aliens

Author Topic: what's the deal with tentaculat drawing routine?  (Read 2612 times)

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
what's the deal with tentaculat drawing routine?
« on: August 09, 2015, 06:44:26 am »
tentaculat has no animation and only has 8 sprites for each direction however the sprite sheet has a bunch of blank spaces and in fact has 8 animation frames for each direction but they are all the same just first frame copied over 8 times.

is tentaculat able to animate when walking in each direction? lets say if i were to move each frame up and down to simulate floating
or is it able to continually animate 8 frames when facing a certain direction like a little 1 unit xarquid?

was it supposed to have more animation and was unfinished?

anyone knows?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 06:48:43 am by tollworkout »

Offline AndO3131

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: what's the deal with tentaculat drawing routine?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 09:02:24 am »
Code for walking tentaculats: https://github.com/SupSuper/OpenXcom/blob/master/src/Battlescape/UnitSprite.cpp#L1393

Only one frame per direction is used, so he isn't able to animate when moving. If you really want for it to animate on move, you would have to choose different drawing routine and fill missing frames.

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 07:14:07 pm »
thanks im looking at the other code. seems pretty straightforward.

i actually wanted a small  1  unit xarquid that has direction and continous animation for each direction.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 07:23:00 pm by tollworkout »

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 07:21:27 pm »
i think it may be possible to  use xarquid drawing routine to create a directional continually animated unit that is only 1 tile by using the animations in the first tile only .i think it might work. because ive seen that biodrone and hallucinoid share drawing routine 12/16