aliens

Author Topic: The PSX version had cutscenes, apparently.....  (Read 13944 times)

Offline Taberone

• Captain
    • View Profile
The PSX version had cutscenes, apparently.....
« on: December 28, 2014, 11:19:00 pm »
There used to be a video on youtube showing all the cutscenes the PS1 version of UFO Defense had. There was one for aborting the mission (Pilot takes off, flies over the corpses of XCOM agents), failing the mission (Mutons open fire and kill the pilot), flying to cydonia, losing the game (Aliens kill off the Council Of Funding Nations?), beating the game (Animated 3D showing cydonia exploding and soldiers cheering).

The video seems to be lost, as when I search "XCOM Psx cutscenes" I only get cutscenes from Enemy Unknown(2012), annoyingly. Anyone who can find the original video? On a side note, is it possible to bring the psx cutscenes to the pc version?

EDIT: Heres what the victory cutscene looks like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klZFG8nrnAg

This is a screenshot of one of the cutscenes from the PSX version.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 11:25:20 pm by Taberone »

Offline redrat9595

• Sergeant
  • Good Times
    • View Profile
Re: The PSX version had cutscenes, apparently.....
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 01:49:42 am »
Yeah, I actually started my X-COM career on the PSX version. It had better smoke, cutscenes, neat loading screens, turned black backgrounds into this weird purple cloudy image, better sounds...

And it made the controls in the DOS version look beautifully intuitive. Imagine using a D-pad to move the mouse pointer around the screen. X is left click, O is right (you could open doors without walking in on PSX). The other option was a hot spot interface, in which each tile and button on screen was a "spot" you could select with the D-pad. This was a little better, until you realize they never coded in a way to open doors in the hot spot interface.  ::) You also only had one save per memory card, and the loading times were atrocious. This was especially bad because the game always chose to get stuck either on a loading screen or on an alien activity screen; this didn't stop the slow pulsating animation "Loading..." and" ALIEN ACTIVITY" had, though, so you were often left wondering if it was stuck or just trying to calculate every alien's movement in a super-packed alien base.

The cutscenes were pretty great, though. I wish there were a way to swap out the PSX ones with the DOS narratives and intro, but hey. They were cheesy early 2000's CGI, anyway, so I guess it's not so important.

Offline Taberone

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 08:51:08 am »
Do you know where I can find the video that had all the PSX cutscenes in one? Its on Youtube somewhere, but it probably got deleted or made private.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 03:33:13 pm »
Do you know where I can find the video that had all the PSX cutscenes in one? Its on Youtube somewhere, but it probably got deleted or made private.

You can download all of the PSX videos here: https://www.strategycore.co.uk/files/ufo-enemy-unknown/media/

Offline Pinetree

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 11:31:04 am »
Yeah, I actually started my X-COM career on the PSX version. It had better smoke, cutscenes, neat loading screens, turned black backgrounds into this weird purple cloudy image, better sounds...

And it made the controls in the DOS version look beautifully intuitive. Imagine using a D-pad to move the mouse pointer around the screen. X is left click, O is right (you could open doors without walking in on PSX). The other option was a hot spot interface, in which each tile and button on screen was a "spot" you could select with the D-pad. This was a little better, until you realize they never coded in a way to open doors in the hot spot interface.  ::) You also only had one save per memory card, and the loading times were atrocious. This was especially bad because the game always chose to get stuck either on a loading screen or on an alien activity screen; this didn't stop the slow pulsating animation "Loading..." and" ALIEN ACTIVITY" had, though, so you were often left wondering if it was stuck or just trying to calculate every alien's movement in a super-packed alien base.

The cutscenes were pretty great, though. I wish there were a way to swap out the PSX ones with the DOS narratives and intro, but hey. They were cheesy early 2000's CGI, anyway, so I guess it's not so important.
My intro to x-com was on the psx too. The music was awesome. I never had the control issues as I actually went out and bought the psx mouse and it worked great. I had one of those mega memory cards that had 10 pages of memory slots that you switched by pressing a button on the card. It crashed on me one day with my only x-com save on it. I was gutted as I was just about to hit Cydonia.

Offline Sharp

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 12:21:20 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htwC1_e-KeU

Offline the_third_curry

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 07:16:25 am »
I also started with the PSX version. The controls are clunky, but its got one of favorite sountracks of all time.

Offline Hollow_Fang

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 06:45:33 am »
I'd love to see a way to replace the Open Xcom with the PSx videos  ;)
or even clips from modern x-com LOL
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 06:48:39 am by Hollow_Fang »

x60mmx

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 09:26:18 pm »
I'd love to see a mod that brought back the cutscenes and music from the PSX port, that's where I started as well.  The 3d crafts in the wikipedia were cool too but I'm ok with those going away for to make modder's lives easier.

Offline Taberone

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 05:51:16 am »
Does PSX TFTD have cutscenes too?

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 09:57:04 am »
pc tftd had cutscenes

Offline Jstank

• Colonel
  • 100% Un-Professional XCOM Lets Player
    • View Profile
    • FINAL MOD PACK LP OUT SOON NOW RECRUITING! SIGN UP TODAY!
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 09:24:31 pm »
I always assumed the final mission was a one way trip for those soldiers.  :'(

x60mmx

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2015, 11:34:49 pm »
I never saw the PC TFTD cutscenes, but the PSX UFO Defense cutscenes were really awesome and did not look like they had been wedged in.  I hope we see them available in Open OXC someday!

Offline Oladele.Itsifanus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2017, 09:22:35 pm »
Someone has done this recently: http://www.openxcom.com/mod/ufo-defense-psx-cinematics

Yet both link is down, does anyone have it? It looks fun.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2017, 09:32:46 pm »
Someone has done this recently: http://www.openxcom.com/mod/ufo-defense-psx-cinematics

Yet both link is down, does anyone have it? It looks fun.

Try contacting the author: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=2178

send them a message. 

The link on the mods site suffers from its chronic bug that builds download links with characters that don't work.  Often removing the file and reuploading until a working link is generated will act as a work around. 

Alternately, sylandro could post the mod on the forums here.