aliens

Author Topic: can chrysalid drawing routine 7 hold weapons?  (Read 3275 times)

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
can chrysalid drawing routine 7 hold weapons?
« on: August 09, 2015, 03:35:05 am »
chyssalid drawing routine (number 7) has the least amount of frames and still has a full body with walking cycle turning and can hold weapons.

but can it hold weapons?

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: can chrysalid drawing routine 7 hold weapons?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 03:37:59 am »
The weapon will be drawn in the proper place, just his "hands" won't connect with it :) Naturally you need to set his LivingWeapon setting to false to enable him using normal weapons.

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 03:58:38 am »
thanks dioxine.

i only asked because i am trying to make new  aliens and i wanted to make my life the easiest by picking most easy to use drawing routine.

alright.

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 04:37:25 am »
 actually i was looking at floater and i think floater drawing routine 1 must be the absolute simplest one for an alien with complete walking cycle turning and ability to hold weapons.

#1 has a 5 full body frame  walking cycle for each of the 8 directions (n nw w sw s se e ne) . and has separate hands to hold objects . seems it has 6 x 8 = 48 frames for hands. i assume 8 are for not holding anything, 8 are for holding something and 8 are for attacking . twice that is 2 x 8 x 8 x 8 = 2 x 24 = 48.

if you compare that to chryssalid first chryssalid doesn't seem to have 3 state hand but only 2 state (attack/hold and at rest) and has 8 frames half body (torso split from legs) for each of the 8 directions (n nw w sw s se e ne). that's about twice the amount of frames and doesn't even have proper holding anim.

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 05:03:01 am »
ok so chryssalid has way more hand animation to do the hand waving while moving meanwhile floater doesn't animate it's hands when it moves .

muton is the most complete drawing routine for a full body walking type. damn
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 08:07:47 am by tollworkout »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 07:43:48 am »
actually i was looking at floater and i think floater drawing routine 1 must be the absolute simplest one for an alien with complete walking cycle turning and ability to hold weapons.

#1 has a 5 full body frame  walking cycle for each of the 8 directions (n nw w sw s se e ne) . and has separate hands to hold objects . seems it has 6 x 8 = 48 frames for hands. i assume 8 are for not holding anything, 8 are for holding something and 8 are for attacking . twice that is 2 x 8 x 8 x 8 = 2 x 24 = 48.

Bit more complex.
8x2 for not holding anything, 8 for left arm wielding (any weapon), 8x2 for right arm wielding (1-handed wielding & 2-handed wielding), 8 for right arm firing 2-handed weapon.
Same goes for snakeman, as well as Muton (Muton is using the same routine as human).

Reference for human/muton/sectoid:
xcom_0232 - xcom_0239 right arm (one-handed weapon)
xcom_0240 - xcom_0247 left arm (any weapon)
xcom_0248 - xcom_0255 right arm (two-handed weapon)
xcom_0256 - xcom_0263 right arm (firing weapon)

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2015, 08:09:55 am »
i see.. thank you dioxine.

i'm trying to figure out this animation routine crap so i can make some new art sprites

i think floater can dual wield. he's just missing the 8 frame animation per arm per direction making him appear to float/fly.