aliens

Author Topic: [WIP] Chiko's Alternate Xcom  (Read 145508 times)

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
Re: New weapon graphics
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2012, 02:47:00 pm »
I love those new weapon sprites, but they suffer from the old problem: copyright issues. you cannot just use proprietary images (from the original x-com game, that is) and re-distribute them without express consent from the copyright holder. yes, heavily-modified images do count into that.

if, however, you find some kind of modular system which takes parts of images designed entirely by you and allows for an in-game-generation of hybrid items (say, the installer for openxcom takes the images from the (legally bought and installed) original game and fuses them with your parts, that's ok, because the installation package does not contain the original images or any of their parts.

complicated? yes.
stupid? yes, because the original game is ages-old.
relevant? yes, because the copyright-holders are still making money out of the original game! they will furiously pursue anyone who tries to redistribute any part of it. especially if it's for free. open-source? communism! well, you get the idea.

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2012, 06:22:09 pm »
I think it's a bit off-topic to discuss copyright issues here. We are not distributing copyrighted graphics here, Chiko is just showing how variations of existing weapons would look graphically.

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2012, 08:09:56 pm »
I think it's a bit off-topic to discuss copyright issues here. We are not distributing copyrighted graphics here, Chiko is just showing how variations of existing weapons would look graphically.

*kkmic is thinking about SOPA/PIPA/ACTA *

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2012, 08:34:03 pm »
I am sorry if that appears a bit off-topic or harsh. I wasn't trying to smother a brilliant idea, I just wanted to point out that while it really is cool and I really like it, it appears that Chiko is putting a lot of energy into creating those weapon and ammo sprites - although they won't be able to be used. better to point that out sooner than later, I thought.

Like I said, if you make those designs generator-friendly, it will never be a problem. that is something worth thinking about for further designing, isn't it?

and to be more on-topic, I always thought that the Heavy Weapon line for Human soldiers should at least include some kind of bipod or tripod. come to think of it, you should be able to "set them up",  greatly increasing accuracy at the cost of rendering your soldier immobile until he either spends time units folding it - or abandons the weapon. There's something that could also be upgraded once "alien alloys" are researched: weapons get lighter, so you have more energy left for actions.

I still think that the upgrades only stay manageable if you make them global. Once you research alien alloys, additional research topics open up, where perhaps you can opt to make weapons either stronger or lighter, but always affecting all your human weapons. Else this will turn into an RPG-style management for weapons, and I don't think that goes well with this game.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2012, 09:46:51 pm »
I am sorry if that appears a bit off-topic or harsh. I wasn't trying to smother a brilliant idea, I just wanted to point out that while it really is cool and I really like it, it appears that Chiko is putting a lot of energy into creating those weapon and ammo sprites - although they won't be able to be used. better to point that out sooner than later, I thought.
why not? what is this different to any other mod? did you see Quake HD? HD mods for GTA, Skyrim, Oblivion. They created new graphic based on original one and need original game to run. We cant use it if we want standalone OpenXcom but right now OX need original data.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2012, 10:25:00 pm »
https://ufotts.ninex.info/

great-looking take on this, was discontinued for exactly these reasons

there is a difference between making a mod and making a game. openxcom is a full game, completely playable and all, and cannot include any graphics that come from another proprietary game in any other way than what it does: accessing the graphics from an existing installation. or then using some kind of processing routine to change them. no original game graphics or graphics that recreate the original look and feel may ever be included in anything downloadable.

even without SOPA.

Offline Chiko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2012, 11:50:31 pm »
Well, the stuff I'm making are for mods. Like the HWPs suggestions thread I made. I have no idea if I'm going to be able to mod the files in OpenXcom myself so I'm posting the ideas and stuff I have in mind.

Offline NineX

• Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2012, 12:56:55 am »
https://ufotts.ninex.info/

great-looking take on this, was discontinued for exactly these reasons

there is a difference between making a mod and making a game. openxcom is a full game, completely playable and all, and cannot include any graphics that come from another proprietary game in any other way than what it does: accessing the graphics from an existing installation. or then using some kind of processing routine to change them. no original game graphics or graphics that recreate the original look and feel may ever be included in anything downloadable.

even without SOPA.

not exactly.
Part truth is: Neffuri canceled project due lack of time. he found commercial job, he won't open tts source cause it is written badly. Neffu afraid that owner of x-com trademark will lawsuit him, or something.

Highly unlikely scenario (there are more remakes like ufo2000)
also we have freeciv witch is an opensource remake of Civilization....

Neffu is a coward and poor liar. Source code of tts are badly programed and he ashamed to make it public.
That's the truth.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 12:59:48 am by NineX »

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2012, 07:36:32 am »
Hey Chicko,
 Any chance of some graphics for a alien proximity grenade/mine. I wish to do a Alien MINE LAYER for there base defences  but im still playing with ideas ( plus i need to finish all my HUMAN first  ::)).

Offline Chiko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2012, 08:02:33 am »
Sure thing. I'm not doing anything productive tomorrow morning so I'll work on it.

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2012, 08:05:32 am »
"sure thing. I'm not doing anything productive tomorrow morning so I'll work on it. "
Cool.
Tomorrow is Australia Day ( It is a public Holiday ) so my boss gave us friday off as well , That means i can stay up late every night and work on  my sprites after the kids go to bed  :P

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2012, 08:51:57 am »
Well, the stuff I'm making are for mods. Like the HWPs suggestions thread I made. I have no idea if I'm going to be able to mod the files in OpenXcom myself so I'm posting the ideas and stuff I have in mind.

oh, okay. I was kind of under the impression that it was for an official (post-v1) version of openxcom. once again, I totally appreciate that stuff, I am just being very cautious about using original graphics in a world where things like SOPA are even being considered. (and just to be cautious again: I don't know how 2k/Firaxis think about these kind of things, but the "mod" argument really becomes invalid when the mod you are doing is not for one of their games. look at it like this: you are taking graphics from one of their games (xcom) and using it to create a mod for a different game (openxcom).

Offline Chiko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2012, 04:07:28 pm »
Aww yeah! This has its own thread now. Main post updated. ;D

Edit: Not much of a difference but since they are of Alien design, I couldn't use the similar look of the human Proximity Greanade.

Alien Explosives
Alien Grenade / Alien Proximity Grenade

only one word, Awesome :D
one small fix I think, you can made ammo clip same size in weapon like stand alone clip. It would be better if every thing is same scale.

Different property should be based on handicaps, you cant use properly alien version because your hand dont fit it.
I'll see what I can do about that. I think it's going to be a bit difficult, probably making some weapons taking up more inventory space. Also, most ammo isn't the same size of the ones on the weapons in the original game. :P

oh, okay. I was kind of under the impression that it was for an official (post-v1) version of openxcom. once again, I totally appreciate that stuff, I am just being very cautious about using original graphics in a world where things like SOPA are even being considered. (and just to be cautious again: I don't know how 2k/Firaxis think about these kind of things, but the "mod" argument really becomes invalid when the mod you are doing is not for one of their games. look at it like this: you are taking graphics from one of their games (xcom) and using it to create a mod for a different game (openxcom).
I know what you mean. Well, lets hope Firaxis is not like that. There are a lot of mods for games using images, music and ideas taken from other games and have been around for years. :P
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 10:26:28 pm by Chiko »

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2012, 06:25:56 am »
Looks fine to me , just wanted a different graphic than the humans  :P

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2012, 11:42:09 am »
could you also make a stun grenade, using the Stun Bomb with some kind of handle/fuse from the human grenade?

@Yankes: about the alien weapons not fitting the human hand: I don't know about that, the different alien races already have hands so different from each other, probably the weapons already have some kind of compensation for that (moldable grips?). Look at the hands: