Author Topic: Hovering Avenger  (Read 24874 times)

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Hovering Avenger
« on: May 23, 2015, 09:53:49 pm »
I noticed an odd behavior, just after shooting down an ufo. Normally, the Avenger shoots one down, and immediately the question window pops up, if you want to land there, or not. (Of course not with an empty Avenger.) But for 1-2 weeks now, it happens randomly, that this question is not asked, but the Avenger seems to patrol over the crash site. It's not automatically returning, nor is it trying to go to a waypoint. It simply doesn't seem to be able to land. Only when sending it again to that crash site (even if it already is there), the question window is shown. Can somebody confirm that?

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: Hovering Avenger
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 10:31:15 pm »
Yup, I've had the same issue. Craft shoots down a UFO and hangs out on top of the crash site. If you click the craft, it will say that it is targetting the site even though it is making no progress getting there. As soon as you assign the crash site as a new target, you get the popup.

By opposition, if the UFO was downed by interceptors and you make it afterwards, the craft works fine.

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 10:54:51 pm »
As I never use the lightning, I have no idea if this is only an Avenger-related issue. Does anybody have that with Lightnings as well?

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 11:45:13 pm »
I am actually experiencing that with the Piratez crafts. I would expect it happens with all fighter-transports

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 11:46:23 pm »
I would expect it happens with all fighter-transports
I believe so, too.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 11:53:28 pm »
It may not be related but have you checked Warboy's comment in one of the latest nightlies?

don't put rulesets in the common folder. ever.
it causes the primary master to get indexed.
that's bad.

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 11:56:23 pm »
Well, as I don't have changed anything (as a matter of fact, I just even copied one mod into the mod-folder but never activated it), I don't think, there should be any ruleset-files where they don't belong. Except, if they are moved somewhere by the make install command.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015, 01:18:57 am »
It may not be related but have you checked Warboy's comment in one of the latest nightlies?
Since I am running Piratez, I am using an older version of OpenXCom. April 28th or something.. The problem is there, but I don't know if it has been solved or not.

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 01:38:48 am »
My Nightly is about 2 days old, so apparently not. But I can try to compile again, if there there is a change to be expected.

Offline Alex_D

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2015, 03:28:27 am »
I noticed as well, with several mods, several nighties ago. Multiple craft that downed an usually large UFO, hover at the UFO crash site until they run out of fuel. I have to manually select each of them the order of return to base. These affected craft can be just interceptors, not necessarily troop carriers.

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2015, 03:30:27 am »
The size of the ufo doesn't seem to matter at my end. Even with medium scouts I experience this problem.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2015, 03:36:15 am »
I just had a sort of opposite: I attacked a UFO with 3 crafts. My transport asked to deploy and I said no (no night time mission if I can avoid it, thanks!). Then it went back to base but the two fighter crafts I had didn't, they just hovered on top of the crash site..

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
  • Back in the day it was gameplay not a feature....
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2015, 05:18:22 pm »
The "problem" is occuring mainly if you have a multiple interception and usually a transporter/fighter transporter is in there. I havent faced on single interceptors. And I think it happens on vanilla as well.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2015, 05:53:36 pm »
It's odd how it says that it is targeting the crash site, but doesn't do anything. It's like the code checks what to do for 1 craft when the target crashes, then forgets to deal with the others so they just hang out there. Is that possible?

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2015, 06:12:06 pm »
I also have this with just one Avenger craft. No others are in the air, yet it simply refuses to land, without sending it to the wreck a second time.