Author Topic: Hovering Avenger  (Read 24580 times)

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Hovering Avenger
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2015, 11:56:33 pm »
Well, it's a few months later, now, I already reported that bug, but even with current nightly (downloaded a few minutes ago) the problem of hovering Avengers seems to be still an issue. Any hope, that it might be fixed any time soon? I saved you a game, just after the problem occured. Sent an Avenger to intercept an ufo, shot it down and then – nothing happens, at all. It just hovers above the wreckage. (Uses a few mods, tough but the problem also occurs without any mods.) The reported bug is this one.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 11:58:05 pm by 7Saturn »

Offline doctor medic

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2015, 04:12:55 pm »
I think the reason why the avenger doesnt land sometimes might have to do with the fact that the game might confuse that craft as a interceptor and not as a landing craft

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2015, 04:19:47 pm »
But then they would return from the crashsite immediately after reaching it. They don't...

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2015, 07:56:14 pm »
Even interceptors occasionally hover over UFOs that they just shot down. I'm not sure what the issue is, and it is not saveable as far as I can tell..

I tried to save it, and when I did, the game loads the crafts with their targets, which they immediately reach and then update the trajectory so interceptors return and avengers land.

As far as I have experienced, the confusion only occurs while playing, upon shooting down a UFO. Sometimes the game seems to not update all crafts, so some still are trying to intercept the crash site. If you click the craft and assign them again, it works. If you click and hit cancel, they remain in this weird state.

Offline Neo23

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2015, 08:50:11 pm »
I can confirm this bug and I reported it a while ago also:
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,3682.0.html
...but no response yet.

Offline doctor medic

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2015, 09:05:37 pm »
does it have to do with the 30 minute detection rate?

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2015, 09:18:51 pm »
I suspect it's something that got broken with above ground missions/interceptions related to TftD. The timing would be about right. We've had 30 minutes interception windows since a long time ago, but this bug is relatively new.

Offline doctor medic

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2015, 08:11:20 am »
I believe that if the ufo is about accelerate to run away from the ship and you decide to down it now the intercepter would stay still next to downed ufo.Atleast that what happened in xpiratez,but i dont think interception is changed that much

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2015, 08:14:15 am »
Just saw an example of this in Meridian's LP at 30:30. His crafts hover and he needs to select them (you quickly see that the target is still the crash site, despite them being interceptors) and send them home manually.

I just added it to the bug tracked, can't hurt.. We'll see if something happens

For reference, what version of OpenXCom are you guys using when seeing the issue? It would be good to be able to get the nightly versions.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 08:22:16 am by Arthanor »

Offline doctor medic

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2015, 10:52:24 am »
Just saw an example of this in Meridian's LP at 30:30. His crafts hover and he needs to select them (you quickly see that the target is still the crash site, despite them being interceptors) and send them home manually.

I just added it to the bug tracked, can't hurt.. We'll see if something happens

For reference, what version of OpenXCom are you guys using when seeing the issue? It would be good to be able to get the nightly versions.
Im using extented with xpiratez which i believe doesnt use the latest nightly,im not sure

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2015, 11:03:05 am »
THIS is why you need to post bugs on the tracker.

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2015, 11:52:24 am »
Already done. By two people independently.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2015, 01:13:03 pm »
perhaps, but today was the first time i read this thread.

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2015, 01:26:37 pm »
Does it help?  ;D

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2015, 03:52:44 pm »
Did you also link to the post in your report from the bug tracker 7Saturn? I did, that might be the difference? To be fair, even when looking for the post it took me a while as I expected this would be in Troubleshooting, not in Development.

As for it helping.. I don't know. My report is now marked as "Not a bug" and my understanding of it is that until we can duplicate it, it won't be looked at (too much other stuff to do?). I was sort of thinking that would happen, since we don't know how to make the bug happen, but hoping that seeing it in Meridian's LP would be enough proof that it would be considered a bug under investigation, rather than "Not a bug".

I guess the conclusion is: Pay attention to your interceptions, if it happens, log everything that happened before and let's build up some proof.