including the 20s bit of course)... I filed a dispute... provided links to the original songs (by Paul Romero) and what did the publisher say against overwhelming evidence? No... just "no"... this is our music, f*ck off. I had to cut some parts out from the Heroes 3 soundtrack, so that I don't get flagged constantly.

This is a common practice, yes - I stumbled upon some other type who was flagging IK+ soundtrack by Ron Hubbard as their own. Hard to put all the blame on a petty as*hole, guys like him are just following the example of the biggest fishes, and exploiting the unfair system.
It's obvious Google has no resources to check the claims manually, no matter how big and rich they are (and not that big actually... their stock value is in $500 billion range, but all their assets are worth maybe 5% of that, if not less), they cannot possibly have enough employees to do that, even if they employed Indians en-masse (I won't say Indians are bad workers in general, but there's a saying in Poland, "like pay, like job" - cheap labour works poorly). That's why they have this automated system. Just another example of how foolish the current form of copyright laws is in the age of internet (I won't say "outdated" laws because 1980s intellectual copyright rights were less harsh than todays').

Another thought, maybe that's why your Christmas song got garbled - the automated system processes all uploads nowadays, so maybe it decided the song is copyrighted and garbled it on purpose - because if it's garbled, it's not a violation. Or maybe it was just a bug, there's no such thing as software without bugs.

EDIT: Tinfoil hat mode: activated. The real fun will start if/when the current IT stock bubble bursts and Google gets bought by, say, Sony Entertainment, or gets partially nationalized by the US govt (like General Motors was). If you have any rare gems faved on YT, better DL them and burn them onto DVD-Rs while you still can :)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 11:38:18 am by Dioxine »

Offline Cristao

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: January 18, 2016, 12:39:30 pm »
Nice video. It is a pity that Crystal is still wounded.  :(