aliens

Author Topic: power facility that is req for other facilities to operate  (Read 16968 times)

Offline Arpia

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: power facility that is req for other facilities to operate
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2015, 11:40:09 am »
It can't hurt to have a definable sub resource. Make it so we can customise the name, see what the modders can do with it.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2015, 02:32:04 pm »
or how about the facility is also a storage unit of 20.  so is no completely usless .
make it 1x1 and have 2 different types: power generator and elerium power generator

power generator provides 8 power
each square uses up 1 power
so you gonna need 2 /base at least

elerium power generator provides 16 power
so you need just 1 / base

if not enough power  (generator is lost) in the base all research/manufacturing time is increased by 25%
You could fake it in my extended version, Create new building named "power generator" with `provideBaseFunc: [FAKE_POWER]` and for every manufacture add
`requiresBaseFunc: [FAKE_POWER]`. Biggest limitation is that it always require only one building, but at least you can't build manufactures without prior power generator. Some building could require better power, then you can add "elerium power generator" that will have `provideBaseFunc: [FAKE_POWER, FAKE_POWER_BETTER]`. After that buildings like "plasma defence" will require `provideBaseFunc: [FAKE_POWER_BETTER]`.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2015, 06:56:49 pm »
But then you need the elerium power generator to consume elerium too! ;)

Offline mrxian

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2015, 07:15:12 pm »
But then you need the elerium power generator to consume elerium too! ;)
What? No, if you properly use elerium, a single unit of elerium should be able to power a base for like, years. Just make the construction of the unit cost like 25 elerium, and assume that lasts to at leas the conclusion of the game.
If a weight unit is around 500 grams, then a unit of elerium is 30 grams. Which turns into about 2.6*10^15 joules of energy. Which is 722 million kwh. Which in turn is enough to power a town of 50,000 people for a year. (In the USA, that is - over here in Europe we use a little less energy).

I hope I did that math right. :P

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2015, 08:41:31 pm »
Looking at how much elerium is consumed by XCOM crafts, I highly doubt that it is being "properly used" :P

Offline mrxian

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2015, 04:47:24 am »
From what I gathered, the crafts only use part of the energy generated, the gravity waves. Not sure where the rest of the energy goes.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2015, 05:06:44 am »
And what good would that do if we had something like this?
It doesn't fit well into the game concept the OG has. So i am not interested.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2015, 05:34:09 am »
i always figured the maintenance cost for the facility was the power bill.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2015, 03:50:02 pm »
i always figured the maintenance cost for the facility was the power bill.

I totally concur!!

Offline mrxian

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2015, 01:36:11 am »
At $5000 per month for even a simple storeroom, that's a whole lot of lights they have in there.

Offline KORfan

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • KORfan's photos
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2015, 09:33:31 pm »
Keep in mind that all of the computers are running DOS or Win95.  It takes a lot of money to  get  the IT department to work with that stuff, and paying that electric bill isn't exactly easy on those computers.  Maintenance workers on the alien containment structure require bonuses for dealing with the sewage system as well.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2015, 01:30:06 am »
Keep in mind that all of the computers are running DOS or Win95.  It takes a lot of money to  get  the IT department to work with that stuff

> implying computers from 1999 had more power requirement
> implying a secret base would use Windows 95 or DOS instead of some UNIX
> even if it would, implying DOS is hard for IT engineers (except for networking, it's not made for that)
I'm afraid this argument doesn't hold water very well. :P

As for the facility itself... Well, I don't know. For the sake of immersion I'd like to see some sort of a maintenance facility, for generating power, processing waste and managing various base functions, but I'm not sure how to do it in a meaningful way.

Offline mrxian

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2015, 02:31:45 am »
> implying computers from 1999 had more power requirement
> implying a secret base would use Windows 95 or DOS instead of some UNIX
> even if it would, implying DOS is hard for IT engineers (except for networking, it's not made for that)
I'm afraid this argument doesn't hold water very well. :P
This made me chuckle, thanks
As for the facility itself... Well, I don't know. For the sake of immersion I'd like to see some sort of a maintenance facility, for generating power, processing waste and managing various base functions, but I'm not sure how to do it in a meaningful way.
Rename the general stores to storage and maintenance.
Makes a lot of sense considering how little room there is in a general stores, and every base needs a general stores to start with anyway.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2015, 10:24:09 am »
Rename the general stores to storage and maintenance.
Makes a lot of sense considering how little room there is in a general stores, and every base needs a general stores to start with anyway.

Not a bad idea. Would require some additional graphics/mapping and of course being forced at the base start, along the main lift.

But what would happen if this facility was destroyed? Can it be destroyed? After all it's way more complicated, design-wise, than it seems.

Offline mrxian

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2015, 10:50:48 am »
I've never had facilities destroyed. I'm not sure what people do to manage it. I don't use a lot of explosives, but I've used my fair share of blaster bombs in base defense.
My storage unit is virtually always the first facility I build in a base (since it houses tanks, and having tanks near the entrance is great in base defense). Even if it's not the first thing to be built, it's going to be one of the first. So the majority of the base is going to be disconnected from the access lift if it's destroyed (which destroys the entire base if memory serves).

It's only complicated if you choose to make it so. Virtually any functional base needs a storage unit anyway, so if it's destroyed it needs to be rebuilt or the base won't function well anyway. In my own base designs, it being destroyed usually means a near total base loss anyway.
You can gloss things over lorewise by saying you are using portable generators and make-shift solutions untill main power is back online.
If you feel like editing the map, just stick an alien power supply unit somewhere on the top floor.