Author Topic: Additional door in Skyranger  (Read 6943 times)

Offline Mixos

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Additional door in Skyranger
« on: July 23, 2015, 08:21:17 am »
Hello everyone!
I loved this game since I saw it for the first time on MS DOS :)
Can someone help me?
I tried to make additional door in Skyranger, but faced with problem: with openxcom map editor i make a hole in Skyranger's hull, but create a ladder is impossible for me (i can't add ladder from other images).
Maybe this mod already exists or someone did something like this for yourself?

Thanks a lot!

P.S.: Sorry for my bad english.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: Additional door in Skyranger
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 04:57:58 pm »
I have a mod with an improved skyranger that has side doors, but unfortunately it does not have ladders. Creating and editing maps is not something I can do but I know Hobbes has a ladder in some of his maps, that work like the grav-lifts in UFOs. It should be possible to grab it from there and use it (if it has the correct orientation).

I've attached my craft mod, any ways and with a bit of help from Hobbes you can get a ladder in there too!

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 05:19:01 pm »
I am not 100% sure, but I think the map file format does not let you define a tile which is both a deployment area and a lift. This means when you design a ship, whatever you do, the soldiers will still have to take at least one step before they can "beam down".

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 05:33:05 pm »
I am not 100% sure, but I think the map file format does not let you define a tile which is both a deployment area and a lift. This means when you design a ship, whatever you do, the soldiers will still have to take at least one step before they can "beam down".

Have you actually tried this?

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 06:01:38 pm »
It would be interesting to see if you can overwrite this by defining deployments in the ruleset too.

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 08:19:05 pm »
Have you actually tried this?
No, it's from reading threads here that I thought there was this limitation. After a bit of search in the sources, they look compatible ("gravLift" is a dedicated flag, "start area" is one of the possible values for SpecialType).
In vanilla Alien base, the 2x2 lifts are the only parts of the starting area where your units will be MIA if you abort the mission. I guess this would be solved if there were 2 gravlift tiles in the MCD, one type used in the starting areas, and one used for every other lift of the base.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 08:19:26 pm »
It would be interesting to see if you can overwrite this by defining deployments in the ruleset too.

Like this?

Code: [Select]
  - type: STR_LIGHTNING
    deployment:
      - [10, 5, 1, 2]
      - [10, 6, 1, 2]
      - [10, 4, 1, 2]
      - [9, 7, 1, 2]
      - [9, 3, 1, 2]
      - [8, 7, 1, 2]
      - [8, 3, 1, 2]
      - [7, 7, 1, 2]
      - [7, 3, 1, 2]
      - [6, 6, 1, 2]
      - [6, 4, 1, 2]
      - [6, 5, 1, 2]

No, it's from reading threads here that I thought there was this limitation. After a bit of search in the sources, they look compatible ("gravLift" is a dedicated flag, "start area" is one of the possible values for SpecialType).
In vanilla Alien base, the 2x2 lifts are the only parts of the starting area where your units will be MIA if you abort the mission. I guess this would be solved if there were 2 gravlift tiles in the MCD, one type used in the starting areas, and one used for every other lift of the base.

Yeah, from my knowledge there's nothing that prevents defining a tile both as a lift and a start area, but IIRC you don't actually need to set the tile as '1' (start area) as long as you define spawn nodes for XCom units on the route file. I can be wrong about this though.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 08:24:35 pm by Hobbes »

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 09:00:30 pm »
Like this?

Code: [Select]
  - type: STR_LIGHTNING
    deployment:
      - [10, 5, 1, 2]
      - [10, 6, 1, 2]
      - [10, 4, 1, 2]
      - [9, 7, 1, 2]
      - [9, 3, 1, 2]
      - [8, 7, 1, 2]
      - [8, 3, 1, 2]
      - [7, 7, 1, 2]
      - [7, 3, 1, 2]
      - [6, 6, 1, 2]
      - [6, 4, 1, 2]
      - [6, 5, 1, 2]

Yup, using that to put soldiers onto the lift at the beginning. But that doesn't help with the recovery side of things as the units would still be MIA on lifts unless they are flagged as starting areas.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 02:27:52 pm »
The actual problem with a ladder (that functions like a lift) is that it'd require placing a special floor tile at the bottom. Which is a problem for Skyranger, because it would replace the normal, terrain-related floor tile that's supposed to be there (for example grass or snow).

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 12:13:32 pm »
The actual problem with a ladder (that functions like a lift) is that it'd require placing a special floor tile at the bottom. Which is a problem for Skyranger, because it would replace the normal, terrain-related floor tile that's supposed to be there (for example grass or snow).

perhaps make that floor tile (and several others, for obfuscation) some kind of burned/scorched ground? the Skyranger is a VTOL craft after all, you'd expect some scorchmarks underneath...

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 12:57:52 pm »
perhaps make that floor tile (and several others, for obfuscation) some kind of burned/scorched ground? the Skyranger is a VTOL craft after all, you'd expect some scorchmarks underneath...

Honestly, I don't think it'd look good. Why only one burned tile, and always right under the ladder of all places? Nuclear Ladder jokes incoming. :)

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 03:15:25 pm »

;)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2015, 04:56:24 pm »
;)

Yes yes, I know - sorry, was writing from work. :P Anyway, I meant I don't have a concept of a pattern that would look believable. But hey, I'm not saying it's impossible. :)

niculinux

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2015, 11:22:45 am »
Hello everyone!
I loved this game since I saw it for the first time on MS DOS :)
Can someone help me?
I tried to make additional door in Skyranger, but faced with problem: with openxcom map editor i make a hole in Skyranger's hull, but create a ladder is impossible for me (i can't add ladder from other images).
Maybe this mod already exists or someone did something like this for yourself?

Thanks a lot!

P.S.: Sorry for my bad english.

Maybe the new skyranger mod does it, i suppose,but it's not updated for nightlies :,(