aliens

Author Topic: Version 1.0  (Read 6306 times)

Offline Zandman64

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Version 1.0
« on: May 12, 2015, 11:15:07 pm »
Hello All!

Ok, so I LOVE the sound of version 1 and the new method of mod install however......I have uninstalled Open Xcom twice now and re-installed and I still have a "Data" folder and No /UFO folder to install mods to.

This means I can';t seem to get any of the mods working that I was was really getting into before ( well any mods at all really! ).

Could some one tel me where I'm going wrong please?

I've downloaded the Windows 32 bit version, I am still running Vista on this machine ( please don't hate me ;0) ). The game itself works fine but no shiny mods :(

Please help

Zandman

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Version 1.0
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 01:23:48 am »
Did you put the mods in the mod folder? You know, where your saves are?

Offline myk002

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 01:25:18 am »
keep in mind that the new organization is only for the nightly version.  Version 1.0 has the old organization

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
  • Back in the day it was gameplay not a feature....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 01:54:59 am »
Hello All!

Ok, so I LOVE the sound of version 1 and the new method of mod install however......I have uninstalled Open Xcom twice now and re-installed and I still have a "Data" folder and No /UFO folder to install mods to.

This means I can';t seem to get any of the mods working that I was was really getting into before ( well any mods at all really! ).

Could some one tel me where I'm going wrong please?

I've downloaded the Windows 32 bit version, I am still running Vista on this machine ( please don't hate me ;0) ). The game itself works fine but no shiny mods :(

Please help

Zandman

Its the same problem I had posted about in the thread about the new version. Uninstall your current instalation. Then do a search with key words Openxcom (just to be sure) or go directly to your documents and find the file. If you want your saves they are here move them to another file. Delete this file. Install the openxcom and the new nightly as per the instructions. Run the game before you throw in mods and stuff. Start a new game and make save. A new folder will be created in your documents now (search it by using the savegames name). Install your mods, place your save files.

Offline Phoenix7786

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 08:34:54 am »
After you install the 1.0 milestone but before you copy your raw UFO enemy Unknown folders, install the nightly. THEN delete the data folder and THEN put your raw UFOEU folders into the UFO folder from the nightly.

Offline Zandman64

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 11:41:37 am »
Hi Guys,

Thank you for your assistance. I don't think I've explained myself very well here;

I'm not trying to retrieve save games, already installed Mods or the like, I'm try to "Start from Scratch" again.  I deleted Open Xcom and all my save files & Mods completely so I could re-install Version 1 and start again.  The download has worked fine and I can play Version 1 without issue however when I have redownloaded the various Mods I want to use, I can't follow the install instructions as I appear to have a different veriosn.  My Open Xcom still has the "Data" folder which when I open that, has the old folders for "TERRAIN", "MAPS" etc.  I don't have a "MODS" folder to put mods into or a /UFO folder.

I am assuming I have done something incorrectly, I just can't figure out what.

Zandman

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 12:05:40 pm »
Assuming you use Windows: You need to download the latest nightly from here: https://openxcom.org/git-builds/

And pray that something is not terribly broken in that version. Not that 1.0 was bug-free, mind you. And you can always download another version if the latest has a big boo-boo in it.

Afterwards, drop your X-Com 1 directories in the directory named UFO found where you unpacked the nightly archive.

Offline Zandman64

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 03:21:26 pm »
Thanks, I will try that when I get home.

Zandman

Offline Phoenix7786

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2015, 07:46:31 pm »
No worries Zand I was as clueless as you were when I first tried this stuff out (just read my post history to see some dumb shit I did and asked). We're here to help.

1) Find your UFO Defense disc or contents. As a source-port you need original files from the original disc. UFO Defense can be bought legally from a variety of sources, including Steam and probably others like Good Old Games.com (gog.com) and gamersgate (gamersgate.com). Unfortunately I don't think any of us will help you if you ask to pirate it or find an abandonware copy somewhere.

2) Download and install the OpenXcom (often abbreviated as OXC) milestone 1.0 1.0 will ask you to point out the folders with the original UFO defense folders. IGNORE THIS STEP (I'll explain why in just a second).

3) Download the latest nightly. OXC 1.0 is showing a bit of age now compared to the Nightly builds that have come out. The Nightlies are as simple to install as downloading them and extracting the contents of the nightly to your OXC folder, overwriting anything it asks about. They are also required for many mods now.

4) The latest nightlies necessitated a somewhat big re-haul to the 1.0 OXC system. Originally, we just dumped shit into a Data folder (which was simplified by the installer pulling the folders it needed and automatically dumping it into the data folder). With the TFTD (Terror From The Deep; the first sequel) support version coming out soon, the Data folder is now obsolete. This is because TFTD folders and UFO Defense folders must now be separated. The old Data folder must be deleted.

5) Now that you have installed OXC 1.0, extracted the latest nightly, and deleted the obsolete data folder, it's time to find your raw UFO Defense files. Open up your OXC folder. Locate your UFO folder inside OXC. Copy and paste the following folders from your raw UFO Defense folder: GEODATA, GEOGRAPH, MAPS, MISSDAT, ROUTES, SOUND, TERRAIN, UFOGRAPH, UFOINTRO, and finally UNITS.

6) At this point, your basic OXC should be ready to rock'n'roll. If you want, give it a test run and ensure it loads properly. That being done, it's time to help you with mods. Luckily you are a fellow Windows user (even if you are running Shitsta) so I can help you with your mods. Go into your computer and locate your username folder or your myuserdocuments or whatever Windows Shitsta has it named. You'll know you found what you're looking for when you find a folder named OpenXcom. This folder contains your saved games. Inside it, create a new folder called mods.

7) Open up this mods folder and place the mods you want. Make sure the mods you place are un-zipped. For example, I have the shotgun and sniper rifle mods placed there. When I launch OpenXcom and look at my options menu and go to mods, I'll see the 2 mods I downloaded listed there as toggables. Once you set a mod to on or off OXC will restart to take effect. This is completely normal.

8) Have fun and let us know if this worked!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 07:49:30 pm by Phoenix7786 »

Offline Zandman64

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 11:01:15 pm »
WOOT!  After much pfaffing and hunting down of where my system put bloody folders I managed to sort it :0).

Many thanks for your help people!

One happy Xcomer now.......right lets get some Soliders killed ;0)

Zandman

Offline Phoenix7786

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2015, 12:23:07 am »
Alright welcome to the club :D

OXC has fixed a LOOOOT of bugs and tweaked a lot of things around. A user previously directed me to this list of fixed bugs and it's worth looking at https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Differences_to_X-COM_(OpenXcom)