aliens

Author Topic: [MAPS] New Terror Mission Map Blocks  (Read 116506 times)

Offline Drumsk

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Re: [MAPS] New Terror Mission Map Blocks
« Reply #135 on: January 17, 2015, 11:14:59 am »
what do you mean by clearing? if starting new game - it was done; if to delete content of the directory - then there are other rules too, so what to delete then... could you clarify on that?

Clear your rulesets folder before update.

Offline volutar

• Colonel
  • Vanilla digger & Quality assistant
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 17, 2015, 11:29:59 am »
Remove contents from rulesets folder. Then extract nightly. There are all necessary rulesets already. If that won't help - remove options.cfg. Yes you'll have to setup all options again. And mods, if any.  It's the price of splitting rulesets without proper migration mechanism.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 11:31:39 am by volutar »

Offline Drumsk

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 17, 2015, 01:23:31 pm »
well, have tested 01-12, 01-10 and 01-03 nightly builds with only TerrorSites mod (previous options.cfg were always deleted) - all of them CRASH game and would advice everyone for now to restrain from using (this years) nightly builds with TerrorSites.
Wonder, if BattleSprites would crash recovery missions too  8)

Strange, that log file doesn't provide any useful info on crash position/reason/details for further debugging  >:(

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 17, 2015, 03:11:07 pm »
well, have tested 01-12, 01-10 and 01-03 nightly builds with only TerrorSites mod (previous options.cfg were always deleted) - all of them CRASH game and would advice everyone for now to restrain from using (this years) nightly builds with TerrorSites.
Wonder, if BattleSprites would crash recovery missions too  8)

Strange, that log file doesn't provide any useful info on crash position/reason/details for further debugging  >:(

The ruleset of this mod needs to be updated to the latest nightly, otherwise it will always crash on Terror Sites if played on the nightly.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #139 on: January 17, 2015, 03:51:25 pm »
The ruleset of this mod needs to be updated to the latest nightly, otherwise it will always crash on Terror Sites if played on the nightly.

@Hobbes: I've seen you mention this a few times.... What exactly needs to be updated in these rulesets that breaks?  (I've probably seen in a thread, but forgotten it.)  Maybe Create a thread with the fix clearly stated, so modders can update their rulesets?

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 17, 2015, 04:05:00 pm »
@Hobbes: I've seen you mention this a few times.... What exactly needs to be updated in these rulesets that breaks?  (I've probably seen in a thread, but forgotten it.)  Maybe Create a thread with the fix clearly stated, so modders can update their rulesets?

On the latest nightlies the terrain generation rules were moved from the terrains section of the ruleset to a separate mapScripts section, to both avoid unnecessary repetition and to allow more specialized terrain rules.

Before you had:

Code: [Select]
terrains:
  - name: CULTA
    mapDataSets:
      - BLANKS
      - CULTIVAT
      - BARN
    textures: [1, 2, 3, 4]
    mapBlocks:
      - name: CULTA00
        width: 10
        length: 10
        type: 1
        subType: 0
        maxCount: 3

But on the nightlies the format has been changed to:

terrains:
  - name: CULTA
    script: FARM
    mapDataSets:
      - BLANKS
      - CULTIVAT
      - BARN
    textures: [1, 2, 3, 4]
    mapBlocks:
      - name: CULTA00
        width: 10
        length: 10
        groups: 1
(...)
mapScripts:
  - type: FARM
    commands:
    - type: addUFO
    - type: addCraft
    - type: fillArea
      blocks: [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18]
      maxUses: [3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3]

The reason for the crashes with the nightly is that the engine fails to find the Farm mapScript on outdated mods, and thus it is unable to generate the terrain.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 04:10:46 pm by Hobbes »

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 21, 2015, 08:58:08 am »
i'll update these in due time, but if i recall, these maps have been mostly integrated into Hobbes' terrain pack (please correct me if i'm wrong)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 21, 2015, 05:38:22 pm »
i'll update these in due time, but if i recall, these maps have been mostly integrated into Hobbes' terrain pack (please correct me if i'm wrong)

They're not on the Terrain Pack because this terrain has a lot of issues: sewers never got implemented (and they would prolong missions in finding the last alien); explosions can create craters and get units stuck; and some maps are very TFTD like in design (i.e. too complicated with a lot of rooms to search for the last alien).

Previously it was a major pain to covert them by removing the lower levels, since I'd have to redesign the entire route nodes, due to MapView issues when deleting levels (although MapView issues just got recently solved by an upgrade to it).

Terrains should simply be designed with the 50x50x4 original dimensions in mind, to prevent missions from dragging too long, with exceptions possible but they need to be justified (i.e. my Dawn City terrain is 6 levels height but all the buildings are designed so that the floor of each building actually consists of 2 levels), and avoiding TFTD's mistakes of a lot of compartments.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 05:50:52 pm by Hobbes »

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 21, 2015, 08:42:43 pm »
ah, my mistake.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #144 on: January 25, 2015, 02:39:19 pm »
And if I want to take a city terrain (any of them) and assign it for normal UFO missions under one map texture, what should I do besides adding the addUFO to the scripts? Because when I do this, the map starts fine, but the UFO is not spawned. I assume I should add something to the groups, but what? I can't find any guide on this.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 25, 2015, 04:37:46 pm »
And if I want to take a city terrain (any of them) and assign it for normal UFO missions under one map texture, what should I do besides adding the addUFO to the scripts? Because when I do this, the map starts fine, but the UFO is not spawned. I assume I should add something to the groups, but what? I can't find any guide on this.

What nightly are you using?

With nightly built 2015-01-18 03:22, you need to create 2 sets of a terrains plus script, one sets for the Terror Site, the other for the UFO.

terrains:
  - name: NATIVEURBAN
    mapDataSets:
    script: NATIVEURBAN
    civilianTypes:
    mapBlocks:
  - name: NATIVEUFO
    mapDataSets:
    textures: [4]
    hemisphere: 1
    script: NATIVEUFO
    mapBlocks:
mapScripts:
  - type: NATIVEURBAN
    commands:
    - type: addBlock
  - type: NATIVEUFO
    commands:
    - type: addUFO
    - type: addBlock

Later it will be unnecessary to have 2 scripts but I don't know if Warboy has fixed the issue that was preventing this.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 04:50:21 pm by Hobbes »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 25, 2015, 05:06:59 pm »
Yeah, Falko helped me with this. Turned out it was the fault of the basic urban map (for the terror), which had a global texture assigned and therefore was hijacking the role. It works now.

On a different note Hobbes, I know this mod is supposed to be closed, but I made a few new houses - interested? :)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 25, 2015, 05:13:15 pm »
On a different note Hobbes, I know this mod is supposed to be closed, but I made a few new houses - interested? :)

Can you post pics of both maps? Easier for me than to be adding them to MapView.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 25, 2015, 05:32:14 pm »
Can you post pics of both maps? Easier for me than to be adding them to MapView.

Sure. Right now I have two:

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 25, 2015, 05:41:46 pm »
You're using the wrong wall corner tile on the grey building.

At the moment I'm focusing on the expansion but if I ever add this terrain to the Terrain Pack I'll include these maps.