Author Topic: UFO/TFTD hybrid game discussion  (Read 20265 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: UFO/TFTD hybrid game discussion
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2014, 07:09:45 pm »
For example, a Beach Terror :
Levels 0 and 1 are underwater, with sand, rocks, reefs and angry lobstermen.
Levels 2 and 3 are flat sand, dunes, and girls playing beachball.

Dude, that's... just... awesome. :)

Offline NoelBuddy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2014, 10:06:43 pm »
Regarding the missions, you could have two flags for aliens: LivesOnLand (true/false) and LivesInWater (T/F).

Most TftD aliens would have both true, except the obviously underwater ones. All UFO:EU aliens would have LIW: false.

Like the idea, but I don't know that all the UFO aliens should be LIW: False.  Snake men may be better swimmers than their cumbersom land movement, maybe they are closer to Eelmen we never saw it because we weren't equipped to go check.  Maybe they can't breathe, but can hold their breath for days.  They would need some weaponry adjustment tho, and not just sprouting sonic weaponry.  As for Chrysalids, have you ever tried to drown a bug, it's not easy and they need to be stuck in the water for a long time, they may never make it to land but they'd be alive around the crash site for a while.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2014, 10:20:34 pm »
Maybe they can't breathe, but can hold their breath for days. They would need some weaponry adjustment tho, and not just sprouting sonic weaponry.

Hey, they have those small backpacks... which look a bit like an LSS? :)

As for Chrysalids, have you ever tried to drown a bug, it's not easy and they need to be stuck in the water for a long time, they may never make it to land but they'd be alive around the crash site for a while.

Nah, with their hypermetabolism they should die pretty quickly.

Offline yhe1

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2014, 06:16:20 am »
I think the best course of action would be to have a "vanilla Hybrid" game. (TFTD aliens on Land and Water, UFO Aliens land Only, Separate research trees). All the other stuff could be done as mods later. I mean, all we really wants is for TFTD and Xcom Aliens to fight together, and use Blaster bombs against Lobsterman, right?

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2014, 05:26:43 pm »
Quote from: Hobbes
* One nice thing to add would be that the T'Leth mission would be a suicidal one, since the city explodes at the end of TFTD so you'd lose both the craft and the soldiers. Who do you choose to die on that mission?
The players would hate this.

Let's do it! :D
Why? I like to devote the characters (in this game - best soldiers) of the game, because #YOLO :D But srsly now, I like to devote, because in real life if I will be that soldier I will devote myself to safe the world from global and important problem, if it will be necessary.

About the rest, well, I'm not sure about that. I think both UFO: EU and X-COM: TftD should be separate games for OpenXcom. We don't know how will react new gamers/forum users if it will be implement.

Offline yhe1

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2015, 06:49:20 am »
Now that support for TFTD is coming along, is it time to restart this discussion? I vote for a vanilla approach first, with UFO alien unable to survive in water and destroy both T'leth and cydonia.

Offline yhe1

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2018, 03:10:23 am »
Is there still somebody wanting to work on a Hybrid game? Just import the ufo stuff into TFTD as a mod?

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2018, 03:48:31 pm »
Is there still somebody wanting to work on a Hybrid game? Just import the ufo stuff into TFTD as a mod?
It's not that simple. One needs to merge some binary data files to make it work. I did it for globe and its textures here https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,5869.msg104424.html#msg104424 , but started writing an unrelated mod, putting the merge on hold. I haven't even started with missions, regions and such. You are welcome to try what I posted there.

P.S. The big problem I encountered immediately — the games use different palettes and assets need to be converted to use one or the other. The engine makes certain assumptions and the converter has to account for them — in this case, ocean colours have to use a certain range of indexes, cannot use some other blues.

P.P.S. Just noticed that I didn't post the corrected merged textures after solving the yellow shadow problem. I'll post them tonight.Spoke too soon — it's still there.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 12:00:37 pm by tkzv »

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2018, 03:07:09 am »

Several people have made or are working on UFO mods that import in TFTD items ( including myself), but so far i have not seen a  actual working Hybrid.

Offline yhe1

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2018, 01:13:09 am »
so the main obstacle to getting to Hybrid game to work is the geoscape?

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2018, 11:04:10 am »
so the main obstacle to getting to Hybrid game to work is the geoscape?
No, it's the first obstacle :)
A hybrid game requires writing a mod the size of UFO+TFTD combined, and less copypasting than initially expected. Since converting sprites is pretty straightforward and the result is immediately usable, most do just that.

Offline AndO3131

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2018, 06:38:34 pm »
I vaguely remember something like geoscape hybrid has been started already
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,1312.msg12079.html#msg12079

Offline Niewiem

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2019, 01:49:26 pm »
Also Solarius included some parts of TFTD and even Apoc in XCom-Files :)
But this is not exactly hybrid game.

Offline efrenespartano

• Commander
  • I know a lot about the law and other lawyerings.
    • View Profile
UFO/TFTD hybrid game discussion
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2019, 08:04:20 pm »
Two mods that I know incorporate characteristics of a hybrid game between UFO and TFTD are The X-Com Files, by Solarius Scorch and the new project of Luke83, OXC Factions. TXCF is more faithful to TFTD and its underwater missions are cool! Factions actively incorporates the textures of the ocean, making it possible to shoot down an UFO at sea and assault it on an underwater mission. Although Factions is set in an alternate Alien War and its story is very different.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2019, 06:21:03 am »
Although Factions is set in an alternate Alien War and its story is very different.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

And largely unwritten :)