Author Topic: Let's Play OpenXcom: UFO Redux  (Read 78878 times)

Offline NeptunesNookGames

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel
Re: Let's Play OpenXcom: UFO Redux
« Reply #165 on: September 07, 2015, 05:49:05 am »
I just finished a TFTD LP before this Redux one (old school Dosbox) so I'll probably wait a bit before going back to it.  I'm debating on whether to do Apocalypse (although I might wait for OpenApoc), Xenonauts, or another Openxcom one like hardmode or Piratez.

niculinux

« Reply #166 on: September 07, 2015, 11:12:43 am »
A suggestion would be hellrazor's hardmode especially when v0.94 comes out [...]

Agree :)

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 25, 2015, 07:10:26 pm »
Was just watching episodes 77-79 there the other day and after checking the .rul file I can see why those pink dudes (called hybrid terrorists) are doing so much successful mind control.
Spoiler:
On superhuman level they have a 100% chance to successfully mc your best troop at 28 squares distance, way beyond visual range. So I wish you luck in any future dealings with them. Apart from blindly firing half a dozen or more blaster bombs in all directions on turn 1 I'm at a loss as to what tactic to use against them.

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
  • Squaddie cautiously peering through the breach
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 26, 2015, 03:51:37 pm »

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #169 on: September 27, 2015, 05:58:24 pm »
Was just watching episodes 77-79 there the other day and after checking the .rul file I can see why those pink dudes (called hybrid terrorists) are doing so much successful mind control.
Spoiler:
On superhuman level they have a 100% chance to successfully mc your best troop at 28 squares distance, way beyond visual range. So I wish you luck in any future dealings with them. Apart from blindly firing half a dozen or more blaster bombs in all directions on turn 1 I'm at a loss as to what tactic to use against them.

Oh my!  If there was only 1 or 2 it might be doable, but with so many of them I don't have a clue how your supposed to deal with that.

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 27, 2015, 06:35:33 pm »
Spoiler:
If you were to a get a standard terror/battle ship you might only have 2 or 3 of them to deal with but the facility type mission you tried there recently I suspect there was around half a dozen of them. Admittedly I'm looking at superhuman level on version 0.72 so I'm not sure what way they work out on your LP as I'm not sure what version you're using. If I mind right the last version of redux I tried was 0.54 and those dudes were the main reason why I gave up. I suppose as you tried you could drop your weapons each go til the hybrids are wiped out or possibly put your weapon in your backpack at the end of each turn so you don't have to hunt around for a gun but surely the AI would equip that weapon when it has your troop(s) mind controlled. Finally though this would be cheating edit their stats down a bit from base 110/62 psiStrength/psiSkill. I'm about to attempt a playthrough of FMP v1.71 and the Ethereal Commanders are very strong on superhuman 87/92 but that's challenging not next to impossible as they have to close to 8 squares to mc your best troop 100% of the time. You could also try either of these mods as they give armors that boost psi stats somewhat.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 07:14:12 pm by SIMON »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 27, 2015, 09:46:17 pm »
I don't have a clue how your supposed to deal with that.

Retreat is always an option. At least until you're better equipped to deal with the hybrids.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 09:47:48 pm by Hobbes »

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #172 on: September 28, 2015, 12:58:48 am »
Retreat is always an option. At least until you're better equipped to deal with the hybrids.
Is it possible to be better equipped against them?  I realized my crew at the time wasn't really suited for it, but if they have a 100% chance of grabbing anyone and there's around 6 of them at a site, what can you possibly do to combat that?  I'm not criticizing, I really like having challenging aliens to deal with, I just don't see how that kind of site could be taken without a few VERY lucky blaster bombs at turn 1.

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #173 on: October 08, 2015, 04:40:31 pm »
Big day in Reduxland... Happy Cinco de Mayo  ;D

Episode 91

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 08, 2015, 05:24:48 pm »
Is it possible to be better equipped against them?  I realized my crew at the time wasn't really suited for it, but if they have a 100% chance of grabbing anyone and there's around 6 of them at a site, what can you possibly do to combat that?  I'm not criticizing, I really like having challenging aliens to deal with, I just don't see how that kind of site could be taken without a few VERY lucky blaster bombs at turn 1.

To me the best way to counter Psi is to screen your troops, develop Psi-Amps and go on the offensive from turn 1, which means disembarking the HWP to spot aliens to mind control them, before the aliens get the chance to do it to you.

In any case, the other day I was rechecking the Psionic equations used and discovered that Psi Strength is also used when calculating the odds for psi attacks (and Psi Skill is also used for defense), which explains why the aliens have been so effective on psi (they have a +50% boost on Redux to help prevent players abusing Psi tactics), and why aliens so many times have 100% chance of control. The boost from Psi Strength is something like 2% increased for each 10 points of Psi Strength, so a Hybrid would have almost 10% additional chance due to the boost (the math might not be totally correct).

I've already revised this for 0.7 by removing the Psi Strength bonus from the psionic aliens, and reducing the Hybrids' Psi Skill. I can modify the 0.5.4 ruleset that you're using if you're finding them too hard. Otherwise, start building Psi Labs everywhere, because you'll really need to boost your soldiers psi stats.

Big day in Reduxland... Happy Cinco de Mayo  ;D

Congratulations on your first commander! :D

Offline XOps

• Colonel
  • Guy who drowns first
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 09, 2015, 11:13:40 pm »
I've already revised this for 0.7 by removing the Psi Strength bonus from the psionic aliens, and reducing the Hybrids' Psi Skill.

Did you alter any of the Hybrid's stats for Redux or did you copy paste? I never remember them being all that psi heavy in my mod. I gave them a high psi stat, but they never used it. Probably because they were always shooting at me instead :P

Edit: Sorry for the brief topic derail.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 11:17:25 pm by XOps »

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #176 on: October 09, 2015, 11:34:07 pm »
I've already revised this for 0.7 by removing the Psi Strength bonus from the psionic aliens, and reducing the Hybrids' Psi Skill. I can modify the 0.5.4 ruleset that you're using if you're finding them too hard.
Congratulations on your first commander! :D
"First"???  Does there need to be a second?  :-\

No need to modify, this part of the game is usually the least interesting part (at least in vanilla once most of the tech is done), but thanks to these crazy psi attacks it is far from uninteresting.   

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #177 on: October 10, 2015, 01:34:19 am »
I gave them a high psi stat, but they never used it. Probably because they were always shooting at me instead :P

I had the same problem with another custom race. But after several dozen battles, I've concluded that they do use psi attacks, just very rarely... So don't lose hope! :)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 10, 2015, 03:02:49 pm »
Did you alter any of the Hybrid's stats for Redux or did you copy paste? I never remember them being all that psi heavy in my mod. I gave them a high psi stat, but they never used it. Probably because they were always shooting at me instead :P

Edit: Sorry for the brief topic derail.

I gave it the 50% boost on Psi Strength to all the aliens that was mentioned before.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #179 on: October 16, 2015, 10:14:35 am »
I gave it the 50% boost on Psi Strength to all the aliens that was mentioned before.

Did you adjust the Psi Skill on psionic aliens, so they have the same Psi AS as in vanilla, or are they just MCing the shit out of the player?